Adding USB 3.0 to an old Dell server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm killing time today (namely posting here) while trying to back up work files to a new WD 1TB Passport HD, as it's a painfully slow process due to my server's 2.0 USB ports. Using a little guestimation, it's going to be 4+ hours to backup records...and this is a process we'll need to be doing every night. We used to use 4mm backup tapes, but the drive is sort of sketchy and I'd like something a little more stable and w/more capacity; however, it was much faster (1.5hrs) than my new solution.

Alas, how hard is it to add USB 3.0 ports to an older Dell server (PowerEdge 1600SC) running Windows Server 2003 SE?

BTW: Sorry about my lack of computer knowledge. I'm not totally lost (I've built computers before), but messing w/my work server is another situation all together. Thanks!

M_C

Most Dell servers (or server boards in general), are of PCI-X varieties, or for older PCI slot types, they are at least the PCI-64 bit version. (not like those standard 32bit PCI slots typical of workstation class machines)

granted, you run Windows-based OS, pop open your cover to see if you have an extra vacant slot to accommodate a USB3.0 interface card, and from that you go online to research your options.

Q.

I have a Poweredge SC1430 that has PCI-E ports. You should have some too. In that case you should be able to find a PCIE USB 3.0 card and plug it in. Dont worry it its an x8 slot and you find x1 PCIE cards. They will work. You can put x1 and x4 cards in x8 slots. I have a x16 card in one of mine and that works too if you know where to cut.

USB3.0 would probably need at least a PCIe slot to have enough bandwidth to do anything useful and not bottle necking the USB. I assume you know that ultimately your hard drive (or other mechanical device) must also be USB3.0 and they have to be fast as well, in order to really transfer fast and take advantage of it.

Why not use a more native interface like eSATA instead? Those have less translation related speed loss (from USB to SATA) and most chipset have good SATA performance to begin with. Plus it is cheap.

Folks,

(** plse refer to OP's original message**)

We are dealing with a Dell 1600SC here (circa 2002?), so eSATA port as well as PCIe is definitely out of the question here.

Q.

Oh *raspberry*
I wrongly assumed since it was a 1600 and mine was a 1430 it must be newer, right?
Bleh.
I agree the eSATA via PCI-X (Or even PCI; If a single drive at a time it should have enough bandwidth. I get ~100MB+-15 from drives of this size.) is the best option.

Last edited:
PCI Express Enabled System w/ Available PCI Express Slot
is required or it will run only at your 2.0 speed.
Google is your friend.

There isn't a PCIe slot in this system, and no SATA, so you have to use a PCIX card like greenaccord mentioned, or something like this:

http://www.startech.com/product/PATA2SATA2-IDE-to-SATA-Adapter-Converter

PATA2SATA2.small.jpg

Then a sata to esata bracket like this:

ura_esata_bracket.jpg

Combine is probably about $20 for adapter and $4 for each bracket, and use your native motherboard connection.

If you are going to use a lot of drives and have no need for the PCIX slot for anything else, then the PCIX board may be a better solution.

Last edited:
The problem with that is IDE isnt designed to be hotpluggable. So you would have to restart the machine everytime you needed to plug it in or unplug it.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
PCI-X, Not PCIe.

U R right.

**getting old, memory slipping off like fried eggs on a teflon coated pan**
Q.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
A removable hard drive in a caddy would be my way. Bypass the USB completely.

Exactly.

There are better options but this is the best one so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back