New 94 Ninja 250R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new '94' Ninja 250R that has 667 original miles on it. It has sat since 1995. The previous owner change the oil but not the filter. I am going to change both. What over-the-counter oil would you reccommend to help breakin this motor? 40 or 50 weight?

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
Just picked up a new '94' Ninja 250R that has 667 original miles on it. It has sat since 1995. The previous owner change the oil but not the filter. I am going to change both. What over-the-counter oil would you reccommend to help breakin this motor? 40 or 50 weight?

Neither, look in the owners manual or stamped on the oil fill cap...most likely a quality 10w30. tom

Those are high revving motors and with a shared sump they will shear out a bit. Id run Mobil 1 10w40 Motorcycle oil. Its a great performer.

Does it run? You must have overhauled the Carbs then!

My wife loves her 2005 250 Ninja. She runs Rotella T6 5W-40 and no issues so far (12,000miles).

I don't know if the Mobil 1 MC oils are 'shear proof' but M1 15W-50 and M1 TDT 5W-40 both shear more than a bit in my BMW K75C, and it does NOT have a shared sump.

I would recommend Rotella. 15w-40 or T6 5w-40, your choice.

I had an old ninja 250, always used Rotella 15w-40 in it and it worked great. I spent many hours at WOT between 90-100mph out west. If it was a bit more comfortable for me, I would probably still have it.

daddi,

The owners manual states 10-40 or 20-50.

I just bought the Valvoline 10-40 4-stroke, but if everyone is reccommending the Rotella 15w40 I will return it for that.

If I was you I would run the Vavoline for 500 miles to flush out the rest of the old oil and junk that's in there. Then switch to the Rotella. But that's me....

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Does it run? You must have overhauled the Carbs then!

My wife loves her 2005 250 Ninja. She runs Rotella T6 5W-40 and no issues so far (12,000miles).

I don't know if the Mobil 1 MC oils are 'shear proof' but M1 15W-50 and M1 TDT 5W-40 both shear more than a bit in my BMW K75C, and it does NOT have a shared sump.

I never said they were shear proof. All oils can shear from other factors, but shared sump systems will generally shear a single oil more than if used in a isolated system.

If the previous owner used a really good fuel stabilizer I bet the carbs were fine. I stored a vehicle with a good dose of Stabil in non ethanol gas and it was fine after 7 years. Before the carbs would varnish up after sitting over winter.

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
daddi,

The owners manual states 10-40 or 20-50.

I just bought the Valvoline 10-40 4-stroke, but if everyone is reccommending the Rotella 15w40 I will return it for that.

The valvoline 10-40 will be fine. Rotella is probably cheaper and a quality oil, switch to Rotella in the future!

my 04 Ninja 250R is a little beast, Ive not found a motorcycle specific oil yet that it doesnt like.. In a pinch once several years ago i used automotive oil when i noticed it was a .5qrt low. added valvoline white bottle at a gas station (late nite) then forgot about it the rest of the summer.. didnt miss a lick , of course this little mill only uses about 1.75 qrts to start with. As it is a shared sump bike im not a fan of using non bike oils (still havent tried HDEO's) one day i will.. so have no fear with this bike, from 0-100' temps 10-40 is a perfect oil, I did switch this bike over to "Blue Ice" coolant, made a noticeable difference on in town engine guage tempts.. 2 pennies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back