1997 Ford F150 4.6l oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up this truck and needed to know what you folks think I should run in it. I have been out of the BITOG loop for a while, so any insight would be great!

The manual says 5w-30 or 10w-30 but it seems that Ford went back and recommended 5w-20 for these modular motors. What is the consensus?

with it being a 97 i would assume the mileage is up there and the seals are a little hardened. i suggest a high mileage oil like maxlife or GTX 5/30. i actually prefer the GTX but run whatever is cheaper

the back spec thing is complete [censored]!! if your looking for increased oil consumption give 5/20 a shot

If you search, there are many threads like this. Consensus is to run whatever (literally) you like; as long as it's rated better than SJ. If you run a HDEO, there will be a small mileage penalty, but it won't blow up or anything like that. If you find you're using oil, switch to a high-mileage flavor.

use valvoline maxlife 5w30 with FL820S, btw when doing tune up, use only motorcraft spark plug wire and NGK TR55 for spark plug, and make sure engine is stone cold when change plug.

Thanks folks! I will try a high mileage 5-30. It has 149k and running perfect with no oil loss. I just changed the plugs to Motorcraft plats. I am aware of the spark plug issues and was very careful on the torque. Funny... I was able to unscrew the old plugs without using a wrench! They were loose and were pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: SMILEY
Thanks folks! I will try a high mileage 5-30. It has 149k and running perfect with no oil loss. I just changed the plugs to Motorcraft plats. I am aware of the spark plug issues and was very careful on the torque. Funny... I was able to unscrew the old plugs without using a wrench! They were loose and were pretty bad.

Next time u heard a tick, check your plug its loosing

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: SMILEY

Next time u heard a tick, check your plug its loosing

BINGO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back