CASTROL RACING 4T VS MOBILE 1 RACING 4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I just purchased a new 2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring bike. 2300CC inline three cylinder engine. The transmission, clutch and engine share the same oil. I have always used M1 Racing 4T in my Honda ST1300 and M1 V-Twin in my Harley. The dealer service manager is trying to tell me Castrol Power R5 Racing 4T 10-50 is a better oil and recommended by Triumph. Anyone seen the tests on these oils? Any impute on which one is better? I've always been a Mobile One user and will change if Castrol is a better product, but I think I'm being sold a bill of goods here.

Also, anyone know what M1 oil filter will cross with a Triumph filter P/N T1210444?

I would use the Mobil-1. I know little to nothing about the Castrol offerings, but I know M1 is a great product. "Recommended by triumph" to me, tells me he sells it and wants you to buy from him. A kawasaki dealer once told me the ONLY oil that would keep my bike from wearing out was kawasaki oil. I laughed.

The Mobil1 M1-110 or Pureone PL14610 filter will fit the Rocket.

Yea like Harley used to say not to use synthetic oil until they came out with their own Harley brand of semi synthetic oil. Then its okay. I even had a Harley tech tell me one time synthetic oil was too slippery and it would cause the roller rod bearings to slip on the crank shaft instead of rolling. I looked at him and almost said, do I look that stupid? NO OIL is that slippery! I think Harley uses mind control on their dealers and their employees!

Last edited:
Harley uses mind control over their entire customer base. I would bet HD customers are more brand loyal than anything else on earth.

Enjoy your bike, you already know what oil to use! =P

Just remember to use the right viscosity witht he right API and JASO rating and a motorcycle filter and not a car filter that fits, just to make sure the warranty does not go void if there is a problem.

I just finished reading the new Amsoil white sheet report. Naturally Amsoil was number one in the overall rating, but M1 racing 4T was number two. The Castrol oil was way down the list. Not good stuff. Confirms what I already knew.

I used the M1 P/N 110 oil filter on my HOnda ST1300 with no problems. I would guess it should work on the new R3 also. But before I use it, I want to make sure the by pass valve settings are the same. Ah more research. Actually I have no problem using Triumph oil filters, I'm sure they are just fine, but if the M1 will work I can buy it at the same store I buy my oil at. Much easier than having the dealer ship it to me. They are 140 miles away from me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Just remember to use the right viscosity witht he right API and JASO rating and a motorcycle filter and not a car filter that fits, just to make sure the warranty does not go void if there is a problem.

What specifically is the difference between a "motorcycle" oil filter and a "car" oil filter?

Mike

Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

What specifically is the difference between a "motorcycle" oil filter and a "car" oil filter?

Mike

The validity of your warranty....and on Suzuki's they use a whole different thread pattern. Usually the moto filters may flow better and have different bypass specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back