2005 Mazda 6 2.3 (is T-IV ok to use)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to search, but couldn't find anything.
I have to change the trans fluid in my friends 2005 Mazda 6 i 2.3
I thought I had read that it can use Toyota T-IV as it is a Asian Warner
JWS 3309 compatible transmission ??
I ask as I have GALLONS of Toyota branded T-IV fluid as my dad is a Toyota Tech. I also have 4 quarts of Maxlife ATF.

Any thoughts ?
Thanks,
Justin

All the 2005 Mazda6i's (2.3) I've ever seen have had JATCO 5-speed automatics and specify Mazda M-V (which is allegedly different than MerconV)

The 2005 Mazda6S (3.0) uses the Aisin 6speed and will have "AW01 Toyota T-IV" stamped on the dipstick

I think Castrol Multi Vehicle Import ATF and Redline D4 meet the Mazda M-V spec

The good thing is that on a Mazda6, the gear position indicator stays on whether you are in manual mode or not so it's not difficult to tell if you have a 5 or 6 speed automatic.

I believe the spec for your M6 is for Mazda MV ATF. ( This is NOT Mercom V) Pick it up at your Mazda dealer, or, as an alternate Ford sells it under P/N XT9-QMM5 @ $8.68 list/qt. FWIW--Oldtommy PS---The clutch composition was spec by Mazda. Therefore the need for atf other than T-IV.

Ok so T-IV is only ok for the V6 model.
So next question, will the valvoline maxlife atf work, I have 4 quarts of this available, but it is not in front of me. I believe it is compatible with Mazda M-V (Not to be confused with Mercon V)

Valvoline Max Life ATF does not specify Mazda M-V on the back label
21.gif

Read the manual and/or check the markings on the tranny dipstick to be sure whether your vehicle is spec'd for T-IV (aka JWS-3309) or MV (which is NOT Mercon V).

2005 Mazda 6i 2.3L is 4-speed not 5-speed. It is speced for Mazda MV. If you do not use Mazda MV fluids from the dealership, please at the very least use something that says compatible with Mazda MV on the back of the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back