By-Pass Kit Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First will you put the miles on your truck to warrant the use of a bypass filter setup? For most people a bypass setup isn't warranted. Then see what one of our Amsoil site sponsers can for you. The Amsoil Bypass setup is nice.

SteveS...It sounds like you think the Amsoil single by-pass set up is a better kit than this one. Why is that?

You can put together a nice DIY kit for roughly 120.00. Depending on how you decide to do the lines. Braided, hydralic, rubber, pushloc ECT.Heres the kicker...replacement filters are 9.00 instead of 30.00. Plumbing a 7.3 is very simple via the plugs directly above the oil pan on the drivers side. Where I usually mount them requires a total of 86in of line. I like the pushloc hose as I can get 2 different colors. 1 supply and 1 return and it's high quality last forever.

You can either get AN fitting for the block ports or just use barbed fitting with clamps. The ports are 1/4NPT.

My last one i did for a customer I used AN fittings and it came out really nice, but they do add to the cost of barbed fitting

Last edited:
Baldwin

We usually will use the baldwin B164 as the bypass and either A CAT High Effiency or Stratapore full flow. The CAT filter is very nice and much larger then factory FL1995 or equivilant

Originally Posted By: Griz95
SteveS...It sounds like you think the Amsoil single by-pass set up is a better kit than this one. Why is that?
That link looks like an Amsoil Bypass kit to me . What is nice about an Amsoil single kit is it is a pretty much complete brand specific kit that is easy/quick to install.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Baldwin

We usually will use the baldwin B164 as the bypass and either A CAT High Effiency or Stratapore full flow. The CAT filter is very nice and much larger then factory FL1995 or equivilant
Isn't the B164 the bypass filters that forkliftsand other industrial engines use? Those were used before full flow filters were installed on engines. IMO not a good choice due to their filtering ability.

Yes they used an Amsoil by-pass filter with their own hoses, filter base and mounting bracket. Not a bad design but not sure if it would be smarter to just purchase the Amsoil single by pass kit.

I bought that kit a couple of year ago for my 02 Excursion 7.3PSD. It works as advertised. I bought it because I did not want to do the leg work of measuring hoses, buying adapters, making a mount bracket, etc.

The oilgaurd system is nice. I run an FS2500.

If your going to spend the money Cartridge bypass systems are superior in filtering and capacity over spinon systems. I think maybe some added research is in order

I would also add a pre pump fuel filter

Originally Posted By: Griz95
Would you buy the same kit again? Have you been happy with it?

I couldn't find anything wrong with it and would buy the kit again. It was the easiest kit to install and no thinking or planning involved on my part. The filter is easy to get from any Amsoil dealers and changing it takes less time than smoking a cigarette.

There isn't much difference in the UOA with or without a bypass filter except maybe the total solids . but it you can get paticle count or pqi [not exactly sure on the name the uoa company can help] will show the improvement.

Better late than never?

I pieced this $100 system together myself. It is on a motorhome with an 11 ltr Cummins w/10 gal oil sump.

http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/d...ilter%20System/

I use a CarQuest#89750 remote bypass filter mount(equivalent to a Wix 24750). The oil source is from a tee fitting that I installed at the oil pressure sender. The oil returns to a fitting I installed in one of the un-used oil pan pipe plugs. This mount comes with a .100" return restriction size in it. You'll probably need to reduce the restriction size for the 7.3 ltr? I used 1/4" id rubber hyd hose w/various brass fittings to plumb the remote bypass filter mount. The bypass filter I'm using is a Fleetguard LF3542. Baldwin B7577 or Wix 51749 will work too.

Smokefan1977, I'm about to piece together a remote bypass system for my 2001 E-350 V-10. I was planning on using a PermaCool 1221 mount and a Trans-Dapt Performance Products 1027 - Trans-Dapt Performance Spin-On Oil Filter Bypass Adapter at the factory FF filter location.

I would like to use the Baldwin B164 as the bypass, and then a good FF filter. The mount uses standard 3/4-16 threads, but the B164 needs a 5/8-18 nipple.

Is there an adapter available? (I've looked, but not found any) Any way I can make this work?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

Thank you,

-Asher

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
The oilgaurd system is nice. I run an FS2500.

If your going to spend the money Cartridge bypass systems are superior in filtering and capacity over spinon systems. I think maybe some added research is in order

I would also add a pre pump fuel filter

I would say cartridge bypass filters are NOT the way to go, they are much more expensive than spin-on (referencing AMSOIL) and they have on par filtering efficiency (~2 micron ABSOLUTE 98.7%, and 1 micron nominal (50%)). The FS2500 are recommended to be changed every 10,000miles and hold a GALLON of oil... why would you want to waste money changing out the filter cartridge 3 TIMES as often, and using twice as much oil each time, some quick math.

AMSOIL bypass filter: ~$40 for 30,000miles (guaranteed) replace 1/2 gallon of oil (for BP-110 bypass filter)

FS2500 bypass filter: ~$40 for a cartridge every 10,000miles (recommended) replace 1 gallon of oil

Why would you want to use a setup that have a life cycle cost of 3 times, plus the make up oil when a element change is done.

When it comes to bypass filtration, you can't beat Amsoil... that's why I went that route with my car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back