Vibration at 40 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 ford F150 supercab 4X2. I have made many repairs to the front end and at some point I started noticeing that right at 40 mph it feels like a vibration/hop in my steering wheel and the front end. It is the worst when I first start driving and it gets much better when I have traveled for several miles. It seems to be only right at 40 mph. I recently replaced the tires and it did not fix the problem. The truck has new ball joints, front rotors/brakes, shocks, and has the front end aligned twice. I have read and heard many things about this, but has anyone found what fixed it? I am at my wits end.

Check the brake calipers to make sure they are not keeping the brake pads in contact with rotors even when the brake pedal is not depressed,my 2000 F150 had this problem and that is what was causing it.

Loose suspension parts will allow movement, but do not cause it.

So this is a rotational part. Believe it or not, it still could be tires or wheels - faulty construction, bent, or imbalanced.

But the brakes more likely since you have new parts - that carries some weight.
A rotor that is uneven could do this.
And of course all brake parts should b cleaned and lubed.

Thanks everyone for all the inputs. The strange thing is it gets better after you drive it for a few miles.

Quote:
The strange thing is it gets better after you drive it for a few miles

It sounds like something in the brake caliper(s). Either a sticky caliper or caliper pins. Also check the e brake shoes for de lamination if it uses them, they can cause some strange vibrations, some Expeditions and 150's were known for issues.

Last edited:
It could be brakes as Trav mentioned. I got a bad set of rotors from AAP, and experienced a similar problem. You might want to have a look at the rotors, one of your new rotors could be warped. Also try rotating tires front to rear and see if that helps, it could be a tire/wheel/balance problem.

I've got an annoying vibration between mid 40s-50 or so, but I believe it's the cheap quality tire that is up front currently(Primewell). To Goodyear's credit, the old Viva2's never had those problems, have been rotated to the back. I got all tires rebalanced, still the same problem exists similar to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back