Any advantage Pyb or Quacker State

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my wifes Sequoia I usually Run PYB. It does lots of short trips so I change it every 3000 miles.. I am old school. With that interval If a ran QS do you think I am losing any protection??

I think most of the price difference has to do with the volumes of advertising PYB gets versus a bare minimum it seems for GB. I imagine there is also a quality difference but I'm betting it has to be tiny...they are both SOPUS name brands they are not going to make any junk. At a 3k OCI you or your car will never know the difference. Use them interchangeably or get whatever is on sale.

IMO....PYB is renowned for it's cleaning abilities and has much better cleaners and detergents than QSGB.

However, QSGB is great oil if you have a spotless engine and want all the goodies like Boron, Moly, Calcium and Zinc at a lower price than PYB.

IMO....chose the one you need for your application....both are great SOPUS oils....in a way like Formula Shell with all the Moly.

Both have a great adiitive pack. QSGB has PYB edged out in amount of ingredients (I don't know if they are the same quality but I imagine so).

The Base oil of PYB is of higher quality than QSGB. IMO there is a trade off that makes them pretty equal.

Watch out for Upper tier PP vs. QSUD. I really think QSUD is a better oil, equal addy pack and cheaper.

QSUD>PP....(Bullet proof vest now on)

pyb is better at cleaning a dirty engine ,so they say

but qsgb has alot of boron and such and in my opinion will probably give better wear protection.

Quakerstate and 3k ocis will give you a clean long lived engine. go for it!!

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....PYB is renowned for it's cleaning abilities and has much better cleaners and detergents than QSGB.

However, QSGB is great oil if you have a spotless engine and want all the goodies like Boron, Moly, Calcium and Zinc at a lower price than PYB.

IMO....chose the one you need for your application....both are great SOPUS oils....in a way like Formula Shell with all the Moly.

It is? I think it is MARKETED for its cleaning abilities.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Quakerstate and 3k ocis will give you a clean long lived engine. go for it!!

+1

I use QS conventional, I don't know all the techs and specs on its contents but I sure know my truck runs great on it. I have less engine noise and a lot smoother idle with QS than I have had when I used other oils. Like others have said, a 3K OCI and QS will do just fine. I have never used PYB, I may try it some time when my stash of QS runs out, unless I find a good deal on QS again in the next couple of years. QS is a great oil at a good price, usually on sale at one store or another most any time. I also use it in my girlfriend's Honda, and it does a good job in her car too.

+1 for QSGB ...I thought I was slumming when I used QSGB for my next fill after using PYB . Much to my surprise - my Hyundai Elantra runs quiter on QSGB than PYB .

Email response from Sopus:

Hello,

Our Pennzoil and Quaker State Motor Oils are not the same. They do share some of the additives. They are very close in comparison and compatibles.

Should you desire to speak with a technical representative to discuss this issue in more detail please call Pennzoil-Quaker State Technical Information at 1-800-237-8645.

On a 3K intervals, run anything you want.
OTOH, you could take advantage of the exellent rebates currently offered on both QSUD and PU, and run an expensive brew for cheap.
You could also run a classy P1 or D+ filter for cheap after the MIRs.
Valvoline is also offering somewhat less generous MIRs.
As always, look around.
Don't fret about QSGB VS PYB.
Check the deals available on the top shelf stuff.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
When I see Quacker State motor oil, I duck.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back