2011 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMC

A buddy of mine just bought a Ford F350 Super Duty with the 6.2L, this is the gas engine.

The owners manual says 5W20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, 7500 miles, severe use 5000 miles, he just can't grasp the use of 5W20 for this heavy duty truck and the interval. Heck, he just can't grasp 5W20 at all!

Just goes to show how good the 20 weight must be, and the Motorcraft SynBlend, Ford is confident.

If it says 5w20, he should use it. Also Motorcraft oil it a good oil at a awesome price.. I think For ran test after test and thats why they recommend it. it's a fine oil.

For the older 5.4 triton engines they used 5w20 strictly for CAFE reasons. Now I heard that supposedly they did change the engine and design it to run on 5w20 on the newer models like 08 and up. Now for this 6.2 since I do believe that it is a new engine I think they probably designed it to run on 5w20 from the get go. These newer engines are built tighter and have smaller oil galleries so you have to be careful using a thicker oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
For the older 5.4 triton engines they used 5w20 strictly for CAFE reasons. Now I heard that supposedly they did change the engine and design it to run on 5w20 on the newer models like 08 and up. Now for this 6.2 since I do believe that it is a new engine I think they probably designed it to run on 5w20 from the get go. These newer engines are built tighter and have smaller oil galleries so you have to be careful using a thicker oil.

It does have VVT, and something that puzzled me, two spark plugs per cyl, one down the top of the engine, the other going into the head from the side, between exhaust manifold,both plugs fire at the same time off of the individual coil for that cyl, how could igniting compressed air/fuel mix at two different places in the combustion chamber, not cause detonation ?

Motorcraft 5-20 is fine oil. I have had the pleasure of wrenching on a couple of 6.2s and they are impressive. I persoanlly would run the MC 5-30 that is spec for the ecoboost. In all of my years I have really not seen slight oil thickness changes hurt VVT performance or fuel economy. 6.2 is a great engine

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a Raptor with 6.2 and calls for 5W-30. I will not swear to it, but I thought I saw that on the cap. Once again, this should be verified because I am not sure. I would think 5W-20 should serve well if that is what they call for. Even though the 6.2 is low tech in comparison to the V6's & the 5.0, it is a very low friction engine. My guess is with all the roller stuff in there it probably doesn't shear oil a bunch. I would run 5W-20.

He can use 5w20 or 5w30. 5w20 is fine though, many people get lots of miles w/ this grade.

My brother's '01 F150 w/ the 5.4 was sold at 200K. Most of those miles were with 5w20 and typically long OCI's to boot.

BTW, it's a great engine from what I've heard so far.

I personally know people who can't grasp 5W-anything!

I would recommend telling your buddy to try the 5w20, at least at first. If later on, switching to a 5w-30 helps him sleep at night, it should be ok.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
A friend of mine has a Raptor with 6.2 and calls for 5W-30. I will not swear to it, but I thought I saw that on the cap. Once again, this should be verified because I am not sure. I would think 5W-20 should serve well if that is what they call for. Even though the 6.2 is low tech in comparison to the V6's & the 5.0, it is a very low friction engine. My guess is with all the roller stuff in there it probably doesn't shear oil a bunch. I would run 5W-20.

Raptor calls for 5w20 on our charts.

I heard the newer Ford V8's were running 180*F t-stats(someone on here with Ford insider connections?). If that's the case, your buddy would be running a 30 weight at operating temp with a 5W20.

Even so, I ran 5W20 Napa conv. (with an extra qt of 5W30 QS-TP thrown in to make 6 qts) in my '03 5.4L towing my Jeep across the US with zero issues or weird noises.

Ford did their homework. If I had a new 6.2L, I'd run 5W20 without worry!

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I heard the newer Ford V8's were running 180*F t-stats(someone on here with Ford insider connections?). If that's the case, your buddy would be running a 30 weight at operating temp with a 5W20.

Even so, I ran 5W20 Napa conv. (with an extra qt of 5W30 QS-TP thrown in to make 6 qts) in my '03 5.4L towing my Jeep across the US with zero issues or weird noises.

Ford did their homework. If I had a new 6.2L, I'd run 5W20 without worry!

Interesting thought !

This is copied from FoMoCo 2011 F350 service manual

Thermostat Opening Temperatures

Starts to open — 6.2L 88°-92°C (190.4°-197.6°F)
Fully open — 6.2L 104°C (219°F)

Operating temp of the Superduty 6.2 is 220. I do believe this is warmer then the raptor 6.2 but am not positive. Thermostat opens at roughly 190. You will never see a perfect thermostat

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Operating temp of the Superduty 6.2 is 220. I do believe this is warmer then the raptor 6.2 but am not positive. Thermostat opens at roughly 190. You will never see a perfect thermostat

2011 F150 Service Manual 6.2L Raptor

Thermostat Opening Temperatures — 6.2L (2V)

Starts to open 88-92°C (190.4-197.6°F)

Fully open 104°C (219.2°F)

Originally Posted By: FMC

Just goes to show how good the 20 weight must be, and the Motorcraft SynBlend, Ford is confident.

I have a Ford Freestyle with a 3.0 engine. I travel down South to Charleston SC a few times a year. We normally move 6 people or 5 people and a dog. I use a roof top carrier for the luggage. We average just under 80 mph and the engine is working HARD trust me. I use 5w 20 PP, Motorcraft full synthetic or Kendall full syn. And she seems no worse for the wear! I use the Motorcraft 5w 20 blend when I get back and remove the roof bubble... she's on vacation then :)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Michael_P

Raptor calls for 5w20 on our charts.

Cap says 5w20

0908or_11_z+ford_raptor_svt+engine.jpg

Thanks bd & silver. Now when I win the lottery, I will know what to run in my Raptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back