Dodge Dakota plenum fix w/ pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i finally decided to take on this project, even though i really didn't know what i was getting myself into. I started on Thursday evening and finished up this evening. (More on that later) For those of you that don't already know what the problem is, i'll explain it. Chrysler used a steel pan on the bottom of the intake manifold, which is made of aluminum. Obviously the two expand and contract at different rates, destroying the gasket in between. The kit that i got to replace this was from Hughes Engines, #7720. I also opted for new intake bolts, as the factory ones are torque-to-yield, and should not be reused. Kit #7700 from the same place contains the neccessary bolts.

The new package contained everything to complete the job, except some various gaskets and hoses i opted to replace since i had everything apart. The replacement pan is 1/4" aluminum.

3390w.jpg

Sooo here we go. Airhat is off.

2824.jpg

Alternator and A/C compressor removed along with the accessory bracket. I also disconnected the throttle body cables so i could swing them out of the way later. I also left the fuel rails intact. Some folks that have done this remove the rails along with the injectors, but it's much easier to just disconnect the main fuel line.

8766.jpg

Now we're cookin! The lifter valley was free of sludge, just had some varnish everywhere. At this point, before anything fell into it, i placed paper towels carefully into the valley to catch any gasket debris and anything else that would make it's way into there. I used a shop vac along with the gasket scraper when i cleaned the surfaces.

0196n.jpg

Here's the manifold, out of the truck.

9443x.jpg

After i got the stock plate off, this is what was inside.

7737.jpg

After cleaning up the mating surface, and the inside of the intake, i installed the new plate.

1514w.jpg

Then after prepping the surfaces of both the manifold and the engine, i was ready to install it. Where the front and back gaskets met the side ones, i dabbed some black rtv to make sure it sealed up good. I didn't opt for any spray gasket whatever, although some people recommend it. I actually stood with one foot on the front bumper and the other on the surface below the windshield, and lowered it into place no problem.

7918.jpg

I then torqued the bolts all to spec in the proper sequence, and started basically putting everything back together. I went ahead and got a new bypass hose, as the old one looked well, old lol.

0192o.jpg

Now, the reason this whole thing took me until today to finish....

2391s.jpg

If you could only imagine the words i said when i broke that bolt, imagine what i said when i BROKE OFF the easy-out inside the bolt. At that point i walked away from it for a couple hours, because i knew there was no drilling through that sucker. I will never use the stupid things again. Long story short, my uncle came over and was able to drill down beside the easy out with a cobalt bit, and use a punch to hammer the thing into little pieces, pushing pieces out through the hole we drilled. Finally we got down to what was left of the bolt, and simply yanked it out with some pliers. There were plenty of threads left so i was relieved.

Finished up with the right stuff.

2689d.jpg

All in all, if that bolt hadn't given me so much grief, this was a fairly easy project. Mainly just time consuming, removing everything and cleaning everything well. My advice to anyone attempting this, if you do break that bolt, drill it out. Starting small and working your way up with bigger bits until you can hammer the bolt out. Easy outs might have their purpose, somewhere, but it wasn't here. The truck runs good now, and im glad it's done.
wink.gif

Looks good, great job on the truck and the pics too. Glad to know you were able to remove that broken bolt. I sure hope I never have to do this job on my Dakota. I have heard and read that the belly pan gasket problem was fixed on some late model 2000 and all subsequent Magnum engines, but I don't know if that is really true.

Looks like you did a very good job on yours. Engine looks good inside too. Thanks for posting the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back