Best filter for Cummins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use the mobil 1 filter, but was wondering about the Bosch distance plus, Mopar, K&N, and Pure ONE filters??? I want to run the best filter for my truck without buying an Amsoil. I need a filter with flutes or a nut on the bottom of it for installation purposes.

If your talking about a 6.7 or 5.9 cummins the best is the donaldson endurance ELF7349 oil filter. 15 microns at 98.7% efficiency. I don't know any other specs though. Right now i run the fleetguard stratapore on my truck. I'm thinking of switching to the donaldson but I want some specs on the filter.
Oh and the stratapore version is 25 microns at 98.7% and the normal fleetgaurd is 35 microns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cummins makes and highly recommends the Fleetguard Stratapore, but I'll admit I got such a good deal on the Bosch Distance Plus filters from Advance with an online code, and the $5 rebate that I've got a few to try-the Donaldson seems like a good filter, but is it 4X as good as the Bosch DP at roughly $5 each after rebate & code?

Yes but the donaldson has no flutes or any way to remove it from the truck other than a strap wrench which doesnt work to well if you have ever changed oil on a cummins. The donaldson is also the same as the amsoil filter. Wont buy one until they add flutes

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
If your talking about a 6.7 or 5.9 cummins the best is the donaldson endurance ELF7349 oil filter. 15 microns at 98.7% efficiency. I don't know any other specs though. Right now i run the fleetguard stratapore on my truck. I'm thinking of switching to the donaldson but I want some specs on the filter.
Oh and the stratapore version is 25 microns at 98.7% and the normal fleetgaurd is 35 microns.

Agreed, the endurance filter for the 5.9 CTD is the most full flow you are going to get for that application. I would just take my intake off to remove and install the new filter...only took a few minutes.

Best with a fluted bottom is the stratapore FG...

Last edited:
Hi,
Invasivore - I have had extensive experience over many years with Donaldson ELF FF filters and they are truely great performers. They were durable and robust enough to tolerate and average of 90kkms (55k miles)OCIs in my application

Of course I tried Fleetguard and most other Commercial filters before settling on Donaldson

The CAT is a high EF filter and is atleast 3 times the size of the factory filter. Very nice filter but spendy. if I had to pick any besides the CAT it would be Donaldson. Though it really is hard to beat the M1 in a daily driver application and the cost is nice.

My list from 1st to last
CAT
Donaldson
Fleetgaurd Stratapore
Wix XP
M1

All of these filters really will get you close on the same Micron rating +- very little. Holding capacity is another thing. The Cat and Wix for the size kills all. Then Donaldson and fleetguard. Im not a big fan of the regular fleetguard. If your running OEM OCI then the M1 is the best bet.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
The CAT is a high EF filter and is atleast 3 times the size of the factory filter. Very nice filter but spendy. if I had to pick any besides the CAT it would be Donaldson. Though it really is hard to beat the M1 in a daily driver application and the cost is nice.

My list from 1st to last
CAT
Donaldson
Fleetgaurd Stratapore
Wix XP
M1

All of these filters really will get you close on the same Micron rating +- very little. Holding capacity is another thing. The Cat and Wix for the size kills all. Then Donaldson and fleetguard. Im not a big fan of the regular fleetguard. If your running OEM OCI then the M1 is the best bet.

Cat makes a 1-16" thread filter?

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Here the wix number
57620XE
It will cross to a CAT number I dont have it on top of my head.
I found 3L-1376 for a CAT number, but I had no luck finding out anything about it.

Originally Posted By: Invasivore
I currently use the mobil 1 filter, but was wondering about the Bosch distance plus, Mopar, K&N, and Pure ONE filters??? I want to run the best filter for my truck without buying an Amsoil. I need a filter with flutes or a nut on the bottom of it for installation purposes.

What year truck and which Cummins? The 5.9L or the 6.7L?

On the 5.9L there was a lot of trouble with some aftermarket filters coming apart and leading to serious engine issues. Dodge came out with a TSB on it back in 2001 with an approved filter list.

FWIW...

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

Myself I would say if Fleetguard is available to you, regardless of which Cummins you have, it woould be my 1st choice. Otherwise of the ones you list I would go MOPAR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Invasivore

On the 5.9L there was a lot of trouble with some aftermarket filters coming apart and leading to serious engine issues. Dodge came out with a TSB on it back in 2001 with an approved filter list.

FWIW...

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/09-004-01.htm

Myself I would say if Fleetguard is available to you, regardless of which Cummins you have, it woould be my 1st choice. Otherwise of the ones you list I would go MOPAR.

Just as long as you don't use a fram on it you should be good. The frams just aren't designed well enough to stand the high oil pressure of a cold start on a diesel. They have cardboard end caps which are glued on there.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

5.9 and 6.7 both use the 1-16" filter thread

That list is beyond dated, Donaldson, Baldwin, FG, Hastings etc etc will all work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back