2005 Altima 3.5 SE, 9K kms on oil, 129K kms on car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recieved my report back from my used oil analysis. This is on my 05 Altima 3.5L. There are 129,000kms on the car. The oil had 9,000kms on it, it was Castrol Syntec 5W-50 with a fram filter. I run a K&N panel air filter. If you know how to read these and what this means please provide your comments. Do you think I could run longer intervals with this oil?

Code:

Iron 28

Chromium 5

Nickle 0

Aluminum 6

Copper 9

Lead 4

Tin 2

Cadmium 0

Sliver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 16

Sodium 4

Potassium 1

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 76

Antimoly 0

Maganese 2

Lithium 0

Boron 17

Magnesium 66

calcium 2646

Barium 0

Phosphorous 721

Zinc 902

Fuel dilution 1.1 - GC

Soot
Water
Viscosity @ 100C 13.9

Oxidation 12

Nitration 15

No TBN?.....that would give a good indication if you could run longer OCI's.

Please convert 9000km....to miles....for us in the U.S. who do not have a conversion chart available.

Your Iron levels are a bit higher than other Nissan 3.5L UOAs we've seen on BITOG. Yours is 5.02 ppm /1K miles. That is about double that other's are seeing on these engines with 30 weight oil.

Is there a particular reason you are using a 50 weight oil?

Also, you might want to consider another air filter. Silicone values with K&N filters tend to be higher than with OEM filters and this results in additional engine wear.

To convert you multiply or divide by 1.60914...it isn't hard. 5w-50 is....AWFUL. Switch to a lower viscosity now, maybe you'd want to ween it off to a 5w-40 and try a 5w-30 after a few intervals instead (I know you have a 5w-30).

If your goal is to extend intervals you NEED to invest in measuring TAN and TBN. This has been discussed many, many times before and is on many how-to/faq/articles on BITOG as well. For your own sake, please read these types of articles that use real science and not the folklore and guessing games that is mostly portrayed on these forums.

If your east of the Canadian Rockies....you might consider a 0w20 or 0w30 for year-round use.

OCI recommendations would be hard because.... of the lack of TBN and TAN numbers...and your driving habits.

Also....you might get rid the Fram....and use a better mid-tier filter.

I am in the Canadian prairies so we have pretty cold winters. I might go to 0-30 this winter.

What about wear metal volumes, one person here said that the numbers were double the average, does this indicate any significant engine wear? Does it speak to the condition of the engine at all?

Originally Posted By: 05SE35
I am in the Canadian prairies so we have pretty cold winters. I might go to 0-30 this winter.

What about wear metal volumes, one person here said that the numbers were double the average, does this indicate any significant engine wear? Does it speak to the condition of the engine at all?

Your numbers weren't terribly high. It's just you could probably do better with a 30 weight oil. 50 weight oil is terribly viscous for a daily driver that hasn't been modified.

Tell us about your driving habits. Do you do a lot of short trips? Also, as mentioned, you need a TBN to tell if you can extend your OCIs.

Driving habits are 90% highway. Its been like that its entire life. Previous owner was a traveling sales man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back