Motorcycle oils with Esters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well around here Mobil 1 V Twin is within a buck of Amsoil V Twin. I know cause I just bought Amsoil at a farm and fleet type store locally for 11 bucks a quart. Mobil 1 was 10.87 a quart at the parts store.

Last edited:
Amsoil says their oil is best on their white paper. But I have heard form many users that their 20W-50 shears to a 30 weight in about 50 miles of use. How true is that i don't know but I have an open mind and take it all in for reference. Different people with different bikes have different results with the same oil. I heard Castrol 4T dino was garbage but I wanted to see for myself. I just used it in my first oil change and to be honest I don't notice a difference in clutch feel between the Yamalube dino that was in their. I have Castrol 4T Racing RS Full Synthetic and that is going in once my bike hits 1K. So I am only doing 700 miles on the Castrol 4T dino. I am gonna try the Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 next in my bike as I have heard nothing but good things about that oil. To boot they have the 10 year 500,000 mile warranty. Eventually I will try M1 and Amsoil.

Yeah, i dunno, but i have heard the same thing about many oils dropping 10 points or so after just a few miles. Thats one reason i never went to 10w40. I figure with 20w50 if it drops 10 points i'm still within triumph's spec. I'm going to stick with M1 because it always seems to run better in my bikes so why change.

I'm over the moon with this bike even after 2 years of ownership, but the one thing that i always hated about it was the engine noise. I was ecstatic when i dropped the V-twin oil in it and the noise was reduced probably 80% ! The bike's power is better, the vibration is lessened quite a bit, but the engine noise being all but gone is the thing that has me so thrilled i can't describe it. Yep, M1 for now on. No reason to change. Amazing how much difference an oil can make.

Originally Posted By: daz
Yeah, i dunno, but i have heard the same thing about many oils dropping 10 points or so after just a few miles. Thats one reason i never went to 10w40. I figure with 20w50 if it drops 10 points i'm still within triumph's spec. I'm going to stick with M1 because it always seems to run better in my bikes so why change.

I'm over the moon with this bike even after 2 years of ownership, but the one thing that i always hated about it was the engine noise. I was ecstatic when i dropped the V-twin oil in it and the noise was reduced probably 80% ! The bike's power is better, the vibration is lessened quite a bit, but the engine noise being all but gone is the thing that has me so thrilled i can't describe it. Yep, M1 for now on. No reason to change. Amazing how much difference an oil can make.

I take your comment to heart and guess I will try M1 soon. What bike do you have? I only have 400 miles on my bike and tried 2 oils. Above 7K RPM I have such a buzz from my engine and the whole bike shakes. But I have heard that from many FZ6R owners. Maybe it will go away once I use a synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa

I take your comment to heart and guess I will try M1 soon. What bike do you have? I only have 400 miles on my bike and tried 2 oils. Above 7K RPM I have such a buzz from my engine and the whole bike shakes. But I have heard that from many FZ6R owners. Maybe it will go away once I use a synthetic oil.

Mine is very different. It's a Triumph thunderbird 1700 cruiser. Big ol' parallel twin with a 6.5k redline that makes decent HP but really makes a lot of very low end torque. So it's the total opposite of your bike and i have no idea whether those vibes you mention will be helped. But at those RPM's i would think not a lot. But try it and see. I bet it will help some even if only a little. I'd like to hear what you find.

daz, that M1 V-Twin is close to a 60W. It doesn't generally lose grade during the OCI (compared to a lot of other oils) and tends to thicken at the end of its interval.

Originally Posted By: Qwiky
daz, that M1 V-Twin is close to a 60W. It doesn't generally lose grade during the OCI (compared to a lot of other oils) and tends to thicken at the end of its interval.

Wow, thats good to know, thanks. Where did you see that data? What is OCI by the way?

That is what is the developing trend since Mobil 1 tweaked the formula on the V twin formula. There was a UOA posted somewhere that showed it thickened. I have the Thunderbirds baby brother, the Speedmaster with the 865 air cooled mill. Im running the Castrol 10w50 factory fill for now. May go with Mobil 1 10w40 moto oil next time around as it is listed as okay in all temps in my manual.

Please post back if and when you do. I would be very interested in what you feel. I used to have a speedmaster before this bike, and I found the same thing with that....IE: when i tried other oils i found that going back to M1 gave me better power and a smoother quieter engine. never tried castrol tho so i'd like to hear if you notice a difference.

By the way, do you know approximately when they changed it?

No idea. The Castrol seems to shift and run well in the bike. But like most Castrol oils, they are a little high on the price.

I may go Amsoil as well. Its about the same price as Mobil 1 at one place I go to.

My FZ6R calls for 10W-40 or 20W-50. So by this statement by M1 can I run the V-Twin 20W-50 in my bike. It has engine and trans fluid combined.

"Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 are recommended for 4-cycle, motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 or a 20W-50 engine oil, respectively. These products will help provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission."

daz said:
So in the meantime i decided to use mobil [/quote

I Run the SIN out of my R1, i used to use $15qrt stuff, now im using the $7.89 mobile 4T or Valvoline 4T. both seem to be doing the same job, ive got no complaints.. you can pop for the higher dollar stuff, but why would you? save the $ for tires
smile.gif

After doing more research and talking to more people I'm down to M1 or Rotella T6. Just have to use the Castrol 4T Racing RS Full SYN first since I don't want to waste it.

You only have 400 total miles? on a 2009?

wow. I put 400 miles on my bike since monday. =)

Originally Posted By: car54

You only have 400 total miles? on a 2009?

wow. I put 400 miles on my bike since monday. =)

LOL! Bro I'm military and as soon as I got it I was sent overseas for 2 years? It sat in the garage for that period.

Amsoil says their oil is best on their white paper. But I have heard form many users that their 20W-50 shears to a 30 weight in about 50 miles of use. How true is that i don't know but I have an open mind and take it all in for reference.

User Sunruh did some testing on the Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil and said it was top notch, almost as good and the Maxuma 4 Ultra which has been the best he tested to date.

PM him and he will send you the UOA's for them.

Originally Posted By: car54
Gotcha.. I'll buy you a beer if we meet at a bar at least 40 miles away. and you have to ride. =)

Let me know when you want to ride. We can meet at the Walmart in Dumfries.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
Amsoil says their oil is best on their white paper. But I have heard form many users that their 20W-50 shears to a 30 weight in about 50 miles of use. How true is that i don't know but I have an open mind and take it all in for reference.

User Sunruh did some testing on the Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil and said it was top notch, almost as good and the Maxuma 4 Ultra which has been the best he tested to date.

PM him and he will send you the UOA's for them.

Yeah we PM'ed each other and he told me which oils is good for my bike. Maxima is pretty high in price and I can get Amsoil pretty low since I am a PC. So right now I am looking at Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Rotella T6.

If the amsoil white paper is to be trusted, maxima 4 ultra did well in the 40 weight category coming in 3rd. But it came in 7th among 50 weight oils. But in both categories M1 came in second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back