harbor freight warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Never had a hand toolfrom Harbor Freight break or fail on me, course I know how and the correct way to use tools.

*Begin sarcasm*
There is a "correct" way to use Chinese knock-off tools?

I must be spoiled by my good tools that don't require a special procedure.
*End sarcasm*

I broke both the Chinese ratchets in the Stanley "Black Chrome" set my wife bought me within a month. The 3/8ths broke removing some sway bar brackets from a Fox Mustang. The 1/4 broke removing the terminal nut from a starter on a Taurus. Stanley told me there would be a SIX to EIGHT week wait for the replacements. I said screw it and replaced both ratchets with some Snap-On ones. The replacements from Stanley never showed up anyway.

My time is worth something. When I have to stop what I'm doing because the tool couldn't handle the job, then I am being inconvenienced. And I honestly don't think it has anything to do with "the correct way to use tools". If I needed a 3/4" drive Chinese ratchet to remove those sway bar bracket bolts without breaking, then that is just pathetic. As it was, I had to haul out my 1/2" Snap-On (serious overkill for the job) to finish with. And it is from the 1940's.

As I've said on here before, good tools are an investment, and every time I have an experience with cheap tools, it reminds me why I have ponied up the little extra coin to buy good tools; to make that investment. Those made in the US, Canada or Germany. Most of my Snap-On stuff is Canadian, since it is about 40 years older than I am.

I'm not trying to be a "tool snob", which is what I think most of you guys who buy the Chinese stuff think of those of us who always preach about "good tools". I just don't have the time to run around trying to get replacements for something that broke during "typical use". It is very frustrating for me, and I'm sure many others. It is worth more for me to buy something that isn't going to break the first time, than trying to save a few bucks and getting burned by it breaking later during use. Or potentially breaking and hurting myself, or whoever is using it.

To each their own of course. I'm just trying to point out the logic taking place on the other side of the fence.

I was shocked to see that my "recovering" (I really don't know the story) mechanic (was fired but owner gave him his job back) now has the same Stanely black chrome set. He is making his living with that set. I gave him little hard time and chided "what no Snap On" and he said, "this works".

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I was shocked to see that my "recovering" (I really don't know the story) mechanic (was fired but owner gave him his job back) now has the same Stanely black chrome set. He is making his living with that set. I gave him little hard time and chided "what no Snap On" and he said, "this works".

- Vikas

Wait until it breaks on him and he has to wait 8 weeks for the replacement that they don't ship him
grin.gif

Seriously, I was VERY disappointed in that set. Even the cheap Canadian Tire ratchets are more durable than those P's 'O' S.

I still have the set. The sockets have been fine. Just that now the ratchets are Snap-On in the case. Since they were the same pear-head style ratchet, they fit in the Stanley casing without issue.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Never had a hand toolfrom Harbor Freight break or fail on me, course I know how and the correct way to use tools.

*Begin sarcasm*
There is a "correct" way to use Chinese knock-off tools?

I must be spoiled by my good tools that don't require a special procedure.
*End sarcasm*

I broke both the Chinese ratchets in the Stanley "Black Chrome" set my wife bought me within a month. The 3/8ths broke removing some sway bar brackets from a Fox Mustang. The 1/4 broke removing the terminal nut from a starter on a Taurus. Stanley told me there would be a SIX to EIGHT week wait for the replacements. I said screw it and replaced both ratchets with some Snap-On ones. The replacements from Stanley never showed up anyway.

My time is worth something. When I have to stop what I'm doing because the tool couldn't handle the job, then I am being inconvenienced. And I honestly don't think it has anything to do with "the correct way to use tools". If I needed a 3/4" drive Chinese ratchet to remove those sway bar bracket bolts without breaking, then that is just pathetic. As it was, I had to haul out my 1/2" Snap-On (serious overkill for the job) to finish with. And it is from the 1940's.

As I've said on here before, good tools are an investment, and every time I have an experience with cheap tools, it reminds me why I have ponied up the little extra coin to buy good tools; to make that investment. Those made in the US, Canada or Germany. Most of my Snap-On stuff is Canadian, since it is about 40 years older than I am.

I'm not trying to be a "tool snob", which is what I think most of you guys who buy the Chinese stuff think of those of us who always preach about "good tools". I just don't have the time to run around trying to get replacements for something that broke during "typical use". It is very frustrating for me, and I'm sure many others. It is worth more for me to buy something that isn't going to break the first time, than trying to save a few bucks and getting burned by it breaking later during use. Or potentially breaking and hurting myself, or whoever is using it.

To each their own of course. I'm just trying to point out the logic taking place on the other side of the fence.

No I do notthink of you as a "tool snob" but there are different wayes of looking at the use of a tool. How bout the guy who only uses the tool once or twice a year? How bout the 70 year old who more than likely will not use said tool that hard or for very many years. How bout the guy on a fixed income with little to spend on tools, mayhap its better he does without any tool that buy a less expensive one?

Many ways to look at it.

No, but there are/were less expensive options than Snap-On that were still a quality US tool. Craftsman comes to mind. Unfortunately they've fallen victim to "China Syndrome" as well.

I might also add at the age of almost 70 I buy NO tool as an investment.

And as long as H/F warrents the tool against breakage "which I.ve yet to have happen" I consider them good to go.

Remember I'm not making my living with these tools.

And as long as H/F warrents the tool against breakage "which I.ve yet to have happen" I consider them good to go.

For sure, but I do believe you and I have had this discussion before.
grin.gif

Possible, I'm old, remember? My memory isn't what it once was.

Hahahah, fair enough sir, fair enough.

Would somebody be kind enough to ship him couple of HF wrenches, e.g. a composite and a rotating swivel head? Both total only costs under $25! Can we take a collection? I will contribute! It will be worth to see his face once he handles those *lousy* HF tools.

With the M5 in garage, he needs more tools :)

- Vikas

Would somebody be kind enough to ship him couple of HF wrenches, e.g. a composite and a rotating swivel head? Both total only costs under $25! Can we take a collection? I will contribute! It will be worth to see his face once he handles those *lousy* HF tools.

With the M5 in garage, he needs more tools :)

- Vikas

You'd really have to you know, since we don't have Harbour Freight up here
wink.gif

If I break them, do I get to post horror pics?
grin.gif

And yes, with "das auto" in the drive, I'm sure my tool collection will be growing.

> If I break them, do I get to post horror pics?

Only if you put your expensive tool through the same ringer!

Most of us treat our expensive tools lot nicer than the throw away tools and then *duh* complain when they break.

> If I break them, do I get to post horror pics?

Only if you put your expensive tool through the same ringer!

Most of us treat our expensive tools lot nicer than the throw away tools and then *duh* complain when they break.

Not me sir, I will put big bars on my Snap-On stuff without thinking twice.

Since there isn't much time left you will be better off to buy a US made tool for the heirs to sell. HF tools are pretty much worthless at estate sales, snap on etc are grabbed for. I am only five years behind, I buy USA tools whenever possible. I don't care about the ratings pro or con, I care about where it is made. Buying only a few tools what does it matter to save a few pennies.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Since there isn't much time left you will be better off to buy a US made tool for the heirs to sell. HF tools are pretty much worthless at estate sales, snap on etc are grabbed for. I am only five years behind, I buy USA tools whenever possible. I don't care about the ratings pro or con, I care about where it is made. Buying only a few tools what does it matter to save a few pennies.

When you find the Snap-On Tools for just a few more pennies that HF, let me know - I'm backing up the truck. The HF tools are usually 75% or more (often 90% with a coupon) less than Snap-on.

1/2" Snap-on Torque Wrench $294 or $394 depending on model
HF with Coupon $10 (97% savings)

If my tool box was all Snap on, I'd be spending more money taking my car to the guy who buys Snap-on because he makes a living with his tools. Of course Snap-On and Matco may be better tools for the money, but in all things there are trades offs. Most of the time, all that matters is the tool gets the job done. If spending more for a fancy brand name makes you feel warm and fuzzy, more power to you. The mark up on tool trucks has to be high to cover the overhead and the higher salaries of the tool reps.

Besides, I'd rather take the savings and invest it and have more money to leave to the heirs then force them to sell it at a garage sales/estate sale when I'm gone.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

If you honestly think I care what my heirs get for my tools I really don't know what to tell you. With the way the economy is at present estate sales aren't bringing much in. I seriously doubt it will change in the near future.

Now then my gun collection thats WAY into the triple digits, thats a different story. A torque wrench worth $20 to $100 new isn't going to make a knats xxx difference. A custome rifle worth $1000.00 to $3000.00 thats a difference ball game.

Originally Posted By: kasedian
I got a better idea - Don't buy the cheap, chinese, HF [censored], and you won't have to worry about a HF warranty.

Sorry....but their composite ratchets are freaking awesome.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: kasedian
I got a better idea - Don't buy the cheap, chinese, HF [censored], and you won't have to worry about a HF warranty.

Sorry....but their composite ratchets are freaking awesome.

They really are, and their 1/2" drive 25" breaker bar is very good too. If you watch the sales you can grab one for about $10, not bad!

Originally Posted By: ajchien
I've brought back: 3lb cross pein hammer (head loosened from handle), pliers (snapped tips, marred teeth, rubber grips faking off), a screwdriver (snapped tip right off).

Like any other place, it depends on who you get. Sometimes it's been hassle free, other times the employee looked bewildered when you said, "not a return, a warranty exchange" as if they had never heard of a lifetime warranty. Bring your receipt if you still have it, it helps them feel comfortable.

100% agree, there have been many tools i have purchased there just becouse i knew i wasnt going to get my moneys worth out of a higher dollar brand named tool due to lack of specialty tools use (like cement tool) I may never do any cement work again.. why spend $100 dollars on tools to use just once.. $12.99 at Harbor.. the few times i have poped for more commonly used tools at harbor and they failed i had ZERO issues returning them, and even less time at the counter when i had my reciept. Best harbor freight purchase to date was a hand sander from "Chicage Electric" with coupon it cost me $12.00 compared to craftsman prices this was like a giveaway. The sander works flawless and ive used it a TON.. even if i do manage to break it, id go buy another one from them just based on price and how much use i got out of it. NOW on the flip side i wouldnt touch a socket set or there forget wrenches.. stuff just bends breaks way to easly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back