Metal particles in oil inside oil filter. Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there were no larger metal particles in the oil filter, only microscopic ones. But very few in the oil from the pan. This is why I'm confused. I understand the part about numerous particles in oil being bad news. The part I don't understand is what it means when you find them mainly in filter.

The car is 03 corolla with 78000 miles. Did extended (3 weeks) MMO soak to free rings and fix oil consumption. Decarboning is "a side effect".

It is common with a new engine for the oil to come out shimmery with metal particles. With broken in motors I have never seen metal slivers/shavings/particles - but I have never looked with a microscope.

Maybe it is stuff that was packed into the ring lands with carbon, although unless your bores are nikasil or similar, they should be magnetic.

I have seen some pretty torn up skirts without visible evidence in the oil.

that is awesome jacek, i was joking w/ the right person. but you didn't provide discussion on the visuals. how did you transfer the sample to the slide? unless i'm wrong, the dark blobs look like soot or carbon, the lighter brown the actual oil and not much metal at all?

I assume the black and brown are carbon and shiny are metal. My guess only. I do know where the red ones came from: red outside paint (AAP house brand).

Not sure why the moderator moved this thread to the oil analysis forum as the pictures were taken on my son's toy microscope and I'm not in the oil analysis business!

41QWZGP45AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

you should do my filter inspections
lol.gif

i just wack em open with a hacksaw and look for sludge/carbon, ignoring the shiny metal flakes that i assume are from the saw...

the microscope thing is a much better way of doing it..

anyone ever thought about sending in the ol from the filter to get checked? seems like thats where most wear metals are going to be

As a rule when we were working on engines and did an oil drain, we looked at the oil with a 10X scope and ALWAYS saw silver metallic particles. The filter picked up the large harmful stuff and the small stuff circulates. This was most evident during the first 5,000 miles but, never went completely away regardless of miles.

In the past, before I got my FilterMag, I used to place magnets in the used oil drain bucket, attached with string, to see how much matter is in the oil after the OCI. I would slowly rotate the magnets in the used oil and then wipe off on a clean paper towel. It was all the very fine silvery particles that would attach themselves to magnets. The paper towel, after a few wipes on the magnets, would be black with a type of magnetic carbon material that would remind me of "crushed Pencil Lead".

IMO...these was the microscopic particles of Iron or Steel circulating in the oil that were not caught in the filter media. I'm sure that other metals are in the used oil along with the dirt. I hope to try the same test in the future, but after an oil change with using the FilterMag on my Oil Filter for the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back