Very Impressed With Mobil Super HIgh Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm at 4 months with 4000 miles on this oil and this stuff is very clean; although, I already have a very clean engine so it may not darken as much as it might in someone elses engine. And my driving conditions are not dusty at all. This is not scientific, but my fuel gauge is much slower to go down on this stuff compared to others I've used like Castrol GTX and Pennzoil (pyb). I've heard mixed reports about the add pack not being very good compared to the older version (Mobil Clean 5000), but I'm trying to disregard the VOA and UOA reports given technology in todays oil such that none of us really can be fully aware of an oil's capabiliites simply by looking at one of these reports. Is anyone else using this? Do you like it to?

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Right now I'm at 4 months with 4000 miles on this oil and this stuff is very clean;

You do realize that means absolutely nothing?

I'm using the Super 5000 in my wife's car and so far I'm liking how quiet the valvetrain is running now. I'm planning on trying the Super High Mileage at the next OCI.

Cleanliness means nothing and the gain in fuel economy is all in your head.
smile.gif

I hate to bust your bubble,but you will not see any change in mpg that you could see by the gas gauge.If you did get an increase in mpg it would be small.
Sorry

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
smile.gif

Sad, but true. But I'm pleased that you are happy with it.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
smile.gif

Sad, but true. But I'm pleased that you are happy with it.

i think it means he has been taking good care of the engine.if he had a sludge issue it would darken within a few miles
at least thats my experience

im pretty sure most oil(in a normal situation) darkens because of soot, but im not sure why some get darker than others. maybe some are better at dissolving and dispersing it???

Originally Posted By: electrolover
im pretty sure most oil(in a normal situation) darkens because of soot, but im not sure why some get darker than others.

Often times it's a result of a chemical reaction of additive package when exposed to high temps (normal engine operating temps), not necessarily anything to do with soot or cleaning.

Mobil Clean 5000 is not the same as Mobil Super 5000. The Clean was a better oil in my opinion, and wish I could find it.

All of my engines RIGHT NOW, are getting the best MPG that they will get(far exceding the EPA estimates) and extremely smooth/quiet at idle in this summer heat. ATMOF, they all run nicer in the summer(City/Hiwy). I wish the MPG was this good all of the time(I may not ever complain).

The oil in my wifes '01 Lexus RX-300(sludge monster) for example, always looks clean througout the full OCI, even at 5000 miles. My '04 Altima 2.5 S on the other hand always looks dirty. Both using the same oil and OCI.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Mark72
Right now I'm at 4 months with 4000 miles on this oil and this stuff is very clean;

You do realize that means absolutely nothing?

Pete your statement is spot on.

What grade of Mobil Super HIgh Mileage are you using ?
I didn't see it in the thread.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Mobil Clean 5000 is not the same as Mobil Super 5000. The Clean was a better oil in my opinion, and wish I could find it.

I have seen Mobil Clean in quantity recently at Target...two different stores. No idea on the price.

A friend who was a mechanic for decades, retiring just a few years ago told me that oil that looks dirty on the stick tells you nothing. He said that many times he saw oil look black on the stick in an engine that was clean. He also maintained that he never saw oil stay clean looking on the stick in a sludged engine. So his bottom line was that black looking oil on the dipstick may tell nothing but if the oil stayed clean looking several thousand miles after it was changed, it probably meant that the engine was pretty clean.

i am under the impression that if an oil is cleaning it will get darker faster if the oil stays very clean it may not be cleaning as well

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i am under the impression that if an oil is cleaning it will get darker faster if the oil stays very clean it may not be cleaning as well

...or as stated before, your engine is clean to begin with. Mine are pretty much this way because I've owned them since new and maintained them well, using full syns & syn blends. They never drained out clear but were a darker golden color, never black. This was even with 8600 miles on Schaeffer's Blend 5W-30 in a high revving 4 cyl. I use LC20 in the oil as directed and FP60 in the fuel so this may influence the oil. No oil was added during the 8600 mile OCI, almost none was used on the dipstick.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
A friend who was a mechanic for decades, retiring just a few years ago told me that oil that looks dirty on the stick tells you nothing. He said that many times he saw oil look black on the stick in an engine that was clean. He also maintained that he never saw oil stay clean looking on the stick in a sludged engine. So his bottom line was that black looking oil on the dipstick may tell nothing but if the oil stayed clean looking several thousand miles after it was changed, it probably meant that the engine was pretty clean.

+1. As my engines always are clean, the oil on the dip stick never gets black, regardless of how many miles are on the car.

These New mobil super oils are very good and very strong add packs. shall we say these oils are better than the pennzoil line????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back