A suitable alternative to distilled water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed quite a few radiator shops here collect condensation drip from their air conditioners to use instead of tap water. They basically have 10 liter plastic jerrycans with modified caps, so the condensation hose coming from the air conditioner "locks" into place.

I've always used distilled water, which costs about 35 cents a liter here, but is condensation drip really a suitable alternative?
21.gif

Excellent! I've got 3 central air conditioning units up on the roof. I might as well grab another two 10 liter plastic jerrycans, a few meters of plastic hosing and arrange a similar setup myself.
grin2.gif

Following condenser cleaning the water may be contaminated for some time. You can also use de-ionized water.

What about acid rain? oh ya,I forgot.
That Earthly symetrical rise in temperature/with additional pollutants myth, went out in the eighties.

i guess it would be purdy fine, never thought of it! pretty ingenious. depends on how clean the storage vessels are.

At 35 cents per litre how long is it going to take to amortize the cost of collection containers, hoses, etc.? How do you value your time?

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
At 35 cents per litre how long is it going to take to amortize the cost of collection containers, hoses, etc.? How do you value your time?

Valid point. To break it down for 3 air conditioning units:

- 2 collection containers (already have 1): $5.50,
- Hose: $1.80
- 3 funnels: $1.00
- Metal wiring: $1.80

So that's about $10.10, equalivant to 29 liters of distilled water, and a new 10 liter container costing $2.75 thereafter.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I've noticed quite a few radiator shops here collect condensation drip from their air conditioners to use instead of tap water. They basically have 10 liter plastic jerrycans with modified caps, so the condensation hose coming from the air conditioner "locks" into place.

I've always used distilled water, which costs about 35 cents a liter here, but is condensation drip really a suitable alternative?
21.gif

What are you plannning to use this water for?

Top up washer fluid (alongside a washer fluid additive) and for a coolant flush I have coming up in about a month's time. Use about 30 liters to thoroughly flush out the old coolant.

For non drinking purposes it may be ok (i.e. coolant dilution or washer fluid) because you just don't want hard water. The bacteria and fungus will be cooked or killed by the chemical you add later.

on my mitchell program, when you look up the info on fluids for the car,

anything with Dexcool says, Use 50/50 mixture of Dexcool and Clean, drinkable water

everything else says distilled water... what gives?

I don't know of any other mechanics who use distilled water.... even dealer techs

I think Legionnaires disease came from A/C condensate water..

Not sure you need to flush 30 liters of water through the block. I just changed the coolant on my BMW, second time in 20 years, Inside of block was like new; nothing to flush. I just drained the block and rad and added the new stuff. Good for 10 more years.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: 38sho
I don't know of any other mechanics who use distilled water.... even dealer techs

Why should they go through the trouble? Any problems with tap water and deposits will show up long after the work is forgotten. The owner will never associate problems with a tech who may have used tap water 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: 229
You can also use de-ionized water.

MANY on here BLASTED me when I either suggested the same, or directed them to a site which suggested the use of de-ionized water.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back