Oil for 2005 Mercedes e320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a cousin who live in Reno, Nevada. He just purchased a 2005 Mercedes e320. He knows nothing about maintenance and went to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. They charged him 80 dollars for an oil change. I told him it was to much and that we would be better off doing his own oil changes. Curious what you guys think a good oil and weight would be for this car? He drives about mostly city. Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
It requires MB 229.5 oil which is full synthetic. M1 0W40 is one of the oils in that list, E320 needs 8.5 quarts and a fleece cartridge oil filter, usually Mann or Mahle or Hengst or Bosch, and can be expensive at more than $15. $80 for 8.5 quarts M1 and a fleece oil filter is not expensive, my dealer (Fletcher Jons) charges $250.

Yes, you can save some $ if you buy oil on sale and buy filters online. Since the engine is design to siphon the oil via dipstick tube, if you have a fluid extractor such as Mityvac 7201 you can do an oil change in a MB with getting under the car, because the cartridge oil filter is on top of the engine. You need the cap wrench to remove the filter holder. I can do an oil and filter change in my E430 in less than 20 minutes with dress cloth on and not a drop of oil on the floor or on my cloth.

Last edited:
Nothing but Mobil 1 OW40 for this newer model Mercedes. Get factory filters and you will have trouble free service. Change the air filter and cabin filters too. Those two items will cost bank if you have others do it.

Should be a ton of Walmarts in Reno area too.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Should he stick with 0w-40 year round or use different oils depending on the summer and winters

Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA
Thanks everyone for the replies. Should he stick with 0w-40 year round or use different oils depending on the summer and winters

M1 0w40 year-round
banana2.gif

Hi,
The Mercedes List allows various viscosities for this engine. The average OCI in OZ for MB engines is around 17kkms (11k miles) using M1 0W-40

They (Daimler AG) are investigating various low viscosity lubricants for future use

Mobil 1 0w40 plus a German filter. I always use Mercedes OE since they don't cost anymore.

Also your going to need the Mercedes oil filter wrench for the plastic cap, its $30 at the dealer. Do not over tighten that plastic cap or it will crack, I wouldn't be surprised if Jiffy Lube already cracked it. Luckily they are cheap to replace I think like $10 or $12.

The M112 takes 8.5 quarts so doing it yourself is going to run about $60.

Tell him to change it once a year or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

Quote:
I remember discussion years ago on this forum and the Mercedes forum where 0W-40 is a one-size-fits-all oil for ease of inventory for the dealership. Though a good oil, it shears down quickly, and sometimes 5W-40 can be as good or better for the application. In fact, I believe Mercedes was even allowing their dealers to use 5W-40 instead of 0W-40.

They use 5w40 for the diesels. When I had my diesel Mercedes they always cut me a killer deal at the parts counter for Mobil Delvac 1 5w40, $19 a gallon!

I *think* they might be using another Mobil 5w40 now in some of the more recent cars, but I'm not sure.

The OP's car has an M112 V6 which was designed in the mid 90's as part of their modular motors and was built to run on 0w40. It replaced the M104 I6 in 1998 in this country and 1997 in Europe. It was phased in with FSS when Mercedes was getting into longer service intervals.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Mobil 1 0w40 plus a German filter. I always use Mercedes OE since they don't cost anymore.

Also your going to need the Mercedes oil filter wrench for the plastic cap, its $30 at the dealer. Do not over tighten that plastic cap or it will crack, I wouldn't be surprised if Jiffy Lube already cracked it. Luckily they are cheap to replace I think like $10 or $12.

The M112 takes 8.5 quarts so doing it yourself is going to run about $60.

Tell him to change it once a year or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

I bought a Lisle cap wrench model# 54760 74/76 mm 14 flutes for my E430, it fits perfectly. Any auto parts store has it for around $5-6 or less, no need to pay $30 for a MB cap wrench.

On the other hand, the oil filter housing/holder is expensive at more than $30.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2005/mercedes/e320/engine_mechanical/oil_filter_housing.html

My friend and I bought one and share it, it fits all the Mercedes and is pretty so what the heck.

As for the plastic don't crack it. My friend made the mistake of cracking his in his G500 once, never did that again. Although I don't think he paid $40 he bought it from the dealer, but he gets good pricing from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back