Ford Mercon vs Ford Mercon V transmission Fluid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Trying to change transmission fluid in my 04 Ford Ranger 4x4 5 speed pickup. In the manual it said to use Mercon ATF for tranny and Transfer case. Went to the ford dealer and said ok to use Mercon V. The quart container said Mercon V is now replacement for Mercon. But NOW on Mercon V bottle said not use for Transfer Case.

What should I use on transmission, and also for the Transfer case. I'm willing to use aftermarket synthetic such as Asoil or whatever would be good.
I try and follow owners manual, but with discontinued fluid by Ford I'm lost!

Thanks,
Mark.......

synchromax.png
Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid. It’s also ideal for 4×4 transfer cases and motorcycle gear boxes. Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials. It provides excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers.

WELCOME TO bitog!!

Hello,
Have a 04 Ford Ranger 4x4 5 speed. Ford Dealer said its ok to use MerconV since Mercon is now discontinued. It states this on the MerconV bottle, HOWEVER it said DO NOT USE IN TRANSFER CASE! I am changing manual and transfer case at same time.

Is there a product someone could recommend with proven results! How does Amsoil work in this situation?

Thanks,
Mark.....

You dont want to use MV in yout Tcase. Amsoil universal or torque drive will work great aswell as Red Line or RP

Mercon V for the transmission

DO not use ATF in the transmission. Use Redline MTL or Amsoil. This has been talked about at least 1000 times, lots of reading in the archives..

Last edited:
I use Amsoil Synthetic ATF in everything that calls for Dex III or Mercon V. IMO, there isn't anything better. Over standard Dex III and Mercon V, Amsoil ATF makes every gear box I own shift so much better.

I use Amsoil Synthetic ATF in everything that calls for Dex III or Mercon V. IMO, there isn't anything better. Over standard Dex III and Mercon V, Amsoil ATF makes every gear box I own shift so much better.

surely amsoil makes something like the RP synchromax product for gear boxes and manual transmissions.

wheres a rep when you need one?

Use real dedicated manual trans lube from redline or amsoil.
The lighter synchromesh versions work very well. Far superior to ATF.

For the transfer case, use the MerconV - it is OK'd now.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
For the transfer case, use the MerconV - it is OK'd now.

Negative. Ford has a Transfer Case Fluid for this specific application. Mercon V was not spec'd for transfer cases that spec'd Mercon.

quoting from for the Mercon V section http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com
Do not use in transfer cases where MERCON® ATF was previously recommended

I literally just put Castrol Mercon V in my transfer case this past week...do I need to change it? [censored]?

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I literally just put Castrol Mercon V in my transfer case this past week...do I need to change it? [censored]?

Yes. yes you do!
spankme2.gif

Tell me why though. What will happen? Explorerforum.com seems to think it will be fine. It drives fine. What is in the t-case that is so particular?

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Tell me why though. What will happen? Explorerforum.com seems to think it will be fine. It drives fine. What is in the t-case that is so particular?

Explorer forum doesn't know much about lubricates. If Ford says not to use it, that good enough for me...
19.gif

Mobil 1 ATF is a good choice. I've had good luck with it (as have many, MANY others) in the T-5 behind the 302 in the Mustang. It also works well in transfer cases. Just don't get the Mercon V version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back