gas quality and mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across an interesting thread on another forum. It was stated that BP is a highly refined base fuel and BP stations don't get their fuel from fuel tankers who purchase fuel at a fuel depot who then add different "Brand Additives" per station brand specs. which happens at the fuel rack. With the exception of BP who has their own tankers/and or gets their own BP refined base fuel.

2 members of this other forum have said that BP/Amoco Ultimate runs their fuel though the "Cracking Tower" an additional time for more refinement. The other poster states his roomate has internal knowledge of the BP process. See Posts 11 & 12.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/austral...ane-fuel-2.html

The thread above also mentions Shell V-Power Racing but I've e-mailed Shell and it looks like that highly refined fuel is only available overseas in limited locations. I'm still trying to get more confirmation from Shell if V-Power Racing is anywhere or at any race track here in the U.S. I've Googled "Shell V-Power Racing Fuel" and many have claimed it being really high end stuff that Ferrari insists to use in their cars overseas.

I've also read on BITOG and other places that the reason why BP does not meet TOP TIER is because their base fuel is highly refined including other factors that would not be consistent to the base fuel specs. ect. that is in the TOP TIER test requirements. Makes sense.

I have an article that I've kept about the now discontinued Chevron product PurEscape as I have about 100 bottles of it. In the article under "How Long Will Fuel Live In Your Tank", it talks about how refined Race Gas is that can be purchased at different stations who sell Race Fuels. It was stated that RocketBrand RaceFuel has less than .5% Olefins as compared to pump gas that has as much as 20% Olefins. I got an e-mail from VP Racefuels and they stated their fuels only have .5%. This article basically compares when PurEscape is added to pump gas, it provides similar characteristics of Highly refined Racefuel.
http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_0708_cooking_with_gas/fuel_in_your_tank.html

So maybe BP may have a lower Olefin concentration. And I read somewhere that this is why their fuels don't carbon up combustion chambers like other pump gas and therefore they don't need the detergents/PEA ect. since their fuels combust more completely and not leave a lot of carbon a.k.a. incomplete combustion deposits. So, I'm not sure then WHAT "Invigorate" is.

Is it an additive like PEA or is it just describing their highly refined base fuel?
21.gif

Anyone know what BP's Olefin concentration is or what BP Invigorate is?

So I'm really thinking that all Racegas base fuel is highly refined and has better combustion, but most RaceFuel may be too high octane for lower compression street cars and may actually be counterproductive in preventing carbon as the high octane is a burn suppressant which may induce incomplete combustion and leave deposits if that makes sense. Or maybe the emissions may be higher out the tailpipe. I think I've actually also read that guys will run RaceFuel to pass emmisions so there maybe something there with a better quality fuel in Race Gas!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: sentra
I don't how one can attribute the 2-3 mpg difference, spread over a full tank of gas, on a change in gas brand. There are just too many other variables that should be taken into account.

You wouldn't think it would matter, but I've found out over dozens of tanks in the Equinox that it does, about 2 mpg. Shell and Kroger premium gives me better mileage than BP, Thortons, and Speedway premium (all E10). My wife gets about 1 mpg better with Shell, but everything else (Kroger, Speedway, Thortons) is the same in the Vibe. She uses 87.

PLEASE someone prove this. I hear it all the time on BITOG. Here's a comparison I did a few years ago http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=653062 the graphs are no longer up, but the data is still there. No statistical difference was found. A 2 MPG increase with an Equinox should be easy to prove (that's a large % increase).

There`s definitely a difference in gasolines. Kroger made my engine ping,Walmart burns up FAST,HEB runs like a dream :^) These were all premium unleaded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back