Ford Modular V8's 4.6 What Oil And Weight ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil and weight is everyone using in their ford modular v8 engines Both 4.6 And 5.4 ??
What years Do You Have And Do You Mix Weights Like 5w20 with 5w30?

Last edited:
Pre 2004 M1 0-40
2004+ 5-20

My 99 loves a heavier almost 40wt oil. My best results have been Redline and the M1-0-40 which both run a 3.8

Our 2007 runs well on about any 5-20 i have been happy with PU though

We have a couple of 5.4 here. One is silent on lighter oil but sounds like marbles in a tin can on heavier weights, the other is just the opposite, same year and model.

All i can say is try both and let the engine decide, you will know.

5W20 Motorcraft Blend in the 05 CVLX.

5W20 Motorcraft Full Synthetic in the 07 GMQ.

5W20 Mobil 1 SN the other 05 CVLX.

WE do not mix 5W20/5W30 weights with any of these ..None of these cars ever used 5W30.

Those engines run well with thick and thin. Many taxi companies use Xw20 with great success and 1/2 million miles plus. Many construction companies use Xw40 with great success and 1/2 million miles plus. Some HiPo versions use Xw50 as well. Too bad 99.999% of all those Modulars are hooked to a dummy gauge, so most of us do not know real oil pressure differences between weights. I like the fact they have the oil pump up front as opposed to the old driven gear system. They do well on low zn/ph oils as well.

Originally Posted By: Trav
We have a couple of 5.4 here. One is silent on lighter oil but sounds like marbles in a tin can on heavier weights, the other is just the opposite, same year and model.

It's so true. One can't say which viscosity is best for an engine family. You need to try various weights in a particular engine to see which is best for that engine.

My '00 E430 is silent with thinner oil, any xW20 syn, and much louder with the recommended M1 0W40.

Had a '97 F150 with a Romeo 4.6. Used 5w30, name your name brand dino brand on sale its whole life I had it (163,000 miles). Didn't burn a drop when I sold it and ran like a top. (Sold it for a 4x4 version of the same truck)

Next truck was a '99 F150 with a Romeo 4.6. This one burned a quart every 3,000 miles on 5w30 and 5w20. A quart every 4,000 on 5w40. Ran like a top when I sold it at 193,000 miles (needed a supercrew). I did one year runs with UOA's (about 3 oil changes per year) on 5w20, 5w30, and 5w40. Negligible differences in UOA results. Fuel mileage took a 7% hit on 5w40 versus 5w20 or 5w30. Before anyone sqwaks, these were for one year periods which meant they got winter use, and it gets cold in MN if you didn't already know it. The winter mileage was a killer. In a warm climate, it may not matter as much. I also did the same thing in my '88 Cherokee and it didn't matter to that one. In the end, I settled on using 5w30 year round for commonality with another vehicle in my fleet.

forget the 5w20 because of the cafe (removed profanity}
Do you think 5w20 is bad?
If so how... Can you give us reasons why 5w20 is bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't a single thing wrong with 5w-20, especially in an application like the 4.6L V8.

I've run many different weights, 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40 and 15w-40. The engine ran pretty much the same on all of them, but certain oils did cause fuel economy penalties. If you do not have leaks or consumption, there isn't a single reason I can think of to use anything but a 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
0w30 or 0w40. Forget that 5w-20 cafe law (removed profanity} conformity spec

What proof do you have of this? I've tried both 5W-20 and 5W-30 and I've seen virtually NO difference. Not in consumption, perceived power, MPG, noise - you name it.

Could it be that there really isn't much difference between the two - not to mention many have said and shown that SOME 5W-30 sheer down to a 20 anyhow!

Right now I have Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in my Grand Marquis. Runs great regardless of whether I'm in the Ca./Arizona deserts or Washington winters. 82K miles and counting.

I'll let you know when the "5w-20 cafe law conformity (removed profanity} spec." kills my engine!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford recommends 10w-30 for this engine in the Middle East, whilst I have seen 5w-40 recommended for Australia. I'm currently running 0w-30, with no consumption issues at all, but will switch to 5w-40 at my next interval purely for the additive package. That said, I use ACEA A3/B3/B4-04 rated oils at minimum.

Originally Posted By: Trav

This is exactly how I found out my 99 4.6 Romeo liked heavier oil. There is nothing wrong with 5-20wt oil. Ford did extensive testing on it, but I realize my engine likely is not built to the same tolorences as a NEW 4.6 or 5.4. On 30 or 40wt this engine burns zero oil on 20wt she burns a Qt every 3k.

The 07 has VVT and hasdone real well on the 5-20 that is speced on the cap. My 99 specs 5-30 so 5-30 is the lighest I will go.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
There isn't a single thing wrong with 5w-20, especially in an application like the 4.6L V8.

I've run many different weights, 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40 and 15w-40. The engine ran pretty much the same on all of them, but certain oils did cause fuel economy penalties. If you do not have leaks or consumption, there isn't a single reason I can think of to use anything but a 5w-20.

Best answer.

I think the 4.6 modular engine brings speculation its "sounds better with this weight" type of thinking more than any other engine.

Where is the proof?

If you went by sound alone people would trade in their Ducati motorcycles as soon as it rolls of the showroom floor. They are the noisiest falling apart sounding bikes in the world. -Yet they hold up to red-line all day, everyday punishment in 90 degree heat.
I've owned two and tracked and everyday commutes. Sounds like junk but NEVER a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back