tremec tr-6060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys...I'm looking for suggestions on a trans. Fluid for my camaro..I would like to improve shift feel and reduce the slight notchiness that is present with my short throw shifter. The 6060 has known syncro problems on second gear that can cause a grind on the 1-2 shift at high rpms at full throttle. I'm on a camaro forum and lots of guys use redline and royal purple..I just want some of yalls opinion before I buy anything. Thanks for the help.

I don't think you can go wrong w/ RP or redline they're both good. Which one do the camaro forums prefer to improve shifting?

I had the same problem with my Z,first to second gear crunch if I shifted too fast @ high rpms. Amsoil MTG cured it completely. Wasn`t immediate,though,although there was a night/day difference in shifting quality. Over time,the shifting quality improved and now there is no gear crunch at all. Maybe give the Amsoil Synchromesh a try:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Last edited:
It's pretty split...some say Mobil 1 some say RP..some say redline or amsoil..its a good forum for the most part but I've learned its not the place for oil advice. Most of their recommendations are based off of tv commercials...I'm a little confused because royal purples recommendation is the syncromax fluid. The amsoil website doesent recommend their syncromesh fluid and recommends a universal atf. Why would royal purple recommend the syncromax and amsoil recommend something different? Wouldnt the amsoil syncromesh be comparible to the royal purple syncromax fluid?

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
It's pretty split...some say Mobil 1 some say RP..some say redline or amsoil..its a good forum for the most part but I've learned its not the place for oil advice. Most of their recommendations are based off of tv commercials...I'm a little confused because royal purples recommendation is the syncromax fluid. The amsoil website doesent recommend their syncromesh fluid and recommends a universal atf. Why would royal purple recommend the syncromax and amsoil recommend something different? Wouldnt the amsoil syncromesh be comparible to the royal purple syncromax fluid?

Reason I`m thinking is that Tremecs spec ATF. From what I know about synchromesh fluid,is that it`s an ATF viscosity fluid that`s made specifically for synchronized manual trannies. So ATF may be the best option. If you go that route,I`d get Amsoil`s reccomended ATF.

The secret is changing the fluid..not necessarily the fluid you use.
I always change my fluid at least once every couple years..rarely burn out a transmission...and I drive them hard.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Maybe give the Amsoil Synchromesh a try:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

^^^^This is what I am currently using in my T56. It is fine, as was the Red Line D4 it replaced. The Red Line MTL was a little notchy/hesitant in the cold weather, but fine in the warm/hot.
M1, Pennzoil Synchromesh, and garden variety Dex 3s have also benn fine, for the most part.

Now I know that there are some substantial differences between the old T56 and the new 6060 (especially in blocker ring material/function), BUT the ONLY fluid that EVER felt like it was destroying this gearbox (such was the grinding/crunching/kickback even) was the Royal Purple Synchromax.

Maybe it was an isolated incident, and just my one transmission??? I don't know, but I DO know that the RP will NEVER touch this gearbox again, as long as i own it.

Travis -
Redline or Amsoil have versions that are super for your tranny.
I am not a fan of Royal Purple anything.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses..I really wish this car had the t56 in it...all my friends with a t56 have zero problems and they beat the heck out of the car on slicks...the tr6060 seems to be a piece of junk..oh well. Amsoil recommends two different fluids, torque drive atf...and multi vehicle atf...any preference between those two? Should I just flip a coin?

I been own few t56 before, it smooth when u beat on it, it notchy when u shift like grandma. Mobil 1 ATF seem work best for me though. Most have luck with just plain old advance auto part dex/mercon

Thank you for the responses..I really wish this car had the t56 in it...all my friends with a t56 have zero problems and they beat the heck out of the car on slicks...the tr6060 seems to be a piece of junk..oh well. Amsoil recommends two different fluids, torque drive atf...and multi vehicle atf...any preference between those two? Should I just flip a coin?

If you had to (for warranty reasons??) stick with one of the Amsoil ATFs, I would go with their Torque Drive fluid.
I believe this is what A LOT of the Viper owners use in their T56es/6060s.
wink.gif

If warranty is not a concern, I would use the Amsoil MTF, or even Red Line MTL, especially in the summer/heat.

I really wish this car had the t56 in it

I agree with you on that one. 300Zx`s used to come with the T5. I`d much rather have a T5 in my car than the Nissan house tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back