2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo- Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any dino recommendations for the new Kia Turbos? Its a 280hp DI 4 banger so I have a feeling its gonna be rough on oil. I say Dino because the manual, as well as the onboard computer say 3k oci. 5w20 is recommended for "optimal fuel economy", but the manual states I can run up to a 40 weight. I'm thinking a 5w30 would suffice in a quaker state green bottle flavor. Any thoughts?

Dino for a Turbo DI? Something with a low noack (synthetic) and with HTO-06 spec (turbo deposits) I think would be prudent. That would be Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 for readily available products.

Any money you save on a conventional vs synthetic will be spent on products to clean the intake, IMO.

Last edited:
^+1, what he said. With a turbo I would not even think about dino oil. PP is the cheaper of the two (M1 and PP), and I would not go below 5w-30 with a turbo.

PS How do you like Optima? I am thinking about buying its smaller sibling--Forte5.

Your new Optima turbo has the same engine as my Sonata turbo. DO NOT use 5w-20. That specification in the manual is for non-turbo models. Turbo models at the very minimum require 5w-30, but of course like others have said 5w-40 is the way to go. Since I've experimented with a few oils already, I'll help you ease your decision making -- use M1 0w-40.

well i guess 3k oci would be the way to go.
M1 0/40 might be best but PP might be cheaper
either way i would go 3k AND synthetic
better safe than sorry is my motto

M1 5-30 is Honda HTO-06 approved. Turbo high heat and deposit spec. Also PP is HTO approved.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I dont know,but 0w40 seems kind of thick for start up protection with the turbo. Thats just me.

Doesn't the 0 in 0-40 mean quick flow on start?

I dont know,but 0w40 seems kind of thick for start up protection with the turbo. Thats just me.

Is that a joke and you forgot to put one of these?
grin.gif

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for all the fast responses . Some very good advice. I just bought the car on Saturday and am already thinking about my first oil change, lmao... Man I love this forum.
I guess synthetic is the way to go. Its my first turbo, so I want to be on point with what is best. I didnt even consider deposits with a turbo. Makes sense though. I will post a few pics when I get home.
I really love this car. Its hard to believe its a 6.5 second 0-60 family sedan. It really moves. Thanks for the interest. I will post a few pics soon.

Not in the under-warranty TURBO car.
24,000 km is almost 15K miles. That's five times longer than Kia's recommendation.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Not in the under-warranty TURBO car.
24,000 km is almost 15K miles. That's five times longer than Kia's recommendation.

Amsoil certificate 24.000 km or 1 year for hard driving or turbo charger with their oil filters.
Is 3 years that I follow them no issue.

A little surprised to hear that Kia OM states 3k when Hyundai says 3750. We both have the same engine.

ehh...? 0 for the better cold start. 40 for handling the turbo heat. Best of both worlds?

I dont know,but 0w40 seems kind of thick for start up protection with the turbo.

yeah, a negative 10w-XX would have been better, but I can't find anyone who sells it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
well i guess 3k oci would be the way to go.
M1 0/40 might be best but PP might be cheaper
either way i would go 3k AND synthetic
better safe than sorry is my motto

I second The M1 0W40 recommendation, but I would run 4K oci's with a Purolator filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back