Oil binging car stopped binging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I'd like to share what has happened to my "new" car in the oil consumption department
wink.gif

I bought it used. It had around 150.000 km (90.000 or so miles) and 13 years of age.
It's a Renault Laguna I, 1.8 liter, gasoline, similar to this one: Image

I made the first oil and filter change when I bought it, using SHELL HELIX HX7 10W40. In 10.000 kilometers, I had to add around 4 liters of oil to maintain the oil level.

I was starting to get scared at this oil binge, but recently, and after I changed oil and filter again, this time using BP VISCO 5000 10W40, it seems I no longer have to add oil to maintain the proper level.

As a side note, it seems that the car was stopped for a bit, befoe I bought it. It probably made less than 15.000 km (9.000 miles) in the last 4 years. But in this last year, since I've bought it, I've made around 15.000 km (9.000 mile).

Another side note is that the car manual requires an API SH or better oil. The SHELL HELIX is an API SM, whereas the BP VISCO is an API SL.

I was just wondering if this "oil binging" reduction has any plausible cause. Could it be because the car had little use for a while? Was it the oil I used on this second change?
Any ideas?

Last edited:
It is common to see consumption decrease after a few intervals on a certain oil, if consumption was seen.

Either SHELL HELIX HX7 or BP VISCO 5000 is not available in USA. Some engines consume some oil with certain brands but not with other brands. You found a perfect oil for your engine, keep using BP in your engine from now on.

I would try an experiment... use the Shell again and see what happens. If it is the oil itself you will see consumption again. The BP VISCO may have more seal swelling additive/conditioner than the Shell.

If it doesn't matter to you that much just stick with what is working.

I am not too familiar with those oils since you can't get them in the US.

Welcome!

I suspect that just bringing the car back into regular use had the effect of freeing any sticky rings and conditioning any stiffish seals.
It may have been the change in oil brand, but I doubt it.
In any event, you do know for sure that your run of the BP oil reduced consumption, so why not just stay with it?

Thicker oil usually slows consumption. It is the oldest trick in the book.

Is a x-40 really recommended for that engine? A x-30 would give you more power and economy [but maybe more burning - who knows? maybe less!].

The user manual says the car can use from 5-30 to 15-50.

Since the car used 10w40 in the last change before I bought it, I just used the same, fearing too much burn if I used a 5-40, for instance.

Haynes Manual says 10-30 to 15-50.

The engine is a Renault F3P, that was first used in 1988, in the Renault 19.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back