Good, Reasonably priced Torque wrench -0-20 ft/lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a beam-style (think that's how they describe it) 1/2 inch torque wrench which works well for lug nuts etc (which I why I got it). But in working on the old Jag I've found many things that require torquing below 20 foot pounds.

Can someone recommend a good quality torque wrench that functions in the 1-20 ft/lbs range. I guess I'm looking at 3/8 inch. I don't care much about the form (click-over, digital, etc). I would like one that will last but not necessarily break the bank if that's possible.

Harbor Freight +3.
I bought 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches on sale for $9.99 a piece. They seem to work well,no problems yet. The 3/8 goes from 5 to 80 foot pounds.

I gotta dis-agree with the harbor freight option. Might as well toss your money out a window going down the highway. Torque wrenches are not something to cheap out on. It will cost you much more in the long run.

For foot pound vales below 20 or so, I use an inch-pound torque wrench and convert. Inch pounds = foot pounds * 12.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I gotta dis-agree with the harbor freight option. Might as well toss your money out a window going down the highway. Torque wrenches are not something to cheap out on. It will cost you much more in the long run.

Elaborate on just how it will cost more in the long run for the DIY'er. What price point are you suggesting for the occasional user?

Here is a 0 - 600 inch pound which is 50 foot pounds. +/- 7% of reading accuracy.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/64-730.html?utm_source=amazonshopping&utm_medium=feed

Iv'e not had good luck with cheap low torque value clickers. Cheap inch pound torque wrenches sometimes don't click, or it can be difficult to feel it click. This can result in stripped / twisted small fasteners or expensive aluminum engine parts. Most all clickers shouldn't be used below 20% of full scale. If you want inexpensive go with a beam type, if you want to spend $100 - $150 you can get a clicker.

Last edited:
Buy a good, used one from Fleabay or CL.
About 25 years ago I bought a Utica 1/4", but it only goes to 150 in/lbs (about 12 ft/lbs). Works at the top end for torquing valve adjuster locknuts, whereas I would have been at the bottom end of the scale of a 3/8".

Beams are good if you have a lot of space around the fastener.
Digital? I guess you can press a button to switch from ft-lbs to N-m, but for occasional use you'll be feeding it batteries and worrying about them leaking.

I'd love to say Harbor's but it's turned up with too many gripes on inaccuracy and breakage... Wait for a sale at Sears and go for a Craftsman.. likely the best bang for the buck.

Unless you can either calibrate it yourself or have the certificate and actually trust the signer, whether you pay $10 or $200 for the piece of a metal contraption is immaterial.

Learn to calibrate it yourself; it is NOT Rocket Surgery (!)

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
I have a beam-style (think that's how they describe it) 1/2 inch torque wrench which works well for lug nuts etc (which I why I got it). But in working on the old Jag I've found many things that require torquing below 20 foot pounds.

Can someone recommend a good quality torque wrench that functions in the 1-20 ft/lbs range. I guess I'm looking at 3/8 inch. I don't care much about the form (click-over, digital, etc). I would like one that will last but not necessarily break the bank if that's possible.

I will give you a real answer. Buy a cheap clicker either 1/4 inch which will max out at 240 inch-lb or 3/8 which will max out at 80 ft-lb. Heck, buy both, they are cheap if you know where to shop.

You have been using beam style. I guess you trust its accuracy. Let us assume you purchased the 80 ft-lb wrench. Loosen one of your lug nut. Using beam style, tighten it to 40 ft-lb. Set the new 3/8 at 35 ft-lb. See if you can get it to click before turning the lug nut. Now increase the setting to 45 ft-lb. Try again, the nut better turn a little before clicking.

Done, you have just calibrated your new wrench against the old one. DONT FORGET TO TIGHTEN IT BACK TO RECOMMENDED TORQUE!!!

Whether you bought a Snap On for $400 or a Harbor Frieight for $12, if they pass the above test, you can use either.

I am sure there will be some snobs who will come out and thumb their noses at cheaper torque wrench but ignore them. They don't know what they are talking about.

- Vikas

Please explain. I thought my method essentially calibrate one wrench against another. There are better method involving fishing scale or weighing scale and well known length. The objective is to make sure that the torque wrench is within ballpark before relying on it *regardless* of how expensive it is. Somebody may have dropped it on its head on your way and may be completely off the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back