Royal Purple color loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my truck to the dealership (to keep it certified) for its oil change. I provided the oil and filter, both Royal Purple. After the 6.5-mile-drive home, I pulled the dipstick and it was brown.

Now, I've been using RP in my '99 Cherokee for years and the color seems to have remained purple for atleast 200 miles. However, it this was my first time using RP oil and filter in my 2011 EcoBoost F150. I've already changed the oil twice with regular ol' Valvoline and a FoMoCo filter at 200 miles and 2000 miles. The truck now had 5000 miles on it.

I told the service Writer that I didn't think he put in RP in. He showed me the empty bottles, but that doesn't mean anything.
The dealer's service department has mishandled the entire situation from the get go. They question my motives and were upset that I was "questioning" his lube tech's integrity. I'll be talking to the manager tomorrow.

So, am I mistaken?

I would of watched him pour it in the engine. This happened to me with Amsoil. I bought 7 quarts of Amsoil to the dealer and when the dealer did the oil change I saw a guy through the glass move my Amsoil to a trash can and put old paper towels over it. I was [censored] and I proceeded to see him pour some [censored] oil in my engine. I called for the manager and told him what I saw. He told me to walk over to the trash can with him. He removed the old paper towels on top and sure enough my 7 quarts of Amsoil was in there. He turned red and looked [censored]. He pulled the oil out and told the guy who I saw put it in to get into his office. Another guy did the oil change with the Amsoil and I watched him. This happens with a lot of expensive oil since some people are to cheap to buy it for themselves they have to steal it.

I would not be to hard on the dealer. I've seen Royal Purple turn its natural color within the first few miles. But, if you really think the dealer is that shady, never go back.

After 6.5 miles?

Yes, it should still be purple.

Ask these folks how long RP should typically hold its color, and ask if it's reasonable to expect total color loss after so few miles.

Originally Posted By: glum
Ask these folks how long RP should typically hold its color, and ask if it's reasonable to expect total color loss after so few miles.

I intend to tomorrow, but it's the weekend.

It should still be purple, you got hosed....

If you ever make a special request like that... MAKE SURE to watch them do the work, he likely put the jug off to the side for himself and just put in the dino from the dealerships drum for you.

You are better off buying a set of car ramps and finding 1 hr and a level surface and changing your own oil.

While I agree, you should change your own earl, it's interesting to note that the color of the oil could be influenced by the remaining oil in the engine. I wonder how long they drained the old oil? What is total capacity?

Yep,it stays purple MUCH longer than 6 miles. Back when I used it a few times,it stayed purple for most of the 3 month oci.

Yeah I would have pulled the stick before I left to check the color. Seen this happen before as well. Shame people cant be honest.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
While I agree, you should change your own earl, it's interesting to note that the color of the oil could be influenced by the remaining oil in the engine. I wonder how long they drained the old oil? What is total capacity?

+1!!! your engine is going to keep about a quart of more oil in it anyway in the oil galley and ports. put that with an incomplete drain and maybe some really dark oil and i could see it looking brownish.

if you think you got hosed drain a qt into a clean clear container. if it doesnt have purple tint maybe they got you. afterward just put the oil back in the fill

i have used RP myself and i could not see any purple on the stick. it looked the same (clear) as any other fresh oil.

When I put Royal Purple in my ex wife's Honda a few years ago it didn't even stay purple for one minute! After letting the old oil drain for at least a half hour, and then putting in RP and running the engine for 30 seconds, when I checked the dipstick it was not purple at all. It just looked like regular clean oil.

I can change the oil, no problem. However, keeping the car certified adds value to the vehicle when I get ready to trade it in. I'll probably stand there and watch them do it from now on, especially at a different dealership.

I will say that the RP didn't always stay purple in my Cherokee until after the 4th or 5th oil change w/ RP. Then it stayed purple for around 200 miles. Still stays purple on the 188,000-mile Jeep. So, I don't know why a 5000-mile twin-turbo truck wouldn't have a clean enough engine to keep the oil purple after 2 starts in 6.5 miles, too.

Originally Posted By: Patman
When I put Royal Purple in my ex wife's Honda a few years ago it didn't even stay purple for one minute! After letting the old oil drain for at least a half hour, and then putting in RP and running the engine for 30 seconds, when I checked the dipstick it was not purple at all. It just looked like regular clean oil.

Agreed. I did an oil change for a guy who supplied his own oil - Royal Purple. It was their off the shelf 5w-30 and it went into a Chrysler Town and Country with the 3.8. I filled it, started the engine to check for leaks, then shut it back off to wait for the oil to drain back. After that, as customary I checked the oil level - it was NOT PURPLE! It was straw colored with MAYBE a tinge of purple tint...

Originally Posted By: Pablo

6 quarts of 5W-30

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Patman

Agreed. I did an oil change for a guy who supplied his own oil - Royal Purple. It was their off the shelf 5w-30 and it went into a Chrysler Town and Country with the 3.8. I filled it, started the engine to check for leaks, then shut it back off to wait for the oil to drain back. After that, as customary I checked the oil level - it was NOT PURPLE! It was straw colored with MAYBE a tinge of purple tint...

I really think a lot of that has to do with the cleanliness of the engine.

Another test you can do,pull out the dipstick and smell the oil that`s on it. Also,take off the oil fill cap and smell the inside of the oil fill area,RP has a VERY distinctive "rubbery atf"-like smell. You`ll know then if they put your RP in.

OP;

I have seen the dye in RP last a long time and burn off fast. I don't think it is a sign you got screwed because the color was gone in 6 miles. That is possible. Member aquariuscsm is correct though that RP has a very distinctive odor. Kind of a burnt or acrid smell to me. If you know what it smells like you can try a whiff test.

Just a couple things. This was the 1st swap to RP in your 2011 right? If so I agree with the theory that old oil in there could be discoloring it as could break in material. I believe you said the vehicle is only at what 5K? Even with 2 prior OC's already you can still have a lot of break in crud in there at just 5K.

Also, most dealers let the vehicle sit and idle until operating temp is reached after an OC before checking the oil level. That adds more run time for the engine and it can be a lot if the mechanic gets tied up/distracted doing something else.

I understand your concern completely however. If it bothers you that much I would rbing it up the next time you go to the dealer and ask to watch to verify. If you were screwed this time it let's the mechanics know you are on to them.

Question for you??? You state you are having work done at the dealer to help maintain warranty correct( I do this too using my RP and filter ). If so make sure the RP you are using is the new reformulated version that is API SN with the Starburst. That stuff has just hit the market. The previous formula was API SL and would not qualify for your Ford warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back