10w30 Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In preparation for my upcoming winter oil change, I was at an auto parts store hoping to find 10w30 diesel oil for my 7.3 PSD and of course all that was available was 15w40. I asked the counter man if there was any 10w30 available and he looked at me like I was speaking another language. He then went on to say he had straight 30 weight for winter use. I sad to him no one would run straight 30 weight in the winter. He looked at me like I was nuts. Hopefully, he doesn't have a diesel pick up. LOL

Thought about Rotella T6 5-40??? My father in law's 99 F350 7.3 Turbo did fine with it this past winter. Around late spring I go back to the Motorcraft 15-40.

I do know the Ford Dealers carry the PSD 10w30 in the 5 quart jugs, but they are a little pricey. Too bad WM doesn't stock a few other brands of diesel 10w30. Ford also has the MC PSD 5w40 in 5 quart jugs it too was more than the Rotella T-6.

I found a small Auto Parts chain in the NE that carries Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Diesel Dino in 10W-30. That store is Strauss Auto parts and is located in NY, NJ and PA.

That is the only retail establishment that I've been able to find 10W-30 Diesel Dino oil. When they had a special last winter, I bought quite a few gallons for future OCIs.

Yeah I had a AAP counter dude lecture me that they never made a 10w30 diesel oil. I had to go out to my car, get the empty container of Rotella and say...."Would you like to re-evaluate your previous statement?"

Walmart has the T5 right now for $16.00 a jug plus the $2.00 coupon attached. $14.00 a jug is steal for this high quality oil. I would go with it for sure.

They make a bunch of them in 10w30, but you won't readily find any of them in a gallon jug other than Rotella. As mentioned above Wal-mart has the T5, and AAP, O'Reilly's and NAPA all carry the T3.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Find a local Shell distributor and skip the parts store.

+1. My local Shell service station was able to order some for me, as well the local O'Reillys (formerly Kragen). I realize I'm on the left coast, but I'm sure you can get it.

I have used the 10w-30 Delo. I found it at a Chevron Distributor on there website. I had to order three 1-gallon containers because 1 order contained three in the boxed package. It was the same price as the 15w-40.

Turbowhistle: My Ford dealer sells the 10W30 MC Super Duty oil at $3.34/qt (as of a coupla month ago) and I bought two cases. On specs alone, it looks to be good oil and I am running a load in my Ford pickup now. At WM the T5 is $4/qt ($16/jug) and when they put that $2 off sticker on, I bought every one with a sticker. My nearby Rural King keeps 10W30 Rotella TP in gallons and quarts ($13.50-ish for the gallons) and Menards always has the 10W30 Rotella for around $13 lately. I have seen the 10W30 Rotella at the local O'Riellys lately but do not recall the price. Tractor Supply always has the T5 10W40 HDEO but it's near $17/gal IIRC.

Our local Autozone (New Castle, IN) carries the T5 10W-30. I stopped by another one in Muncie, and they didn't have any. So, I don't know how widespread the availability of T5 in Autozone would be, but that is another possible retailer.

Last edited:
Jim,

Thanks for the information. I have purchased the MC PSD oil in the past, it's good oil just as you said.

Most Advance Auto Parts can order Rotella 10w-30 and I am lucky that most Wally Worlds have T5...that being said it sells out fast. Any "powerstroke" repair shop, like minuteman truck in Walpole, MA has the MC oil.

I've only found Rotella 10w-30 once at an AdvanceAuto. Bought all 3 gallons they had too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
He then went on to say he had straight 30 weight for winter use.
The old two-stroke Detroit diesel engines use CF-2 SAE 30 oil in winter. Still some of those screaming around in older construction equipment, buses, cranes, boats, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back