Sears branded tires. Guardsman, Superguard GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I hate to say that is a older chart. (already!Scary!)

Both tires are made by Cooper.

The guardsman is a sister tire to cooper entry level, the Trendsetter SE. Cooper uses this tire for many of the private labels it makes for out there.

The Superguard GT is a bit tougher to figure out. It's either an older Zeon line tire, or it is a clone of another of their lines, Starfire. The way to tell would be to see where it is made. If out of country, the Starfire line. If US made, part of the Zeon line....

The chart may be a few years old but many tires are still made by the same few companies.

Most of the big tire companies have merged and there are only a few major companies that make tires.

Tires

If a person can see the tire they want to buy,they can find who makes the tire by the code on the side wall.

Reading Tire Codes

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
The chart may be a few years old but many tires are still made by the same few companies.

Most of the big tire companies have merged and there are only a few major companies that make tires.

Tires

If a person can see the tire they want to buy,they can find who makes the tire by the code on the side wall.

Reading Tire Codes

True...it's just interesting how fast the changes are happening...

Looks like they've changed the guardsman plus tread design. I have 4 guardsman plus tires on my intrepid and they are HORRIBLE in the snow.

Bowlofturtle, I do understand if your budget only allows you so much to work with and I don't know what vehicle these tires are going on but...If you want CS4's, buy CS4's! This is the only way you'll know that you got'em! Or buy other high rated tires mentioned here and other sites. See if you can duplicate those "prices" or come as close a possible by purchacing better tires online and having a reputible place install them.

If your looking for good tires, SEARS-named tires doesn't have any. Maybe their Sears/Michelin's are good, IDK. And SEARS does sell major name brand tires too which I beleive are decent but, way overpriced.

Although the price(s) that you show are good prices for 4 installed tire anywhere, you are going to get what you paid for. If your not keeping the vehicle long then, OK! But, there are lot's of tires that will get you to or past 10,000 miles without many complaints but, this could be the, "I told ya so!"

Man, there is nothing like really good tires. Even my wife and daughter can tell when they don't like a tire or something is wrong with their car(s). Tires that don't viberate on the hiwy, keep their balance longer, don't pull one way or the other and actually last a decent amount of miles. Plus all of the other qualities in my/our personal creteria.

I have never had good success with SEARS tires. Although I have never owned Michelin made SEARS tires, only Good/Year and other SEARS tires. The Michelin made SEARS tires are grossly overpriced and usually of an older design.

Good tires mean the world to me and they can make a cars' feel and security top notch especially in foul weather, highway cruising, and just normal driving/handling.

I have purchaced many so-so tires over the years from SEARS and many local tires stores and they always seem OK when new. But, get 10K miles on'em and there is whole different story. It's like, one day their fine and the next day their junk!

Now, I will only buy from the online tire stores for better tires of high quality and great reviews. I pay much, much less, apples for apples after they're shipped to my house and I have them installed by the installer of my choice. For 4 tires, I often pay $120-$150 less after everything is said & done!

I have become a tire finatic lately since I have been buying tire based on good/great customer reviews and test score by the testing facilitys and personl opinions of folks(family/friends) in my circle.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Bowlofturtle, I do understand if your budget only allows you so much to work with and I don't know what vehicle these tires are going on but...If you want CS4's, buy CS4's! This is the only way you'll know that you got'em! Or buy other high rated tires mentioned here and other sites. See if you can duplicate those "prices" or come as close a possible by purchacing better tires online and having a reputible place install them.

If your looking for good tires, SEARS-named tires doesn't have any. Maybe their Sears/Michelin's are good, IDK. And SEARS does sell major name brand tires too which I beleive are decent but, way overpriced.

Although the price(s) that you show are good prices for 4 installed tire anywhere, you are going to get what you paid for. If your not keeping the vehicle long then, OK! But, there are lot's of tires that will get you to or past 10,000 miles without many complaints but, this could be the, "I told ya so!"

Man, there is nothing like really good tires. Even my wife and daughter can tell when they don't like a tire or something is wrong with their car(s). Tires that don't viberate on the hiwy, keep their balance longer, don't pull one way or the other and actually last a decent amount of miles. Plus all of the other qualities in my/our personal creteria.

I have never had good success with SEARS tires. Although I have never owned Michelin made SEARS tires, only Good/Year and other SEARS tires. The Michelin made SEARS tires are grossly overpriced and usually of an older design.

Good tires mean the world to me and they can make a cars' feel and security top notch especially in foul weather, highway cruising, and just normal driving/handling.

I have purchaced many so-so tires over the years from SEARS and many local tires stores and they always seem OK when new. But, get 10K miles on'em and there is whole different story. It's like, one day their fine and the next day their junk!

Now, I will only buy from the online tire stores for better tires of high quality and great reviews. I pay much, much less, apples for apples after they're shipped to my house and I have them installed by the installer of my choice. For 4 tires, I often pay $120-$150 less after everything is said & done!

I have become a tire finatic lately since I have been buying tire based on good/great customer reviews and test score by the testing facilitys and personl opinions of folks(family/friends) in my circle.

As I have said before, I will say it again.

Today's tires have to perform well. In today's age what with government regulation, the social climate(the ability to rate tires in a second) and the fear of having that "firestone" stigma it makes zero sense for any tire maker to put out a bad tire.

Futhermore, most of us do not need high end tires. Our cars and our driving style do not warrant a high performance tire.

As I have said, I can put on $1200 running shoes. But I gain no performance over $10 kmarts. I can put $1500 hiking boots on. Again, if im on a side of a mountain, I gain no traction. I am still going to fall. I am not set up to climb mountains.

So. Putting $400 tires on your (insert sub 25K car here) sedan may sound like a great idea. But your car, your suspension, your breaking system, ect. . . are more than likely not set up to get any good use out of them.

The basic tires are all we really need.

If you have a basic commuter car, a basic all season tire is really all you need.

Trucks/SUV's may see better performance with all-terrain tires. If your going mudding, Mud-terrain may work even better.

If you have a BMW M5, you may want to put the $400 a piece Summer high performance tires on since the car is built to use that type of tire.

If you have a Audi A8, you may want to put $400 a piece grand touring tires since again, the car is set up for that

But people, *for the most part* any name brand tire that fits your OEM recommendation for size/speed rating/ect will work more than fine. Because, most of todays cars we see on the road are not set up for racing around a curve at 75 mph, or having a cloud soft ride at 80 mph, or going through six inches of mud, ect. . . No. Most of our cars are set up to have a tolerable ride. Nothing more. Nothing less. And that is what your going to get. You will get that with $90 tires and with $400 tires.

As I said, no tire maker selling tires in the U.S. wants to go through the Firestone issue. Half of them probably would not even be able to make it through such an event. They no this. So, if your looking at a cheap, name brand tire, that meets your car's spec and thats all you want to spend. Go for it.

It's like oil. Most of our cars do not need $8 a quart synthetic. But some, like me (I will admit it), like to use it anyway.

So if you are one of those people, who just want to get the better "quality" just because you want it. Then go for it! I am all for that.

A more expensive tire generally will do things better than a cheaper tire. It will last longer, be in better balance, and grip better than a cheaper tire. If one can afford them, there's no reason why not to get more expensive tires. One's life is literally dependent on those 4 tires, so why not get the best one can afford? I'd rather spend a little more now on tires than spend the next few years driving a car with out-of-round tires that can't grip worth a darn in inclement weather. Been there, done that when my parents were trying to save a buck. They saved on the purchase price, and spent the next few years dealing with constant re-inflation, hydroplaning/no grip in snow, and vibration on the highway. They were always complaining about those cheap tires.

Case in point: my folks have put 2 sets of cheap tires ($250/set) on their cars. In the same mileage I've put 1 set of pricier tires ($400/set) on my Buick, and not had the problems they've experienced. I've come out ahead in money, time, and satisfaction. I've also been safer in inclement weather due to the tires gripping better thanks to better tread design and materials.

TireRack has a lot of choices around $300 before shipping. General Altimax HP and RT, and Hankook Optimo 727's are all available for that price. Those are all head and shoulders above the Sears-branded tires for the same money spent.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
A more expensive tire generally will do things better than a cheaper tire. It will last longer, be in better balance, and grip better than a cheaper tire. If one can afford them, there's no reason why not to get more expensive tires. One's life is literally dependent on those 4 tires, so why not get the best one can afford? I'd rather spend a little more now on tires than spend the next few years driving a car with out-of-round tires that can't grip worth a darn in inclement weather. Been there, done that when my parents were trying to save a buck. They saved on the purchase price, and spent the next few years dealing with constant re-inflation, hydroplaning/no grip in snow, and vibration on the highway. They were always complaining about those cheap tires.

Case in point: my folks have put 2 sets of cheap tires ($250/set) on their cars. In the same mileage I've put 1 set of pricier tires ($400/set) on my Buick, and not had the problems they've experienced. I've come out ahead in money, time, and satisfaction. I've also been safer in inclement weather due to the tires gripping better thanks to better tread design and materials.

TireRack has a lot of choices around $300 before shipping. General Altimax HP and RT, and Hankook Optimo 727's are all available for that price. Those are all head and shoulders above the Sears-branded tires for the same money spent.

$400 a set is a cheap tire. My point exactly!!!!!

rg200amp,

I truely beleive that the OP(bowlofturtle) can get a set of 4 higher rated tires online with local installation at or close to the price he mentioned from SEARS. Wheather or not b of t wants to screw around with online purchaces and finding a local installer is another issue.

I for one am running only "T" rated tires not High Performance tires and I am buying them at better prices than I could get them localy. And too, I have been choosing higher rated/scoring tires that fit my criteria. I am speaking of "higher rated/scoring tires" not higher performing tires. Higher rated/scoring tires do perform better in their respective catigory.

There are alot of people complaining about OE tires or other tires in general and too, this is why there are reviews and ratings. Too many people complaining about lack of quality in tires where there is lack of good balance, wobbling/vibrations, radial pull, uneven ware etc. I beleive in helping others here at BITOG and maybe even guiding them in a different direction than where they're going. It's just an opinion although a strong one!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
rg200amp,

I truely beleive that the OP(bowlofturtle) can get a set of 4 higher rated tires online with local installation at or close to the price he mentioned from SEARS. Wheather or not b of t wants to screw around with online purchaces and finding a local installer is another issue.

I for one am running only "T" rated tires not High Performance tires and I am buying them at better prices than I could get them localy. And too, I have been choosing higher rated/scoring tires that fit my criteria. I am speaking of "higher rated/scoring tires" not higher performing tires. Higher rated/scoring tires do perform better in their respective catigory.

There are alot of people complaining about OE tires or other tires in general and too, this is why there are reviews and ratings. Too many people complaining about lack of quality in tires where there is lack of good balance, wobbling/vibrations, radial pull, uneven ware etc. I beleive in helping others here at BITOG and maybe even guiding them in a different direction than where they're going. It's just an opinion although a strong one!

If he can, great. I am not saying buy the cheapest tire money can buy. Buy a good tire. Yea. All im saying is the people who say it needs to be the best tire you can afford are wrong.

The breaks and suspension are the limiting factors here when your stopping or cornering.

And the "x tires ride softer/better than y tire" is all in the head IMHO.

Our econo cars/family sedans don't have the suspenions needed to even feel a difference.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If $400 a set(tax and installation/balance included) is a cheap tire, then what is $220 a set qualified ? Super cheap ?

Depends on the tire. It can either be a steal or a ripoff. If one lucks into a set of General Altimaxe HP's for that price, it's a steal. Getting a set of no-name Chinese tires is a ripoff.

I should have been a bit clearer in specifying that the $250/set tires in my original post were Firestone house specials, while the $400/set tires were Pirelli P4's ordered from Discount Tire Direct.

One can generally get much better tires ordering online and bringing to Wal-Mart or a local garage to install than going to Sears.

[Quote-sciphi] One can generally get much better tires ordering online and bringing to Wal-Mart or a local garage to install than going to Sears.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was my whole point as well! I don't look at this as being inconveinent but others may. Some folks that I know still like buying tires localy even if it's $100-$150 more OTD.

I prefer having tires shipped to my house, throwing the tires in my trunk and driving over to W*M the next morning for $51.84 OTD! Which includes 4 tires mounted, 1X balancing($7.50/tire for lifetime balance/rotate), new valve stems and tire disposal. All in about an hour+ my traveling.

I received my Pirelli P4's(205-65-16)for $300.oo shipped to my door and $47.52 W*M install

I received our Hankook Optimo H727's(205-55-16) shipped to our door for $340.00 and $51.84 W*M install and Hankook rebate.

Most DiscountTireDirect tires have free shipping and are carrying rebates of $30-$70 to boot! Tire Rack usually has similar rebates, you pay for shipping but, the OTD price(shipped to your zip code) is similar.

Lot's of folks see all of this as too much work! I offer to help them...FREE!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back