lucas oil stablizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive used it in my old beater neon before for about 20k miles. No ill effects. Even a guy at AAP used it in his truck before never gave him problems. I think the people that hate it never used it before?

1]If your using any good grade of oil , why do you feel the need to "Stabilise" it? 2]Can you tell any difference? 3] If your car is burning oil, why not just use a heavier grade of oil? It has to be cheaper then buying a miracle in a can.,,

Well since all it does it thicken the oil and water down the additive package since it contains no detergents or anti wear additives, it does more to destabilize the host oil IMHO.

Just go up a viscosity grade and forget the Lucas. Probably get better results and save some money.

Lucas OS was a big thing at a car dealership I worked at. Any trades my manager took that had engine noises got a dose of it from the shop. This guy was clueless when it came to taking trades. In fact it quieted several engines down, so much so that when the customer changed the oil a few came back with complaints. Good stuff if you plan on unloading a car with ticks, taps, and knocks.

We took some really nasty sounding trade ins at the Ford dealer I worked at. All those triton motors with bad cam phasers....some of em make as much noise as diesels. We often just sent em to the auction.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
We took some really nasty sounding trade ins at the Ford dealer I worked at. All those triton motors with bad cam phasers....some of em make as much noise as diesels. We often just sent em to the auction.

The manager we had, tried to retail some of the bombs he took in because he would have lost $$ at auction. The shop would call and ask what we wanted to do with these cars, and he'd tell them pour in whatever you have too to quiet them down so he wouldn't have to take the loss. This guy had no business taking trades. His hope was the F&I manager would sell an extended warranty and it would be the warranty companies problem once the car was on the road. The strategy was hit or miss at best, and bit him in the arse more than once. Not a good way to do business, and another reason why I don't trust dealerships. I'm glad I know how to check out a car.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Not a good way to do business, and another reason why I don't trust dealerships.

Major +1!!

You cannot trust anyone looking to get your money. Because they want what you have. And humans WILL do some messed up stuff to get money.

It's not only dealerships. It's just human nature.

We ALL do it. Thats why the buyer has to do everything they can to ensure they are getting what they pay for. . .

I will say the dealership i worked at was pretty good and honest though. Mainly cause we were the small fry in the area as far as Ford dealers and the BIG dealer had a habit of chasing people off. Rarely would a car older than 2005 hit the lot in 2010 when I was there unless it was super super clean.

I was in sales, and I was honest. I took out the file on each car showing the inspection, what was ID'ed, what was fixed...ect and showed it to the people. I honestly steered people away from what I considered subpar models like Chryslers with the dreaded sludger 2.7. I wont sell a product I don't believe in. Of course I was not making a career of it either.

Justice Bros. makes an oil treatment that is for clunking smoking critters. The MSDS looks a little more sensible, and I've actually used it on "Last Leg" cars, and the noises quit... and even stayed away for a few OCI's...after the JB was dumped. weird.

I've been a devout Lucas oil stabilizer user since 1999. I've been working on dirt race cars dating back to 1986 and the team I was with in 99' raced Dirt Super Late models. We used a well known professional builder and had been using the same builder for several years. How it came to be was we had just installed a newly rebuilt engine in the car and went to our local parts store for oil, filters and other essential parts. While we were checking out at the counter I started playing with the Lucas Oil display you crank by hand and watch the stabilizer cling to the gears. I asked the car owner what he thought and we bought a quart to try it out in the newly rebuilt engine. We ran the engine without incident, changed the oil at regular intervals and always used the Lucas Oil stabilizer until time for a new rebuild. We dropped the engine off at the builders shop and went back to the shop to do maintenance on the car and wait on the refreshened power plant.

When we went back to pick up the engine the builder wanted to know what oil we'd been using... We told him we ran what he recommended only we had added the Lucas Oil stabilizer. Curious, we asked why? What he told us was, when he tore down the engine that the valve springs were exactly what he expected for the number of laps we'd run, but that the bottom end bearings showed very little wear, almost half as much as the expected norm. Now this was in a 750+HP Dirt Super Late model engine that see's 8,000+ RPM's on a weekly basis. After this I became a regular user in every vehicle I own, lawn equipment included and in the 12 years since I've never had and engine failure. Now I don't know how it works or why, but I'm sold on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back