Will It Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier tonight, I bought a sofa bed from IKEA for my new apartment. The box that housed the sofa bed frame was 78" long and I had serious doubts if it would fit in the Prius. Sure enough, it fit-- with about 1/8" to spare! The mattress and the mattress cover fit just fine as well.

Here are some pictures:

2011-07-22_20-18-11_187.jpg

2011-07-22_20-18-16_289.jpg

2011-07-22_20-18-28_76.jpg

As much as I hate this car sometimes, I've gotta say that there is not another new car on the market for under 25k that can haul a sofa bed, has a proven reliability record, and can get at least 40 mpg all of the time.

golf diesel. My brother does it (including the over 40MPG part) in DC TRAFFIC all the time. We've fit a LOT of big stuff in the wife's rabbit and his TDI. I can only imagine what the jetta wagon can hold.

Plus, Ikea stuff is designed to be packaged for good fit into small euro cars.

That said, no small feat and it was a tight squeeze. Glad you got it to work. There are only a few good small cars that can hold big stuff, and the prius is one of them. It has a surprising amount of space.

Why dont you like the car often?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
golf diesel. My brother does it (including the over 40MPG part) in DC TRAFFIC all the time. We've fit a LOT of big stuff in the wife's rabbit and his TDI. I can only imagine what the jetta wagon can hold.

That said, no small feat and it was a tight squeeze. Glad you got it to work. There are only a few good small cars that can hold big stuff, and the prius is one of them. It has a surprising amount of space.

Lol come on man, he's only a little older than I am, and he's driving a Prius. I wouldn't be too thrilled either.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Lol come on man, he's only a little older than I am, and he's driving a Prius. I wouldn't be too thrilled either.

When I was younger than both of you I was driving a 120 hp (on a good day) 25 year old diesel. I was thrilled.

Youve got to make the experience for yourself. Not every corner has to be taken at WOT and full speed. And saving $$$ on fuel when young (and actually saving it) means FAR better financial position even just a few years down the line.

While not a sports car, I think that a prius was a very smart purchase.

When I was younger than both of you I was driving a 120 hp (on a good day) 25 year old diesel. I was thrilled.

Youve got to make the experience for yourself. Not every corner has to be taken at WOT and full speed. And saving $$$ on fuel when young (and actually saving it) means FAR better financial position even just a few years down the line.

I would think the Prius is more desirable than a Cruze.

I saw a prius with lumber sticking out of the passenger window catching flies the other day...

Why not? Not the most ideal, and not safe if it sticks out too far... But it is definitely a misconception that you need a huge truck to do many around the house type things.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Not me.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Earlier tonight, I bought a sofa bed from IKEA for my new apartment. The box that housed the sofa bed frame was 78" long and I had serious doubts if it would fit in the Prius. Sure enough, it fit-- with about 1/8" to spare! The mattress and the mattress cover fit just fine as well.

Here are some pictures:

2011-07-22_20-18-11_187.jpg

2011-07-22_20-18-16_289.jpg

2011-07-22_20-18-28_76.jpg

As much as I hate this car sometimes, I've gotta say that there is not another new car on the market for under 25k that can haul a sofa bed, has a proven reliability record, and can get at least 40 mpg all of the time.

Looks like 3 pounds of poop in a 2 pound bag .....

Originally Posted By: silverrat

X2. I would go with the Toyota any day of the week.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that golf diesel, won't be anywhere as reliable, and well made as the Prius. It also won't have the great resale value the Prius does, not to mention all of the other goodies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Yeah, but that golf diesel, won't be anywhere as reliable, and well made as the Prius. It also won't have the great resale value the Prius does, not to mention all of the other goodies.

Reliable? probably not (I have next to no VW experience, but going from what I hear) however, well made? Any VW I've been in has been incredibly well put together. Better put together than the Toyota's I've been in.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

... incredibly well put together.

In an IKEA thread.

LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back