Suzuki Swift Sport oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

1st post, great site.. fantastic!

2 weeks ago we bought a new suzuki swift sport (1.6L 16 valve m16a 92 kw 7200rpm redline, timing chain, 11.1:1 comp ratio.. fantastic little donk, in a fantastic little car)for my wife.
The vehicle manual is very broad/vague for oil specs. anything from a 5w-30 all the way to a 20w-40 and everything in between from SG to SM classification!

At 800km's I dropped the factory fill (and replaced the filter) with a castrol 10w40 mineral (magnatech). Engine was a little noisier to be honest.

At 1700 km's I again dropped the oil and filter, and now running a Castrol edge sport 5w30 grp III 'synthetic'. Engine quieter, more responsive I 'think'.

I intend to leave this oil in, until its intermediate service at 7500km's.

At this time my theory is to change the oil to amsoil 0w-30 AZO if I can get my hands on it, otherwise I can get SSO with no problems.

Driving is usually in a lot of stop start heavy traffic, with few hwy miles. Car is always warmed up prior to giving it the 'beans' (water temp up to normal deflection + 10 mins), my wife does drive it to its potential at times
smile.gif
.. as do I when the situation is presented.
Temperature never drops below 0 deg C in Sydney, Australia

Thats the plan... unless anyone has any other suggestions. I plan on keeping this car for quite some time, and wish to keep it in great running condition.

Thanks in advance for your reples.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
AussieDoc - Welcome to BITOG

Why change to Amsoil? - You already have one of the very best oils available - Castrol's Edge Sport 5W-30. I'd stick with it!!

+1

hhmm.. I guess I like the idea of a 0w-30 for the cold, near freezing winter mornings..

or am I making this bigger in my head than it needs to be?

plus I like the additive pack of AZO.. and the PAO grp IV has a certain appeal.. not based on anything especially factual though..

again maybe im turning this into something it needs not be...

appreciate the replies guys!

Last edited:
Hi,
AussieDoc - Perhaps your are making more of it than really required - I love the Swift. Suzuki make great vehicles - and bikes!

If you want other "0W" alternatives than either of these will do the job just fine:

Castrol's Edge Sport 0W-40 or,
Mobil 1 0W-40

Both are great products

If they were 0w-30's id prob. just stick with the edge sport.

The car runs much better with a 30weight oil..

the mobil 1 0w40 is going to cost me a little more than the amsoil 0w30 here in Australia anyway..

maybe I should just stick with the 5w30 edge sport and be happy.

oh the choices.. the choices... lol

cheers guys

FWIW... I have a Suzuki SX4 and it is really groovin on Mobil Super 5000 as an interim change before M1 EP, both spec'd at 5w30. Decided I didn't want to go with the QS warranty thing as my uncle is a retired Mobil exec and he got me an in on some cheap Mobil.

I am also using a half-can of MoS2 at OCI and running TC-W3 in the gas tank.

Car was formerly a noisy bastage and now it is smooth as silk.... Feels more like a sports car than an econo-box. Nice little kick in the pants on acceleration, MUCH reduced engine noise, more power, about a 1.5 MPG increase. feeling that it has REFINED the car I guess. I can even turn the radio down 2 notches as I am a veteran with hearing loss... it's much nicer for passengers and I can more easily carry on a conversation rolling down the highway.

Welcome AussieDoc!

Congrats on your new Suzuki Swift.

I really wish Suzuki would bring the Swift to the US sometime soon. It's supposed to be one of the better subcompacts and the US doesn't have enough good choices yet. I would be on my short list. Originally Suzuki claimed it would be here last year, but it never arrived, I'm not sure what the issue is.

If you have any pics of the car please post them.

I assume you bought a manual transmission version?

Yep. Sure did the swift sport only comes with a close ratio manual, with a nice short shifter.

As of yet I have no photos.
It is white pearl, recently zaino z2'd, with 16" gunmetal grey wheels, wrapped with dunlop sports max types. Suspension is a lot firmer than the norm swift. And a bit lower. New Monroe shocks are also fitted, along with stiffer brushings and engine mounts.
Inside the seats are wrapped in alacantra. 100% black. Deep very supportive buckets, one piece backs, with non adjustable headrest. Thick chunk leather steering wheel. Very dark carbon window tint (non metallic, no dyes used).
Very sad sounding horn (will be fixed soon).
Dim headlights (replaced bulbs with Philips extreme vision).. much better now, and still legal.
Sound system is a tad sad too.. replaced front component speakers with Orion xtr's and rear 2 ways with Orion xtr 2 ways. And then applied 2 layers of dynamat to all 4 doors (doors sound fantastic when closed now... nice dull 'thunk'). All powered by hertz 4 ch amp, much better.

But the oil still has me stumped.

I want a 0w for start, and a 30 due to the car feeling less lethargic.
Amsoil is the only oil I can get my hands on that ticks the boxes. Wish we had edge sport in 0w30...

Cheers guys...

I can certainly understand your want for a 0w lube, but realistically speaking, you're not going to benefit from it with temps you're going to see.

I bet that if you compared the viscosity of both oils at or around 0c or 32f, you'd find little difference - until of course the temps dropped further.

edit: Oh yeah, WELCOME and enjoy your time spent here. Lots of very sharp people that are willing to help...

Last edited:
Well after all that.. looks like ill be going redline 5w30.. getting a good deal.. new stock.

This from what I've read is a pretty good oil.. yes?

Thanks all...

Redline is a great oil - if you get a deal on it, go for it!

I was going to agree with others, no real need for 0W where you are, stick with the Edge Sport for 1/2 the $$$.

i know this is an old thread, but thought it'd be better to bump than start a new one. just got an 06 swift sport for myself and i happen to have a bunch of mobil1 european formula fs 0w-40. still learning about oils, but it seems like this would be a good option for my new car. where i am, i would think temps may range from as low as -5 into the 30s C. would really appreciate some validation. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back