87 Camaro w/ limited slip rear additive question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1987 camaro that has 70k on it and i want to change the diff fluid and gasket and the owners manual states that i need a GM limited slip additive. I was also told the as long a i used synthetic gear fluid that i don't need to use the additive.

What to do?

If you run synthetic you shouldn't need the LSD additive.
However, it won't hurt to add it if you already have it.
My 89 Firebird rear diff went 170k off of 4 vlv durablend 80w-90 changes. not one issue whatsoever. (wasn't a limited slip tho)

If you use the latest fluid that was originally designed for the Corvette limited slip and is also recommended for the CRX limited slip you don't need any additive. Available from dealerships for the last couple of years. Check the Corvette website.

so if i use the M1 75w90LS I shouldn't need the additive?

How does the Trans X additive stack up against the stock GM additive?

Originally Posted By: zr900
so if i use the M1 75w90LS I shouldn't need the additive?

How does the Trans X additive stack up against the stock GM additive?

The M1 says it already has the additive. If I need additive I use Motorcraft XL-3 (it really stinks).

Most differential gear oil already has the limited slip additive blended in, whether conventional or synthetic oil. If the label says that it is good for limited slip differentials, you're good. In a few cases, after working the new oil into the clutch discs, you notice some chattering, add a quarter tube of the additive, then make some slow, tight figure-8 turns to work the stuff into the clutches. More additive than it takes to cure chatter isn't better.

And, for the types of limited slip differentials that don't use clutches, no additive is needed.

The message is that for the DEXRON LS fluid no additive is needed and what's more if some additive is added it will probably be detrimental to overall performance.

A lot of gear oils claim that they do not require any additive and when you try them you find out that you do. It's a safe bet to just add the GM additive especially if have clutches in the differential.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
A lot of gear oils claim that they do not require any additive and when you try them you find out that you do. It's a safe bet to just add the GM additive especially if have clutches in the differential.

Well worth considering.

use valvoline 80w90 ( regular or durablend ) and gm or ford LSD bottle, dont use synthetic, I own 2 third gen camaro z28 before and that all I ever use. I did alot search at camaro forum and asking what peoples use in their camaro, and regular dino 80w90 with gm LSD is all they ever use. BTW I alway use gasket with little black rtv each side, for easy clean up and less scrub next gear oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zr900
I have a 1987 camaro that has 70k on it and i want to change the diff fluid and gasket and the owners manual states that i need a GM limited slip additive. I was also told the as long a i used synthetic gear fluid that i don't need to use the additive.

What to do?

My 2009 Cadillac calls for synthetic fluid with the additive. I would still add it. Be on the safe side.

An `87 with only 70k? Woah,that car`s barely getting broken in! You do realize it`s a requirement to post pics of that beauty! :^)

If using the DEXRON LS fluid no extra additive is required and what's more the effect is negative. More is not always better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back