Hyundai manual says 3,750 mile oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Valvoline Synpower has low NOACK in almost all grades. PP and PU have low 5w30 NOACK. Mobil 1 oils do not post NOACK volatility #'s but I would assume they are good. The key is to keep valve deposits to a minimum in this DI engine.

+1 to any of those, and to 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Hyundai Will do whatever they can do to get out of a warantee claim so make sure you use what they tell you to use... Hyundai filter with 5w20 would be my choice

This is so true. I know a family that owns three Hundai XG350 sedans and they have had to FIGHT for every single warranty repair. One of the cars began banging into reverse at 75k miles and dealership dawdled around until the car was out of powertrain warranty so they didn't have to warranty it.

i have not seen any specs on the new 5000 but the old stuff had a very high tbn! but for the same price i would get QSGB. its supposed to be really stable and shear resistant and it has around 300PPM boron. my 2nd choice(2nd because of price) would be the Motorcraft, it also has a really high boron level. if the 2-3 dollars was not an issue i would choose MC.

maybe the best way to go about it would be to do a couple UOAs and let that decide??

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have the same engine, the key for you and I is an oil that has a low NOACK (as JRed mentioned). I dumped the FF at 600mi. and will continue to change with synthetic. Valvoline Synpower has low NOACK in almost all grades. PP and PU have low 5w30 NOACK. Mobil 1 oils do not post NOACK volatility #'s but I would assume they are good. The key is to keep valve deposits to a minimum in this DI engine. I am personally running MMO in each oil change. Get out and run the car on the highway whenever you get a chance as well. Redline SI-1 is one of the best fuel system cleaners to use also.

(This is the only car I have owned that recommends Fuel system cleaner before each oil change:)

What a great car for the money though!

Hyundai must have changed their opinion of fuel system cleaners. My 2011 Sonata, built in April 2010 and purchased May 2010, states in the owner's manual NOT to use any fuel system cleaning agents.

The 2011 KIA Optima, however, does recommend fuel system cleaner every 7500 miles for the 2.4GDi.

I am at 17,000 miles on my 2011 Sonata and am going to run a bottle of STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner through it on the next fill-up. http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/complete-fuel-system-cleaner/

Techron (which is what Hyundai/KIA uses) would have been my 1st choice, but the auto store was running a 2-for-1 special on Techron and was sold out.

I take my car to the dealer every 3,750 miles to have them change the oil. This is the first car that I have not changed the oil myself. Hyundai has a "reputation" when it comes to their powertrain warranty, so I prefer to have the dealer do it just for a complete service history with dealer receipts.

With that low mileage and the frequent changes, just go with dino. Since Hyundai recommends QS, 5qt QSGB can be had for dirt cheap at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Geez, I have a 2011 Elantra with the 4 cycl. It gets Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20 and OEM filter every 5k miles...

If you start your car these days the manufact. claim severe service..give me a break!

Ross has it nailed---that is not svere enough for me to agree with severe service OCI-for the money you are spending I see zero ROI. Why purchase an inexpensive car and shower it with PU @ 3750 --where is the economy?

I usually do MC or QSUD (whichever is cheaper) or clearance synthetic in 5w20 every 5k with OEM filters on my Elantra. The car runs great and it makes it that much easier to remember when the next OCI is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back