Dexron II Type D... A question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm driving a Renault Laguna I, and the manual states that the correct power steering fluid is ELF RENAULT MATIC D2 or MOBIL ATF 220.

The Haynes Manual for this model states "ELF RENAULT MATIC D2, DEXRON II ATF"...

I just bough some Fluid to top off my reservoir, whose instructions state is it compatible with Dexron I and Dexron II specs.

Is it safe to use it? After a bit of googling it seems that both the ELF and MOBIL fluids are Dexron II TYPE D (whatever the D means, not sure), whereas the fluid I bought makes no mention of TYPE D, it just says it is compatible with dexron I and II.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
If it is is Dexron III you are ok , it is a backwards compatible with Dexron I and II.

Type D was an iteration of the Dexron II fluid. Dexron II type B didn't contain anti-corrosion/anti-rust additives which caused the transmission cooler line fittings to leak. This caused the transmission fluid to contaminate the cooling system and the coolant to contaminate the transmission. GM then released a "conditioner" to be added to type B to fix this issue. I don't think there was a type C, but type D fixed type B's issues.

Any modern fluid that meets Dexron II is going to meet Dexron II type D. They are only stating type D because when your car came out there was probably still type B fluid floating around that you could purchase.

Thanks for your answers, guys!

By the way, my car is from 1997.

If it is any help, the fluid I bought seems reddish in colour, and states (roughly translated to English):

POWER STEERING FLUID

Especially conceived fluid for the power steering of most vehicles. Always check your user's manual. This product can be used when the maker states a type Dexron or Dexron II fluid. Not suitable for Volkwagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Citroen Vehicles (LHM).
09/06 - 64065/01 - EMB B2620
Date of Manufacture - 11/04/2011

Last edited:
That should be fine. ATF and PSF are very similar and often interchangeable as far as the power steering system goes.

Thanks!

I was just wondering if ATF and Power steering fluids are the same...

The car has manual transmission.

Considering the reccomendations for the power steering: ELF RENAULT MATIC D2/MOBIL ATF 220/DEXRON II ATF, does this mean I have to use Automatic Transmission Fluid? Or is the power steering fluid and the ATF the same? Is ATF red like the Power Steering Fluid? Can they mix, or is that a no no? Can they be distinguished visually?

I'm kind of confused about it, since it seems both fluids have dexron specs/norms...

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I just checked on my local retailer's website, and he also sells a Dexron III ATF fluid.

So, my question would be, which one to use to top off? Or if it's the same.

I think ATF is not red, like the PS fluid, right? Also, does it matter which of these is already on my reservoir, or can I add either? Or should I add only one of these options?

Thanks, guys!

DEXRON-IID was as someone stated an iteration of DEXRON-II to deal with corrosion. It was not an issue with the fittings but the cooler and how the connections were built in to the cooler.

Originally Posted By: Thax
If it is is Dexron III you are ok , it is a backwards compatible with Dexron I and II.

DEXRON-VI is backwards compatible witth all previous DEXRON ATF releases. All of the other fluids That make claims to having DEXRON ATF approval or suggesting to having a DEXRON ATF approval are not correct unless they can produce a licence number that can be checked and verified by GM SPO.

Can someone please help out with some of my questions in my two previous post?
smile.gif

Put ATF in your PS system.

There are better trans lubes available since the decades since your car was built.
Sure, you can use ATF, but it is simply adequate.
I'd use a light real dedicated manual trans lube [a synchromesh type] from Amsoil of Redline.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Put ATF in your PS system.

There are better trans lubes available since the decades since your car was built.
Sure, you can use ATF, but it is simply adequate.
I'd use a light real dedicated manual trans lube [a synchromesh type] from Amsoil of Redline.

I don't have access to Amsoil or Redline. At least not very easily.

Main choices are Power Steering fluid (dexron II) or ATF (Dexron III).

So, I'm guessing ATF is the way to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Johnyjj1212
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
type] from Amsoil of Redline.

I don't have access to Amsoil or Redline.

That is probably a good thing since as far as I know neither one of them has any documented approval.

That being the case then DEXRON-VI is the best option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back