Rear Differential Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3y.o. Craftsman 20hp lawn tractor (mis-labeled 19.5).It's a 6spd. manual trans. Does anyone know if the differential oil needs to be replaced, and if so, with what?

In that application I don't think it is going to make any difference. But then, you are a BITOG member so Amsoil or Royal Purple will do fine.
lol.gif

If its a standard 6 speed tranny, it is most likely packed with bentonite grease at the factory and is considered "lubed for life".
Check your owners manual, but for the most part, only the heavy duty garden tractors have transaxles you can service.

I downloaded the manual and no info given for the differential. I figured that "lubed for life" meant the same thing that is does in cars; i.e. for the length of the warranty. I changed the tranny fluid in my "permanent lube for life" automatic transmission, and am going to change the "never needs changing" rear axle oil in my truck when the flippin' heat wave abates. So I was looking at my mower and my BITOG-mind got to thinking about the differential. What is "betonite" anyway?

Bentonite grease it a thick, black, sticky, tar-like grease.
Basically, before they put the 2 halves of the transaxle case together, they pump the specified amount in. The only way to "change" it would be to take the transaxle out, split the 2 case halves apart, take all the shafts and gears out, and soak everything in degreaser, repack with grease and reassemble the unit. It is not really necessary or practical to do as part of routine maintenance. It really only is done then the transaxle is apart for repair. I wouldn't worry to much about it, my grandmother has a late 80's John Deere STX38 rider, I had the unit apart to replace the shift keys in the transaxle, it still had plenty of grease in it after all these years.
Transaxle reliability depends on who manufactured your Craftsman, some were made by AYP (American yard products), some were made by MTD. MTD made their own transaxle, they were marginal even under light duty use. AYP used Peerless transaxles, which have been pretty reliable units (thats what was in the STX38)

Originally Posted By: cronk
Bentonite grease it a thick, black, sticky, tar-like grease.
Basically, before they put the 2 halves of the transaxle case together, they pump the specified amount in. The only way to "change" it would be to take the transaxle out, split the 2 case halves apart, take all the shafts and gears out, and soak everything in degreaser, repack with grease and reassemble the unit. It is not really necessary or practical to do as part of routine maintenance. It really only is done then the transaxle is apart for repair. I wouldn't worry to much about it, my grandmother has a late 80's John Deere STX38 rider, I had the unit apart to replace the shift keys in the transaxle, it still had plenty of grease in it after all these years.
Transaxle reliability depends on who manufactured your Craftsman, some were made by AYP (American yard products), some were made by MTD. MTD made their own transaxle, they were marginal even under light duty use. AYP used Peerless transaxles, which have been pretty reliable units (thats what was in the STX38)

+1 on the peerless! our 40 year old craftsman got its first transaxle oil change this year. I'm still kicking myself for not taking pics of the grey glitter oil that came out.

I know the between the knees shift, 6spd, high/low range Craftsman GT transaxle has drain/fill plugs and takes gear oil.

The last fender shift gear drive I'm familiar with that took oil would be a Tufftorq used on JD GTs from years ago. Those took 10w30.

Like said, the grease will last decades in there. You'll probably leak a bit if you try to convert to oil.

Joel

Cronk is correct. I have the same machine and caught the kids doing wheelies and burnouts. Started jumping out of gear badly after that. Took it apart and it is packed with the "bentonite" grease. AYP makes it hard to get parts, I just got an exchange unit and it works fine again. No real way to clean and lube it without a lot of work. It was very clean and lubed well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back