FRAM ON SALE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VRAY
Cmon guys!!
If Fram is this bad there would be broken down cars all over the place.All the hate on here is just silly!!!
If you dont like them dont buy them but rehashing urban legends is like saying Pennzoil will sludge up.

Not really. Many engines over the years did not even come with oil filters and they ran for years. I have seen many many stovebolt straight 6 cylinders with no oil filter that were still all original.

If you read my post you can see that I said they are not my first choice nor my last.I would use them over an e-core .I am just tired of seeing all the negative comments from folks that have never had a problem themselves,only a perceived issue.Like I said,Ive used alot of different filters over the last 40 years and never had a problem with Fram.I could care less about the politics of buying shelf space,advertising,etc.
I only passed on the 3.00 price to anyone interested.

"I could care less about the politics of buying shelf space,advertising,etc"

Politics? No politics, known Fram marketing strategy. Pay to dominate shelf space at places like Wally. Also pay to large sums to saturate advertising in automotive magazines, NHRA and other automotive settings.

Many, including myself wish they put those funds towards improving their oil filter products like the orange can.

And, "could care less", doesn't mean you "couldn't" care less.

As for posting the $3.00 price, fyi, the sale/promo board is designed for posting promo thread starters. Even YMMV postings as this one appears to be.

Walmart sells shelf space, not so sure about that, without seeing an invoice to fram from wm, I don't believe it. Seems like a good speculation though. I think they just get the best price on filters, or sell filters the masses will buy most, which is probably Fram extra guard, like it or not.
I bet if wm stocked white purolators many people would go elsewhere to buy their frams.

I used Frams for years and didnt have any problems.Some talk about the endcaps being cardboard but then the same people must not realize that most elements are made of paper.

If the paper element doesnt concern them then why does a thicker fiber endcap?

The main concern I have with Fram is they need more element in their filters.Some also have concerns about their by-pass and ADBV valves sealing against the cardboard/fiber endcaps.

There is most likely little if any leakage and if there is,it shouldnt be enough to hurt anything.

We have heard many times how a friends friends cousins nephews brothers cousins friend had a Fram destroy their engine but how many have actually had one fail themselves?All filters have failures and when you consider the huge number of Frams that are used every day,they are going to have more failures than the next best selling filter.

It seems that many that have never had a filter failure of any kind and may have actually used Fram themselves at one time,without any problems,now are bashing them for no real reason.

Many seem to have heard this or that and now Fram is an engine destroying filter that will ruin an engine just by getting close to it.

I havent used a Fram oil filter is some time,if they would add a little more element,I might use them again.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: VRAY
Cmon guys!!
If Fram is this bad there would be broken down cars all over the place.All the hate on here is just silly!!!
If you dont like them dont buy them but rehashing urban legends is like saying Pennzoil will sludge up.

Not really. Many engines over the years did not even come with oil filters and they ran for years. I have seen many many stovebolt straight 6 cylinders with no oil filter that were still all original.
Yes, but full flow filters greatly increase engine life along with greatly increased oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Yes, but full flow filters greatly increase engine life along with greatly increased oil change intervals.

I put a full flow oil filter set-up on our '69 VW so I could get away from 1500 mile oil changes. Worth every penny.

Im not a Fram fan. They may be OK to use. Here is my argument - If you have 3 bucks to spend on a filter, would you choose a Fram, with cardboard endcaps and less filtering media, or would you choose, say a Purolator, with metal encaps, more filtering media, and better overall construction? The choice for me is simple.

I used fram alot when I was younger when I thought autoparts guy knew all, lol. I'll pay the $6 for a wix filter. They can keep their can of doom...

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I used fram alot when I was younger

They can keep their can of doom...

If it was a can of doom, shouldn't have your car blown up by now?

Couldn't find a pure at meijers,they only had frams (what i'm wanting to get away from)so i got a AC Delco from auto zone until i can find what i want.Is the Delco a full flow or ??.
What is a full flow?Are oil filters not all a full flow??
Looks like a anti-drainback in the delco or am i just seeing sonething?

Originally Posted By: brick
Couldn't find a pure at meijers,they only had frams (what i'm wanting to get away from)so i got a AC Delco from auto zone until i can find what i want.Is the Delco a full flow or ??.

You probably picked up the E-core. I would say you are better off getting the Fram.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
You probably picked up the E-core. I would say you are better off getting the Fram.

shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: brick

A non-full flow filter is kind of a specialty item, called a bypass filter. Not the regular filter type you find on a store shelf. (And not to be confused with a bypass valve which is a part inside most oil filters.)
Almost all oil filters have an anti-drainback valve, but in some AC/Delcos, they can be hard to see because of the double metal layer on the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back