Mercon V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About all I can find for Mercon V ATF is at an ORileys 70 miles away for $6 qt for Valvoline. I have an older Ford motorhome with the 4R100 transmission and need 20 qts. Can anyone point me to a reasonably priced online source for a Mercon V fluid?

Wouldn't an older Ford tranny just need 'MERCON' fluid, not 'MERCON V'?

I know with older tranny's there are problems caused by using 'V' where 'non-V' Mercon is spec'd......

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wouldn't an older Ford tranny just need 'MERCON' fluid, not 'MERCON V'?

I know with older tranny's there are problems caused by using 'V' where 'non-V' Mercon is spec'd......
Mercon V is what Ford recommends now that the Mercon is not the licensed rating.

Try Valvoline Maxlife from Advance Auto using the online coupons. Doesn't get much cheaper than that for something that is Mercon V compatible.

my most recent bottles and gallon jugs of Maxlife did not have the Mercon or Mercon V on them, only Mercon LV...what gives? Perhaps viscosity difference?

Maxlife is compatible. Check your bottle again, it has a note on it that says to get the complete list from valvoline.com. I use it in a Mercon application.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc

If you persist in the Mercon V? add this--->

http://www.lubegard.com/C-229/LUBEGARD+M-V+ATF+Supplement

The Lubegard site recommends under severe usage to replace the fluid with Mercon V. A 35 ft motorhome with the V10 is probably severe usage as it's always pulling hard. This is a '99 and I have had it for 2 1/2 yrs & 8,000 miles but now has 61,000 on it and have no service history. The ATF looks & smells OK, but I figured it wood behoove me to have a fresh fill. Walmart doesn't carry Mercon V at any of the stores near me. Could I buy the Mercon III and add a qt of this additive to meet compliance?

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Try Valvoline Maxlife from Advance Auto using the online coupons. Doesn't get much cheaper than that for something that is Mercon V compatible.

That would be good except there is no Advance Auto within their search radius and they won't deliver.

How about a Ford dealer ?
When I had my Windstar, I got
4 gallons for $20.00
There is usually a Ford dealer in most towns. At least it's
That way in new england.
We have one on every corner.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
How about a Ford dealer ?
When I had my Windstar, I got
4 gallons for $20.00
There is usually a Ford dealer in most towns. At least it's
That way in new england.
We have one on every corner.

I gave up trying to get a good price. A neighbor works for a Ford dealer & got me the employee price. $108 for 5 gals. including tax!
I guess if I ever find it at bargain basement prices I better stock up.

If your local Ford dealer has it in bulk you can save quite a bit of money. Just save and clean out a couple of 5qt oil jugs and have them filled. There is a $1 a quart price difference between quarts and bulk on most items at my local dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back