Valvoline Engine Guarantee, anyone doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong....I think Valvoline has excellent oils....BUT IMO...its just a way to sell more oil....

Anything less than 6K to 7,500K on a Synthetic....is a waste of time, $$$, and resources....on the majority of engines.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Don't get me wrong....I think Valvoline has excellent oils....BUT IMO...its just a way to sell more oil....

Anything less than 6K to 7,500K on a Synthetic....is a waste of time, $$$, and resources....on the majority of engines.

+1

Originally Posted By: Steve S
How many people put 300,000 miles on their cars?
How long will it be before Valvoline cancells the program?

Hands raised! (on how many put 300,000+ miles on their vehicles)
19.gif

Check me as a "no" on the Valvoline guarantee.

I will however be signing up for the Quaker State money back program once I get back to the states and its OC time. They allow you to simply change when the manufacturer states instead of restricting you to a 3k mi/3mo routine, that and their products are usually the cheapest available it seems like a no brainer to me. Especially if you stock up when rebates or sales are going on.

As far the 300k mile club. I have not made it to 300k in any vehicle, however I will have about $50k worth of student loans to pay back so I plan on having my Charger until I get those paid off the very least, needless to say I will probably make it to the 300k well before I pay off the $50k.

Last edited:
Totally not worth it. Read the fine print, and you'll find that it doesn't actually cover ANYTHING. Genius marketing: Make up an incredible warranty so tons of people will buy your product, and never have to pay out a dime because of the fine print.

I'm at 216k with Synpower 10w-30, been in use since 51k
before that was durablend 10w30 which started at 20k before that was valvoline conventional

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Totally not worth it. Read the fine print, and you'll find that it doesn't actually cover ANYTHING. Genius marketing: Make up an incredible warranty so tons of people will buy your product, and never have to pay out a dime because of the fine print.
have you read it by chance? I haven't read the valvoline guarantee....but have read the QS and Pennzoil guarantees....they seem to be "legit" but the whole idea to me seems kind of crazy, sure it's cool they are publicly guaranteeing their oil for 300k......BUT, with Valvoline, I believe you have to use SynPower the whole time......the QS 300k warranty seems to be a tad more "lax" you follow your manufacturers maintenance schedule (don't think the maintenance minder applies! lol....did NOT see any mention of that though...)

But the Pennzoil engine guarantee is real sketch, have to change the oil every 4k or something....lol, seems ridiculous.

And the whole idea (per the nay-sayers.....) is the fact that if you are changing a "quality" motor oil every 4,000 miles, you should not ever "HAVE" a "lubrication related problem" with the engine/motor oil.......and simply put, that's all they are covering.

If the car overheats, and the engine blows, you aren't covered, since it wasn't a "lubrication related problem" - but a cooling system neglect/problem that caused the engine to overheat, and thus blow up
wink.gif

And believe me, I'm sure they have labs ready to evaluate the engine oil, the coolant, and every other possible fluid for possible "neglect" if you happen to make a claim.

The QS 300k seems neat though........BUT, they aren't saying you get $3000 if you can make the car go 300k miles on their product......they base it on the trade-in value of the vehicle in "fair" condition, per KBB if I recall......and it's only valid on vehicles that have been manufactured in the past 2-5 years....

If you use the 300k "guarantee", Valvoline makes so much money of of you they could buy you a new corporate jet. Trust me it works out EXTREMELY well in their favor. I'm sure they will buy themselves a corporate jet (or 12) though. Same goes with all of the oil co's...500,000mi on Pennzoil...it is just ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Doing it for the rebates, the guarantee is lame.

John

This is the whole point for most of us here.
This is a stealth rebate program, with the only limit being based upon how many cars you enroll.
Using a code found on a hang tag, I'll get $15.00 back on two gallons of clearance Maxlife SB bought for $10.70 each.
So, after sales tax and postage and MIR, I'm paying around .90/qt for Maxlife SB.
The significance of this program is that it allows an unlimited number of cheap after MIR purchases.
The guarantee part is nonsense, and I can't imagine sticking to either Valvoline products or changing as often as required for the life of a vehicle.
Even more frequent changes than I already do, and the boredom factor of not trying different oils.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
have you read it by chance?

Yep, I've read it. Here are some snippets from Valvoline's website:

It only covers "oil wetted" parts in the engine:

Quote:
“Covered Engine Parts” means all internal "oil wetted" engine parts, including: pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connection rods and rod bearings, camshaft and camshaft bearings, timing chain and timing gears, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, guides, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters and rocker arm shafts. The engine block and cylinder heads are also covered if mechanical failure was caused by a failure of the above-listed parts. Covered Engine Parts does not include the following: a) all fuel system parts, b) all ignition, starting and electrical system parts, c) turbocharger and supercharger systems, d) the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, and e) exhaust manifolds

If you never change the oil and the engine sludges and seizes, it's not covered:

Quote:
The Covered Consumer must comply with all scheduled engine maintenance recommended by the Qualifying Vehicle’s manufacturer as outlined in the Qualifying Vehicle’s owners manual. The Covered Consumer must repair significant oil leaks and perform other necessary maintenance and repairs to prevent damage to the engine.

If the engine fails due to overheating, it's not covered:

Quote:
3.“Qualifying Engine Breakdown” means a) the immediate and apparent total mechanical failure of a Covered Part to work as it was designed to work in normal services, and b) the vehicle electrical, fuel, computer engine management, cooling, induction and exhaust systems are all working properly, and are not the cause of engine failure.

If engine fails because timing belt snapped, it's not covered. Also, if the oil somehow leaks out and the engine seizes, it's not covered:

Quote:
THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER CLAIMS THAT ARE THE RESULT OF: COLLISION OR OTHER ACCIDENT; THEFT; VANDALISM; RIOT; EXPLOSION; EARTHQUAKE; LIGHTNING; FREEZING; OVERHEATING; INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL FIRE; WATER OR FLOOD DAMAGE (INCLUDING PRIOR FLOOD DAMAGE); NEGLIGENT, RECKLESS, KNOWING OR INTENTIONAL DAMAGE; TIMING BELT FAILURE; IMPROPER SERVICE OR MAINTENANCE; DEFECT ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER; IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF ANY PART; FLUID CONTAMINATION (I.E., COOLANT, FUEL, WATER OR FOREIGN MATERIAL); OR THE FAILURE TO KEEP THE MOTOR OIL AND ENGINE COOLANT AT LEVELS PRESCRIBED BY THE MANUFACTURER

It doesn't cover wear and tear like worn piston rings and other worn out parts:

Quote:
A Qualifying Engine Breakdown does not include the reduction in operating performance due to wear and tear, including a reduction in engine compression due to worn rings or valves, or abnormal sounds such as “knocking,” “pinging,” or “rattling” sounds when a breakdown has not occurred.

There, I just listed every single way an engine can possibly fail, and the guarantee doesn't cover any of it.

https://valvoline.promo.eprize.com/engineguarantee/view_terms

And Valvoline should NOT have to warranty if the oil was never changed, the engine was overheated due to any coolant system problems, normal wear parts or if the timing belt broke.

How are any of those "issues" Valvoline's responsibility?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
And Valvoline should NOT have to warranty if the oil was never changed, the engine was overheated due to any coolant system problems, normal wear parts or if the timing belt broke.

+1

+2

I use the warranty for the rebates. I'm running out of cars to register though...lol

Bill, I'm not disagreeing with you. But really, how else can an engine possibly fail? It doesn't change the fact that this warranty is useless.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Bill, I'm not disagreeing with you. But really, how else can an engine possibly fail? It doesn't change the fact that this warranty is useless.

And you have come to the place that I've been for years with Mobil, Valvoline, QS, Pennzoil and so on with their marketing warranty.
cheers3.gif

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back