k&n air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
no..i trust k&n more then the other companies. i have an inside source of the endless testing they do. and the proof is in the use of these filters for years. never leave any i mean any fine dust part. like the paper air filters do...have to clean out the throttle body periodically...it is my and respected engineers opinion the quality of filtration k&n products...

Dude, there have been so many real substantiated air filter tests done on K&N and other aftermarket filters, and K&N filters let more dirt in. PERIOD. Why do you even keep posting your unsubstantiated opinions??? You clearly have an agenda...

I would love to see those tests

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It's nice to see some real brand loyalty.

We are big fans of their oil filters, their air filters not so much.

Just too many strikes against them. No filter of any kind can be a great filter AND flow more. You don't get both.

I'm sure a lot of the K&N bashing is due to user error from improper cleaning and oiling, but c'mon...

There seems to be a lot of bashing on this site for anything not original to a vehicle because we all "know" if one thing is different and not original the vehicle will just fall apart. Supposedly no one knows better then the companies that make the vehicles so the ones that put cold air intakes on vehicles must just be stupid.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

There seems to be a lot of bashing on this site for anything not original to a vehicle because we all "know" if one thing is different and not original the vehicle will just fall apart. Supposedly no one knows better then the companies that make the vehicles so the ones that put cold air intakes on vehicles must just be stupid.

I see it differently. Most people on this site want to vary from the OE, but that's not my point.

The point is you have to judge each product on it's own merits. There's good stuff out there and there is garbage. Between, there is stuff that isn't detrimental but the gains are minimal and do not justify the expense. Semi garbage, I guess. Sometimes it's difficult to tell.

IMO, CAIs are a mixed bag but most of them don't live up to the hype in an everyday situation. Had a good dozen setups on various types of engines personally, seen stats on many more, and on an otherwise stock engine, the gains are minimal at best and usually at the higher rpm range. Five peak hp@ 5000 rpm for $300 on a V8 (an average.. some do better some do worse) is not a good buy, IMO. They can be more useful on an engines whose air needs have been increased from other mods but in that situation, it's not som much "gaining" as not losing because you don't have enough airflow capacity in the intakes system. Interestingly, some of the "Cold" air intakes I have tested actually delivered warmer air to the engine... go figure.

Some air intake system seem so well designed from the factory that I cant imagine a CAI could improve much.

Examples: My 03 Ranger and 00 XJ.
Both are well built intakes That have good performance on dusty gravel roads and never had a water issue, The jeep has gone in to some over the axles water many times and many a torrential downpour at HWY speeds.

I do like to use reusable Filters tho. I try to throw as little stuff as possible in to Our local landfill.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigmike
There's alot of fearmongering about K&N air filters. People have produced studies with bias and assumptions prior and I find that scholarly in error.

I'm sure that they do allow more debris through than most OEM filters, but how much that affects wear might be up to debate and extremely application and environmentally specific.

I've used K&N filters for hundreds of thousands of miles without issue on all of my vehicles. No damaged MAF sensors, throttle plates, or noticeable engine damage.

I am not 100% sure that K&N passes more dust into the engine than OEM paper filter, but just a thought that it MAY is enough for me to use OEM paper filter. I wouldn't spend more money for an air filter that MAY NOT filter as well as paper filter, and it is needed to be cleaned and oiled once in a while. More money and more work doesn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
no..i trust k&n more then the other companies. i have an inside source of the endless testing they do. and the proof is in the use of these filters for years. never leave any i mean any fine dust part. like the paper air filters do...have to clean out the throttle body periodically...it is my and respected engineers opinion the quality of filtration k&n products...

Yeah OK...the first thing I put on my Crown Vic at 1500 miles was a K&N...7500 miles later my intake tract had fine dust inside of it everywhere. I ditched it for a Wix Police filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back