AC Delco (Classic) vs Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AAP still sells classic design Delco filters that fit the wife's car... I know both Wix and Delco are both quality parts, after hearing some of the rave reviews of the classic design, it's making me want to use them in place of Wix.

I hear talk of better efficiency, but is there a way to quantify it, or some data to back it?

Also, I've discussions about who makes them, but am coming up short now. So, who make the classic Delco??

Classic and ecore Delco made by Champ, same as makes ST, STP, K&N and M1. Don't know about Delco efficiency (might be proprietary) but you can find the Wix filter equivalent efficiency/beta on their website.

Ohhh... That's why I thought recognized that top plate... Thank you.

I guess I should have mentioned that I did know where to find the Wix specs. Remembering how to interpret them is another story. Every time I think about beta ratios, I have to search them out here.

Quote:
For the Wix 51040

Beta Ratio: 2/20=15/31
50% @ 15 microns, and 95% @ 31 microns.

Beta's aside, imo either the Delco Classic or the Wix will serve you well. Not sure if the Delco has silicone adbv like Wix, might be the major difference.

I think your Wix 51040 crosses to an AC PH47.
Both are good filters, IMO.
I'd use the oversized PH52 if you have room.

I did not know they still made the a/c delco original filters i thought they were all e-core...Could aap be selling old stock or is someone sure they are still making the good ones?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I did not know they still made the a/c delco original filters i thought they were all e-core...Could aap be selling old stock or is someone sure they are still making the good ones?

They originally did stop making all the original style for the e-core. They found out that people were actually requesting the old style..so they reintroduced them. Only way to tell is by the suffix of "E" on the end. For example a PF52 would be old style while a PF52E would be an ecore.

GM Techlink had a little article on all this about a year ago.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

They originally did stop making all the original style for the e-core. They found out that people were actually requesting the old style..so they reintroduced them. Only way to tell is by the suffix of "E" on the end. For example a PF52 would be old style while a PF52E would be an ecore.

Can you post that article? Just carious...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
For the Wix 51040

Beta Ratio: 2/20=15/31
50% @ 15 microns, and 95% @ 31 microns.

Beta's aside, imo either the Delco Classic or the Wix will serve you well. Not sure if the Delco has silicone adbv like Wix, might be the major difference.

The classic that I have has a nitrile adbv.

The thing about betas is they make little sense to me. That's why I can't remember them. How does 2=50% and 20=95%???

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I know that I read that somewhere too, but I've seen plenty of PF47's with the "E" suffix that were still an E-Core...

A few years ago when Dana had a filter manufacturing facility here in Ontario, the AC Delco filters for Canada were made by them and used the same filtering media as the Wix filters. The AC Delco filters then were using nitrile anti drain back valves though.

We used to have it really good up here because Walmart also used to sell those AC Delco filters for only $3!

I'm not sure who makes the Canadian AC Delco filters now though, now that Dana no longer has a plant up here.

Quote:
The thing about betas is they make little sense to me. That's why I can't remember them. How does 2=50% and 20=95%???

2= 1/2 = 50%, 20= 1/20 = 5%, meaning the filter allows 1 out of 20 (5%) particles of the given micron size through the media, so it's 95% efficient at that level.

Yes it's my understanding that because of GM owner complaints about the ecore design, ACDelco had Champ restart manufacturing the Classic design. I thought they still had a nitrile adbv. Easy to tell whether it's an ecore just by looking at the base, and/or if one can see it's black nylon cage for the center tube.

Quote:

2= 1/2 = 50%, 20= 1/20 = 5%, meaning the filter allows 1 out of 20 (5%) particles of the given micron size through the media, so it's 95% efficient at that level.

Yes it's my understanding that because of GM owner complaints about the ecore design, ACDelco had Champ restart manufacturing the Classic design. I thought they still had a nitrile adbv. Easy to tell whether it's an ecore just by looking at the base, and/or if one can see it's black nylon cage for the center tube.

So it's kind of a shorthand fraction? You're saying that 1/2 of the 15 micron particles pass through the media, while only 1/20th the 31 micron particles pass through?

Yep, as tested, that's it.

Thank you very much for your insight! I'll have to add this to my notes so I will be less apt to forget.

i hope they start making the old design (if they do i will take a couple apart just to see if they are really like the old ones)
I will never use e core

i hope they start making the old design (if they do i will take a couple apart just to see if they are really like the old ones)
I will never use e core

They are... Just not the whole line. Only a handful of part numbers are available in the classic version.

edit: My pf47 carries (Delco?) p/n 19256042

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back