Forum vote for the best fully synthetic motor oil on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I might be eating my words down the road if M1 doesn't do the job as well as I think.
confused.gif

Patman, somehow I used your name in a post above but I directed it to the wrong person. Sorry about that.

Please stop knocking Royal Purple so hard.

I think we have insufficient oil analysis submissions to make a valid vice-versa statement.

As one mechanic friend put it to me:

"The worst synthetic (group III+, PAO, etc)is always better than the best standard oil"

Food for thought. Indeed Patnam's recent analysis was everything but commendable. Then again a harsh salty Ontario winter will do a number on any car.

In reference to the rhetorical use of the wrecked car icon that one individual used her against Royal Purple. I personally do not think it is fair.

To answer the string

Redline
Mobil 1
Amsoil
Shaeffers
Royal Purple

Are the tops out there. Assuming a well maintained engine adhered to mananfacturer recomendations ANY of these oils will result in a clean well, long lived and well performing engine.

Again that is my honest opinion welcome to be shot down by anyone here
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
I think we have insufficient oil analysis submissions to make a valid vice-versa statement.

I do agree that we need more data, but at the same time, out of the UOAs we have seen on this oil, not a single one of them stands out as being an "awesome report". But yet RP would lead you to believe their oil is the best oil out there.

quote:

As one mechanic friend put it to me:

"The worst synthetic (group III+, PAO, etc)is always better than the best standard oil"

I don't believe this to be true at all. The best standard oil, IMO would have to be Schaeffer's full mineral oil, and it is definitely better than many synthetics sold on the market today, including Royal Purple.

quote:

Food for thought. Indeed Patnam's recent analysis was everything but commendable. Then again a harsh salty Ontario winter will do a number on any car.

My sister's car and my car both went through this winter too, and neither of our oils thinned out whatsoever. My TBN was low and iron was high, but I also have an engine that takes a long time to warm up and the car was parked outside. My wife's car is parked inside and it warms up considerably faster than mine. So her oil really wasn't subjected to the winter like mine and my sister's car's oils were.

Like I mentioned here recently, my new plan is to go back to my old plan with Royal Purple, and that is to run this batch out to about 5k (which will be in the fall) So this oil will see no extreme cold at all, in other words perfect conditions. I won't be satisfied with the results if I don't see 9ppm or less with the iron, lead, copper and aluminum. I don't think this is unreasonable for this engine, it came very close to that on the 5k run with the old SJ formula of Mobil 1 last year, the wear metals were:

Iron-9
Lead-11
Copper-3
Aluminum-2

If Royal Purple is as good as they say, then it should easily be able to beat Mobil 1's 4 year old SJ TriSynthetic formulation. FWIW, that 5w30 M1 in my wife's car had a viscosity of 10.2 and a TBN of 9, so it's not like my wife's engine or driving habits are particularily hard on the oil.

Thanks to all of you for your opinons!!!
it is always refreshing to post a question like this on this board and get back a good discussion and not a flame war. Believe me, on other forums, a question like this would have burned down every single hosting server and the data center. Not here. People are very, very mature. Thank you again and please keep posting your thoughts, opinons and information...........
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Simplest answer is that we don't know . . . yet.

As others indicate, some UOAs are decently representive to a point, others barely, others still not at all of the various brands in various engines under various uses.

An SEFI-engined 2003 Honda is a lot different than a 3.73-geared, 390-2V, 4WD 1972 Ford pickup. As is their intended use.

As with German Syntec, NEO and Motul, I'm looking forward to seeing Lubrication Engineers UOA's as well. On modern and not so modern cars. In a variety of uses.

The database needs to be a lot larger, first.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=000934

quote:

I would suggest that any API licensed oil is not a candidate for "Best Oil".

I see your logic, but UOA doesn't show that. M1 being API certified, is as good as Amsoil or Reldine from what I see. Where does everyone see where these others are better? I just don't see it.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
I would suggest that any API licensed oil is not a candidate for "Best Oil".

Yeah...that makes a lot of sense.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

The never ending process....10yrs from now we will be testing 0w-5 oils. (I hope not)

Nah....by that time we'll be blasting the new -20SW-0 oils...(SW=Siberian Winter)....and how they couldn't possibly protect as good as the -5SW-1 oils...
lol.gif

Of course for Arizona Summers: 0W-0.5.......
pat.gif
Nice and thick!!

And by then, we will also be complaning about Fram's plain metal endcaps versus the others' Titanium-alloy encaps........
mad.gif

Fight the Future!!
shocked.gif

Oh, BTW.....what exactly do we mean by "best?"

Are we talking engine wear #'s, extended intervals, staying in grade, price...?

All of the above?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by turbochem:

quote:

The never ending process....10yrs from now we will be testing 0w-5 oils. (I hope not)

Nah....by that time we'll be blasting the new -20SW-0 oils...(SW=Siberian Winter)....and how they couldn't possibly protect as good as the -5SW-1 oils...
lol.gif

Of course for Arizona Summers: 0W-0.5.......
pat.gif
Nice and thick!!

And by then, we will also be complaning about Fram's plain metal endcaps versus the others' Titanium-alloy encaps........
mad.gif

Fight the Future!!
shocked.gif

Gee, thanks for making me laugh out a full mouth full of foamy beer all over the freakin computer screen!
gr_stretch.gif
cheers.gif

And by the time we figure it out, all the oils will have been reformulated for the next API designation, so we get to start all over again!
tongue.gif

grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by turbochem:
Oh, BTW.....what exactly do we mean by "best?"
Are we talking engine wear #'s, extended intervals, staying in grade, price...?All of the above?
confused.gif

Wear numbers for me but these are engine specific and almost impossible to interpret as each engine is different as are driving conditions. Some oils do better (wear numbers) in some engines then others. Trial and error taylored to individual requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back