ih/cub cadet 105 hydro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally found my platform for my diesel repower project... $168 on evilbay (deck included), and it's in good looking unrestored shape for its age. The original engine runs but has bad rings, and smokes. I'll be retrofitting a 10hp yanmar clone on it. Any collectors here, please tell me the pros and cons of this model. What fluid does the hydro tranny use? Anyone pull this project off already?

I'm not familiar with that model, but do have an older IH hydro tractor (hydro 70 w/ D312) Being older, it probably specd B6 like mine. Most universal trans/hydraulic fluids meet IH B6. Just check the label.

If your willing to spend the money I would go with hytran from a dealer. It meets current specs which go above and beyond the old B6.

When I did the trans fluid on our hydro 70 money was tight so I went with traveller brand from tractor supply. Ours takes 30 gallons. Your application might not be so bad lol.

The 105 is a very well built, solid little tractor. My local NAPA sells hydraulic/transmission fluid that meets the requirements for your old cubby. They also stock the filter. Can you post some pictures?

I won't get to pick it up til the weekend, so no pics yet. I'm not computer savvy, but try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=140575627632&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Do you happen to know running rpm's for the engine?

The 105 should have a Kohler K-241. Fast idle, iirc, is 3600 rpm and slow idle 1200 rpm. Please double check that to be sure.

The 105 is a hydrostatic drive garden tractor. It is powered by a k241 engine.The only problems i could think of would be if the crankshaft rotation is the same. The engines crankshaft goes toward the front and powers the clutch PTO to turn the blades or tiller or whatever. On the grass screen side the engine turns a driveshaft to the Sunstrand pump and i don't think you can turn it in reverse (could be wrong) They are tough old garden tractors. The rearend (minus the axle tubes) are the same on the larger Farmall Cub.

Originally Posted By: TMF
The 105 is a hydrostatic drive garden tractor. It is powered by a k241 engine.The only problems i could think of would be if the crankshaft rotation is the same. The engines crankshaft goes toward the front and powers the clutch PTO to turn the blades or tiller or whatever. On the grass screen side the engine turns a driveshaft to the Sunstrand pump and i don't think you can turn it in reverse (could be wrong) They are tough old garden tractors. The rearend (minus the axle tubes) are the same on the larger Farmall Cub.

Even though I`m a Wheel Horse fan, those old I/H Cudets were pretty cool. (I like the starter generator thing) blup,blup,blup.....gerrrrrrrrr!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: TMF
Yeah, I'm gonna have to wait until I have it before I can decide how to proceed with the repower. The engine I'm planning to drop in has a camshaft PTO if needed, but I'll need to get a look at the pulley arrangement. It turns the "standard" counterclockwise facing the crankshaft end (only one crank output side). If anyone wants the original motor for collector value, PM me before my next trip to the metal recycler. Not lookin' for a profit, just pay me for my trouble and the shipping costs.

Well, I picked it up today. You guys weren't kidding about "well-built". This thing is a tank compared to the flimsy mowers you see in the home depot these days. The tractor looks great, but the engine needs some carb work and a head gasket, the genny doesn't work either. Dropping in the diesel looks like it's gonna be quite the project. The crank will drive the forward pulleys so I can match the rotational direction of the original motor, but I'll have to fabricate some brackets and pulleys with maybe a shaft to drive the hydro pump. I'll be diggin' thru the surplus center catalog, if you guys have any ideas.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php

this is a great IH forum. they will have the answers to any specific questions.

Don't scrap the motor!!!! I bet some one on that forum will pick it up for free. Alot of the guys are in your area of the country.
I'll check them out, but I'd rather offer it to someone here first. The seller told me the same thing about the motor when I told him my intentions. He said someone would probably pay as much as I did for the whole tractor, but it's free to a good home. If I don't get any takers here or there, off to the scrap guys it goes-it's of no use to me and I can recoup some cash for the conversion parts I'll need. I've ran it a little bit, and my suspicions are that the engine doesn't have bad rings at all, the tank is just filled with really old (and cloudy gas), and with some carb adjustment and cleaning it will stop smoking. I hope to pull it within the month, and I ordered a CD-ROM of the owner and service manual so I have an idea of where to go from here.

How much hp do you guys figure it takes to turn the hydro shaft? I've been studying the frame, and it looks like I'll really have to frankenstein the tractor to mechanically couple everything. I'm thinking a diesel-electric setup for the hydro portion may be the way to go. I already have a pure sine wave inverter, and I know a cheap source for single phase two and three hp farm or compressor duty motors. I would direct couple the motor to the shaft and put a GM style alternator where the original dc generator is now, with the inverter hardwired to the battery. The only welding I would need to do is for the motor support, and maybe the alternator bracket, compared to all the fab work and parts needed for a mechanical setup. The original deck drive setup would be left in place.

Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
How much hp do you guys figure it takes to turn the hydro shaft? I've been studying the frame, and it looks like I'll really have to frankenstein the tractor to mechanically couple everything. I'm thinking a diesel-electric setup for the hydro portion may be the way to go. I already have a pure sine wave inverter, and I know a cheap source for single phase two and three hp farm or compressor duty motors. I would direct couple the motor to the shaft and put a GM style alternator where the original dc generator is now, with the inverter hardwired to the battery. The only welding I would need to do is for the motor support, and maybe the alternator bracket, compared to all the fab work and parts needed for a mechanical setup. The original deck drive setup would be left in place.

could work, but I bet performance would suffer. Also I think you would have a hard time generating enough electric.

I finally googled a pic of the 105.. What's the problem you running into with driving the original hydro pump?

The problem is the original motor has a crank output on both sides, whereas the transplant only has one. The rear direct drives the hydro, and the front shaft powers the accessory drive. I took some measurements and it looks like the electric setup is out due to electric motor dimensions, so I'll have to do it old school. To keep the rotation of everything in the same direction, the new engine will be facing forward and driving the accessory pulleys. I'm gonna buy some bar stock keyed shafting, create brackets in front and rear of the engine, and do a belt-to shaft-to belt setup to get drive power back to the hydro. I'm also gonna weld a center support under the hydro shaft and put a pillow bearing around it, so the hydro isn't side loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back