Shell Rotella T6 5w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell Rotella T6 5w40 (API CJ-4, CI-4+, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4/SM), ACEA E9, Cat ECF-3, ECF-2, Cummins CES 20081, Mack EO-O Premium Plus, DC 93K218, MAN 3275, MB 228.31, Volvo VDS-4, JASO DH-2, JASO MA.

e64704-001.gif

^While, I don't like the move from Calcium over to Magnesium it's more a preference than a need I suppose. Otherwise, this is a stout oil.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^While, I don't like the move from Calcium over to Magnesium it's more a preference than a need I suppose. Otherwise, this is a stout oil.

The way I'm reading the two VOAs, Calcium and Magnesium levels are almost identical for the two oils. The small differences can easily be attributed to lab/sample error.

They only thing that's slightly different is the 100C viscosity figure.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Gonna pick some of this up to try it out on my bike. It is on sale right now at AAP. Thanks for the VOA.

Don't know that I would use this in a wet clutch setup, as it may contain friction modifiers that could potentially damage the clutch.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
Gonna pick some of this up to try it out on my bike. It is on sale right now at AAP. Thanks for the VOA.

Don't know that I would use this in a wet clutch setup, as it may contain friction modifiers that could potentially damage the clutch.

Many sport bike owners have used this oil with great success.

Did you not see the JASO MA rating that this oil carries?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Did you not see the JASO MA rating that this oil carries?

Email sent from shell when asked if this was good for motorcycles.

"Rotella T 6 does have the JASO MA and JASO DH2 approvals and is
suitable for use in motorcycles. The Rotella T6 warranty is
unaffected.

Regards,

Shell Technical"

+1

Even though it says JASO MA, I had massive wet clutch slip from the T6 in my 2009 Ducati 696. The datalogs showed 1000+ RPM clutch slips during higher RPM upshifts, and I could hear the clutch slipping with my ear plugs and the Termignoni race pipes. I immediately switched to M1 V-Twin 20W-50 and the slipping went away.

I also got a lot of feedback from people that claimed "many other bikers have used T6 in wet clutches without problems", but I won't be using it in my Ducati anymore.

Originally Posted By: metroplex

Dry clutch on my BM. I can use it.

+1

Even though it says JASO MA, I had massive wet clutch slip from the T6 in my 2009 Ducati 696. The datalogs showed 1000+ RPM clutch slips during higher RPM upshifts, and I could hear the clutch slipping with my ear plugs and the Termignoni race pipes. I immediately switched to M1 V-Twin 20W-50 and the slipping went away.

I also got a lot of feedback from people that claimed "many other bikers have used T6 in wet clutches without problems", but I won't be using it in my Ducati anymore.

Forget the clutch, your clutch will be fine but Rotella 5/40 is a poor choice for ANY bike that shares the oil with the transmission.
Every UOA out there shows the oil shears down to close to 30 in about 2000 miles or less in a shared gearcase.
The Rotella 15/40 is a much more sturdy oil in a shared sump. Your gearcase will thank you.

Great oil for classic cars - run it in my '62 318 Poly and '70 472 Cadillac engines. Forget about the Brad Penn and Shaeffer's oils of the world when you can get good ol' Shell Rotella T so easy and reasonable !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back