Vortec 2.2 Chevy 2000 S-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2000 S-10 with a 4 cylinder. the truck has 116,000 and is clean for a Michigan truck. The trans needs rebuilt and the motor is leaking at the pan gasket. Can the pan Gasket be changed with out pulling the Motor?

Been there done that with trying the quick way. What kind of answer is get under and find out? You either know or don't know. Simple question simple answer.

Well, I couldn't believe this when I read it...but here it is straight from GM. This is based on a 2WD 4cyl S-10 2000 model year. I just pasted the oil pan removal description because you need to remove it to change the gasket.

Service Information

2000 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 2WD | Blazer, Bravada, Envoy, Jimmy, S10 Pickup, Sonoma VIN S/T Service Manual | Engine | Engine Mechanical - 2.2L | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 512530
Oil Pan Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the engine from the vehicle. Refer to Engine Replacement .
Install the engine on a suitable engine stand.
Remove the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Removal
Clean the sealing surfaces and the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Cleaning and Inspection .
Installation Procedure

Install the oil pan. Refer to Oil Pan Installation .
Remove the engine from the engine stand.
Install the engine into the vehicle. Refer to Engine Replacement .
© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Originally Posted By: tim72
Been there done that with trying the quick way. What kind of answer is get under and find out? You either know or don't know. Simple question simple answer.

The simple answer was for you to get under the durn thing and learn for yourself.
You either know how to work on stuff or you don't.
Not hard!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: tim72

The simple answer was for you to get under the durn thing and learn for yourself.
You either know how to work on stuff or you don't.
Not hard!

Sometimes just looking from the outside isn't going to tell the whole story.

The pan may look like it'll drop right out, BUT it also has to clear the pick up. And that's the real obstacle.

yes you can... I did it but it was on a 2 post lift with a lot of tools at my disposal as I am a tech at a GM dealer. if you plan on keeping the truck it would be good to do as much as you can with the trans out, things that would be harder to do with it in, like the pan gasket, wile your their change the engine and trans mounts.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
may as well replace the engine rear main seal as well since your there

x2...this is a job you don't want to do again.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

not trying to be funny,but might as well replace the engine whilst you have it out

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

not trying to be funny,but might as well replace the engine whilst you have it out

That, or at least replace the head gasket on that engine. It is a huge weakness of the OHV 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back