2005 Acura MDX 70,000 mile review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, it's not quite 70,000 miles, but within shouting distance of it (about 800 miles shy). My parents bought this car new in 2005 and we bought it from them in November. It had 56k miles in November and we've put close to 14k miles on it in the 8 months since. We bought this because of a rather unreliable minivan we had previously. The MDX has a 3rd row of seating. And while not as large inside as our previous minivan, it's nearly as functional. And despite much more powerful engine, larger tires, AWD, and heavier mass, the fuel economy is about the same. Though to be fair, this one does use premium fuel.

The ride and handling on this far exceed those of our minivan. The MDX rides better and handles far better. The chassis is very playful and with the shorter wheelbase, it feels like the rear tires really are part of the team, rather than being drug around as it felt in the van. I think the ride and handling balance that Acura struck with this is as close to perfect as it gets. This is the previous generation MDX (2001-2006), and is based on the Honda Pilot, though the MDX has some additional chassis bracing and gusseting compared with the Pilot.

It also has a more powerful engine (though both engines are 3.5L J-series engines). In a word, this engine is fantastic. The powertrain smoothless is top-notch. The 5-speed automatic is flawless, much better than the 4-speed we came from. This transmission is the only one I've driven that actually performs as its "Grade Logic Control" advertising would have you believe. We just got off a 1,200 mile trip to Pittsburgh and back, and this thing was a dream on the mountains of I-77 and I-79 in West Virginia. Even on a 6% grade, the engine had plenty of power in reserve. Just push the right pedal down and you've got a much larger shove in the back than you'd think an engine of only 3.5L could provide. We did the same trip in our van last year, and there is simply no comparison in the "satisfaction" of the drive, if that makes any sense.

I'm happy with the fuel economy this car gives, if still on premium fuel. The original estimate is 17/23, with revised estimates of 15/21. We average closer to the original estimate with it. Over the 1,200 miles, we averaged 20.1 mpg, which I'm very happy with.

Although this vehicle has some complexity to it (tons of electronics in the AWD system, and a lot of stuff inside like navigation and DVD video), nothing's broken. Nothing. This is another welcome change from our old ride. I will give it a major service at 70k miles here in another few weeks, including an oil change, ATF change, coolant change, and VTM fluid change. And rotate the tires. Although not a review of them specifically, I couldn't be happier with the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires we have on it. They give a large "beefy" feel to the drive. They handle fast mountain curves extremely well, and their grip on the snow (though obviously aided by the AWD system) is tenacious. Acura and Michelin got this tire RIGHT.

I don't have any real complaints about this car. I do think Acura could have done some things smarter. For instance, it has a photo sensor for the automatic headlamps. But the day/night mode on the navigation system isn't tied to that; it's tied to the headlamp operation. So if you have the navigation system in AUTO mode, and turn on the headlamps on a light day (because of rain for example), the navigation screen dims out. For that reason, we simply have the screen on DAY mode, and only turn it to NIGHT mode if we're out at night (which isn't common). It would have been just as easy for Acura to tie that input to the photo sensor instead of the headlamp circuit itself.

But really, this is an excellent family vehicle. There has not yet been a situation where we would have "needed" the van's extra room, though we make use of this Acura's 3rd row regularly. And we've taken the MDX to places where the van could never have gone (like into the woods for picnics at the lake, and pictured below on one such outing). The ground clearance and grabbier tires on the MDX simply provide capability the van doesn't have, and we use that capability more than we thought we would when we bought it (which has been a fun surprise).

IMG_5848.JPG

I really like my moms Pilot. We drove it down to NC last weekend. The ride is a little too stiff (I like a "cadillac" ride), but the engine and drivetrain are great. She has about 75K miles on it and has had zero problems. Of course none of the cars I maintain ever do :)

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
This transmission is the only one I've driven that actually performs as its "Grade Logic Control" advertising would have you believe.

I guess I should explain this; I realized I never did.

In previous vehicles, even those described as having "intelligent" transmissions, the transmission would downshift when more power was needed, but would upshift again as soon as it could. If it was a long grade, it'd downshift back again, requiring me to intervene (with the transmission shift selector).

This one is flawless. If it downshifts, it'll keep that lower gear for the entire hill. Sometimes I'm sitting there expecting an upshift that doesn't come, only because that's how previous vehicles have trained me. This one holds the correct gear all the way up and will only upshift once its sure the hill is done. It got it right every time; I never had to touch the shift selector.

This is transmission programming done right in my opinion.

Isn't the drive train pretty much identical with the corresponding van? Are MDX transmission beefed up? Otherwise, it is not if but when it will give up. Almost all Odysseys with over 120K are either with a rebuilt transmission or on the verge of grenading. I don't follow MDX or Pilot forums so I do not know if they suffer the same fate.

The 2004+ transmissions have a 3-shaft transmission vs. a 2-shaft transmission that the earlier ones had. I'm unaware of any widespread problems with the 2004+ transmissions. Even still, I don't think the Odyssey got the MDX transmission until 2007. I think the MDX's unit is a little different (and apparently for the better) than even the Odyssey's unit from 2004-2006.

A good friend's wife has a 2004 Odyssey with 130k miles, with no signs of transmission issues. My supervisor's wife has a 2003 TL with 160k miles on it with no transmission issues either. I'm confident in the longevity.

Hokie,
I beg to differ, HONDA oddy trans are pure junk. My step mom has an 07/08 touring and it is fixing to grenade #2. My little brother's scout troupe leader has an 07 that took a [censored] on a trip 900 miles from their house. I hardly call them reliable. Both vans have around 60k and dealer serviced.

I say the rest of the van is nice, but with the trans problems you couldn't GIVE me a Honda unless it was a manual.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go to say Honda Oddy transmission is junk (in the newer generations atleast). Honda learned from their mistakes and got it right, unlike many other manufactures that keep getting it wrong and often times make it worse.

The MDX has a good transmission, no worries there. Just be sure to change the transmission fluid when needed, especially since you have AWD.

My uncle owns a auto shop and I've spoken to him about the transmission's on MDX's before as one of my close friends was buying one. My uncle assured me these transmissions are well built and don't suffer from so to speak "weak" parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Hokie,
I beg to differ, HONDA oddy trans are pure junk.

I hear this pretty frequently parroted on this forum, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence to support it (note: my friend's brother's uncle's car blew up really isn't evidence). I'll go with the evidence:

2wd92bs.jpg

I love your car--if it were in my budget when I was car shopping, I'd probably own one. Unfortunately, when I was car shopping the '03's (with the disposable trannies) were, but the '05's we more than I wanted to spend.

One question about the 'grade logic control'; do you have any idea how they accomplish that? Is grade determined by engine parameters or is there some sort of grade sensor/altimeter sensor sending the info to the transmission? just curious.

I can vouch for Honda's grade logic. My 2007 Civic was VERY smart about downshifting and upshifting.

When going downhill the Civic would be in top gear UNTIL you stepped on the brake. It would smoothly downshift and stay in that gear UNTIL you stepped on the gas. Knowing what you wanted it would hold that gear THEN upshift, or upshift and continue to accelerate. Once I got familiar with the shift behavior it was very predictable. It never interferred either. If you're going downhill and never step on the brake it never downshifted.

Going uphill it was still a little stubborn in wanting to save gas. It tended to upshift early, even if the motor was lugging in low RPM to maintain speed. You'd have to give it >60% throttle before it would consider downshifting for power.

There is a tilt sensor that feeds data. It's pretty genius. The only thing I disliked about the Civics tranny was when slowing to a stop, then accelerating. It doesn't shift into 1st unless you're at a dead stop. So if you come to a intersection and almost stop you're going to lug away in 2nd. If you gave it gas you'd get a half second of hesitation then a jerky downshift into 1st. I think because the ratio delta between 1st and 2nd was tuned for MPG. There was more than one occasion I mashed the gas out of frustration.

That graph is definitely not accurate. The dodge caravan has a terrible transmission, my van is on it's 4th tranny. A caravan is considered lucky to get past 50k on the 41te original tranny.

Also, the Sienna's tranny is good. It has no known issues, that are widespread. So the graph is also wrong for the Sienna.

Both my RX's are great with the ECU downshifting and upshifting at correct times as well. NO gear hunting, and like you said once the steep grade is overcome the trans will upshift but till then it won't.

That graph is a JOKE!!! I know 3 people with new(er) odys and 2 have had trans failures... I feel the 3rd person is on borrowed time, which he called [censored] as well until I united him with the other 2 people. He is scared [censored], he still owe a large amount on his van.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Hokie,

I hear this pretty frequently parroted on this forum, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence to support it (note: my friend's brother's uncle's car blew up really isn't evidence). I'll go with the evidence:

2wd92bs.jpg

Chrysler makes a reliable trans in their minivans?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: JOD
Hokie,

2wd92bs.jpg

Chrysler makes a reliable trans in their minivans?
lol.gif

'

Haha, that's what I was thinking… they have got to be the WORST… LoL

Didn't Chrysler trans problems end in 2000? The graph starts at 2001.

Is it possible that 2005+ Odyssey have lot less transmission problems that the previous generation?

We are in the market to replace our minivan and would like a vehicle with three rows of seating. I am little reluctant on another (newer) Odyssey because of the latent transmission issue.

By the way, when Odyssey transmission blows up, it blows up spectacularly with no warning with spewing tranny fluid all over New Jersey Turnpike. We got less than second of tranny slipping before smoke started coming out. Everything was fine on mile marker 20. On mile marker 19, we were on the side of the road with hood opened. There was literally no sign of any problems with this transmission which was rebuilt less than two years and about 27K miles ago. The rebuilt was needed because of a different issue.

Last edited:
we have friends with an 08 odyssey that had the torque convertor "judder". they got the convertor replaced under warranty per tsb and the trans failed 4 months later. the driver has a heavy foot but with only 80,000 miles he might have let the "judder" go on for too long? i here 09,10,11,12 models are more reliable. i guess they solved the "juddering problem". which would explain the better experiences.

Chrysler transmission's still suck to date. They can't even make a good 4 speed transmission what makes them think they can make a good 6 speed. Their engineers need to go to school again, or do some extensive research before redesigning.

The newer Odyssey's definitely have a lot less transmission problems, this graph is not accurate at all.

A heavy foot should not have a trans fail..It is poorly designed. PERIOD
Disclaimer: Up until the most recent redesign I think 2012?? which that data is to new to base anything off of. Before the redesign they were [censored]..

Glad this thread stayed on topic...

To the question about the Grade Logic Control. I'm not sure how it's done, and I don't know if there is a physical altitude/attitude sensor. I think it just senses load through the throttle pedal, and has intelligent programming in the control module. Say you're on a grade and it's downshifted into 4th. Even if you jump off the throttle and back on, it'll stay in the lower gear while other transmissions will upshift as soon as it sees the lower throttle requirement for even just an instant. I think it's just a very simple trade-off between performance and fuel economy. Honda's transmission logic will hold a lower gear longer, and apparently waits to see a reduced throttle opening for a more prolonged period of time.

It'll also aggressively downshift if you apply the brake at speed, to help slow you down. If we're rolling down a hill at 75 mph in 5th gear, with zero throttle, it'll continue to roll down in 5th gear with no adjustments. But if I drag the brake for 3-5 seconds or so, it'll downshift into 4th to help me slow down. And if I let off the brake, it'll keep that lower gear until I pick back up with the throttle. Again, I'm sure there's a fuel economy penalty, but I really appreciate how this is programmed compared with other cars I've owned.

IIRC, the 2005 and 2006 Odyssey were the three shaft design. The 2008 on went to the four shaft used in the Ridgeline. The newest model I have no idea.

The 1999-2001 (four speed) are more prone to failure than the 2002-2004 (five speed).

But anyway, this is an MDX thread...how the heck did the Odyssey come into it...?

OP, nice ride. I always liked the MDX.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back