2002 Honda Odyssey Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to do an oil change on a '02 Odyssey. She said it currently has Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in it. So I'm just going to go to Walmart and get a 5qt jug of that. I'm going to do the AAP deal and get a Purolator PureOne PL14459 for the oil filter.

1) Is this a pretty simple car to do a change on?
2) Will the crush washers I use on my CR-V work for this engine as well?
3) What is the torque for the drain plug? (If you don't know this, don't tell me just tightened it or what ever, I like to have the correct torque)

Thanks!

1) just like any other Honda
2) should be the same size so i don't see why not
3) just tighten it or whatever
lol.gif
(i didn't know people actually use a torque wrench for oil drain plugs, just hand tighten it)

The crush washer will work the same. It's even the same filter (as you know). Sorry, can't help you on the drain plug. I just hand tighten it.

The oil change isn't hard, but I don't like the filter location. It's on the side, near the passenger side suspension. It sticks out at a wonky angle and tends to dribble oil on the subframe and plastic guards. It's not the cleanest oil change, but it's not exactly hard either.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The crush washer will work the same. It's even the same filter (as you know). Sorry, can't help you on the drain plug. I just hand tighten it.

The oil change isn't hard, but I don't like the filter location. It's on the side, near the passenger side suspension. It sticks out at a wonky angle and tends to dribble oil on the subframe and plastic guards. It's not the cleanest oil change, but it's not exactly hard either.

oh ok thanks. When I did the search on AAP it gave me the PL14459, but my CR-V uses the PL14610. From the picture it looks shorter and fatter than mine. Is that going to be a problem?

OK got to look some stuff up. Had to use google to look up info for this site. But I found out that this filter (PL14459) will fit on this engine ok.

Also found that the factory torque setting is 29 lbs torque.

So I think I'm set.

Oh also, will there be enough room to fit my ratchet and adjustable filter cup up there on the side to get the filter out?

Thanks

The 2 filters are interchangeable. The pl14459 is superior filter to the pl14610. There is more filtering media as well as a better micron rating. The pl14459 filter would be my filter of choice unless there are clearance issues.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
The 2 filters are interchangeable. The pl14459 is superior filter to the pl14610. There is more filtering media as well as a better micron rating. The pl14459 filter would be my filter of choice unless there are clearance issues.

I would have said the same thing as my Nissan Altima 2.5 S uses the 14610 and when I can't fine it, I use the 14459. But after reading this post, I'm starting to question my thinking! I really don't think it matters much but, I do experience less start up rattle with the 14610 so, this it my filter of choice. I use to use on Honda's, the large 24458 which is discontinued and then only the 14459 with the 14610 as a last resort. Read this below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2298401&page=all

Originally Posted By: radtech91
OK got to look some stuff up. Had to use google to look up info for this site. But I found out that this filter (PL14459) will fit on this engine ok.

Well, I must apologize. Yes, the two filters are interchangeable, but I thought the actual specified filter was the same, but it looks like it's not.

Oh also, will there be enough room to fit my ratchet and adjustable filter cup up there on the side to get the filter out?

Yes, definitely.

Going to do an oil change on a '02 Odyssey. She said it currently has Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in it. So I'm just going to go to Walmart and get a 5qt jug of that. I'm going to do the AAP deal and get a Purolator PureOne PL14459 for the oil filter.
This is the same combination of oil and filter I use in my 2004 Odyssey. I change the washer with every oil change and torque the drain plug to 29 lb-ft. I typically change the oil with all four wheels on the ground. If you turn the wheel fully to the right, there's enough room to R/R the oil filter from the wheel well. However, I have to raise the front end a few inches by driving up on some home-made step ramps in order to get enough room to swing my wrench under there to torque down the plug ... so I make this the last step after tightening the drain plug and filling with fresh oil ... and I always apply spec torque to the drain plug twice. Once the plug developed an oil leak after torquing to spec so I applied torque to it a second time and found the plug actually tightened some more, but no more leak.

Last edited:
I had a 2002 Odyssey EX-L and used the original crush washer from 5 miles to 136,100 miles. It never leaked and I didn't use a torque wrench for the plug either. Just hand tightening with moderate pressure. I used Purolator 14610 most of its life except for 5-6 changes where I used 14459 AAP closeout red oil filters that was 1.24 or something cheap like that. I sold it after the second transmission [censored] out on me. I got 3500 for it with leather, rear a/c and dvd player at Carmax with traction control and check engine light flashing.

Engine oil changes are important but I think the transmission oil changes are 10x more important. Easy to do a drain and fill on those. It's overkill but I would do it every 20K. I also had a 03 Acura TL-S then too...sold it near 77k ish, after getting the 4th transmission under warranty.

Last edited:
Well did the change today. Took the filter off first, there was plenty of splatter and mess all around. There is a stupid piece of plastic right under the filter location that just makes a huge mess. They had the oil done at walmart last time, they had a FRAM Extra Guard filter on it. I replaced it with a Purolator PureOne PL14459.
Trying to get the bolt off was ridiculous. The edges of the bolt are getting all rounded off, so I'm going to order a new one when I do my order from HandA Accessories. The crush washer was too small on the bolt and jammed on it. Had to use a screw driver to pry it up over the first set of threads and then I was able to slowly screw it off. I put a Honda crush washer on it when I put the bolt back on.
It ended up taking the whole 5qt just of Pennzoil Platinum. Seem to be running a lot smoother after the change.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help for doing the change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back