Friend backed into my car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really that bad, and more of an inconvenience, really. I was at a friend's house for breakfast and he had to leave to run a quick errand... he then comes back in the house and asks me outside. I saw the right rear quarter of his Volvo XC70 with a mark and cracked tail light, and my heart sank, but his car really didn't look bad. No body damage... I asked him how bad. He said "pretty bad". I'm thinking a small dent or scrape over the wheel or something... no such luck.

damage11.JPG

damage21.JPG

damage31.JPG

So I'm looking at both door skins needing repair, at least. The driver's door does open using the inside handle, but not always with the outside handle (sometimes it catches). I haven't tried opening either window, and won't. We don't really want insurance involved (he's had it pretty bad in the luck department with accidents) and he wants to pay for repairs. Will start making phone calls Monday, but just wanted to see what you all think I might be looking at, from your combined experience.

Honestly, I'm not all that upset about it. After all, it's just a car, no one was hurt, and it could have been much worse.

He has made his own bad luck it appears. Let the insurance handle it or the friendship can turn to caca real quick and you're stuck with a beat up car.

That a big one. I'd bet $3-4000 to get it right. At least both skins (if the drivers door did not get bent on the beam. If the beam is bent new door) trim and paint. Plus dis assembly and paint plus its silver so matching is going to take time.

Sorry to hear about the incident. Keep us informed.

Bill

PS: Excellent mindset on messing with the window! Leave it alone.

I can't see it being much worse, given the circumstances. It looks like he hesitated before hitting the brakes, allowing what might have been a minor oops to become an expensive repair.

I'm glad you're taking this all so well, since this is the kind of thing that can ruin lesser relationships. Say, he begs you not to get insurance involved, but you want it to be taken care of properly AND promplty, so he offers to pay it all up front. Now let's say that the bill ends up being a grand or more and he can't handle all of that at once. You'll want to be the good friend and allow him to pay back the portion you covered over time. It might not end well - I'm pretty giving and understanding, too, but when a month turns into a year or more...

If it were me, I'd get insurance involved for something this extensive. It's sad to say, but your friend might want to start using mass transit if he's having so many at-fault accidents due to lack of paying attention...just like this one.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I can't see it being much worse, given the circumstances. It looks like he hesitated before hitting the brakes, allowing what might have been a minor oops to become an expensive repair.

I'm glad you're taking this all so well, since this is the kind of thing that can ruin lesser relationships. Say, he begs you not to get insurance involved, but you want it to be taken care of properly AND promplty, so he offers to pay it all up front. Now let's say that the bill ends up being a grand or more and he can't handle all of that at once. You'll want to be the good friend and allow him to pay back the portion you covered over time. It might not end well - I'm pretty giving and understanding, too, but when a month turns into a year or more...

If it were me, I'd get insurance involved for something this extensive. It's sad to say, but your friend might want to start using mass transit if he's having so many at-fault accidents due to lack of paying attention...just like this one.

I've seen people get burned on these "let's be friends and not get police/insurance involved" deals. Let insurance handle it.

My wife got hit by an uninsured driver, thank god we have uninsured motorist coverage. Didn't look too bad....bill? $7400! I about fainted. So who knows, this could be thousands. Is your friend going to cough it up?

John

I'm going to guess at least $3000 if they replace both door skins. Bodywork ain't cheap, especially if you want it done right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

A BIG +1

Well, let's just say this isn't the first time he's hit someone in his driveway... he's my pastor and has people at his house every Saturday morning... he's repaired a few cars already. He'll be held accountable by many, and I would trust him with my life. He's not monetarily loaded in any way, but it'll get fixed one way or another.

Nothing rubs, all the lines and gaps appear to be straight and proper. We shall see after the estimates I guess...

I know of a similar situation where to avoid any friendship issues the "Victim" drove to a shopping center and "Discovered" the damage there. Then used his insurance to get it fixed. In this state the comprehensive claim can't affect his rate. FWIW

Think I'd call my insurance agent and ask.

It looks like a $1000 to $2500 insurance job to me. I wouldn't re-skin either door, instead get some salvage yard doors. The silver paint is a bear to match, but hopefully it won't be to bad. Good luck!

Think I'd park somewhere else...
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
He has made his own bad luck it appears. Let the insurance handle it or the friendship can turn to caca real quick and you're stuck with a beat up car.

+1.....thats what insurance is for
Originally Posted By: spasm3
probably cheaper to get 2 doors from the junkyard and repaint them.

This might be a good and cheaper option.....

When I wrecked my truck I got a junkyard door from a 1994 Ranger. It bolted up and latched perfectly on the first try. Absolutely no adjustments since the hinges were fine. The door had good glass, so I just swapped the door panel. The door will lock/unlock from the inside, but I haven't installed the key part from my original door yet because it doesn't fit on the "new" older door. It's on the passenger side, so it hasn't bothered me enough to change it yet. I paid something like $75...not bad for a 100% complete OEM door.

Certifit wanted something like $285 for an empty door shell from a no-name aftermarket manufacturer. Cheapo parts like that are often thinner and flimsier than OEM, even if the fit is decent. For a door I'd definitely go with OEM, but a new OEM door will be a lot of money. Used is the way to go.

what a mess. I'd definitely get this in writing, whatever you all happen to do......

By now, It's likely "too late" for you to even make an insurance claim....."Oh...hey, I errr....just got into an accident, well, it was my friend, who backed into me, and he wanted to let's make a deal, but he don't got the money at the moment, so I need to make a claim"

sadly, a scenario like that wouldn't work out too well with the insurance company.....to the one reply regarding taking the vehicle to a super store and "discovering" the damage, just hope the store doesn't have cameras.....but really, most do.....and if it's a store you frequent a lot, I wouldn't personally take this route.....as it may affect your "service" in the future...

You sure it's only the door shell? The beam isn't bent or dinged is it? If not, he got lucky
wink.gif

Take it to an automatic car wash, that'll tell you how bad the damage really is, if it leaks.....bad, if it don't, not too bad....but it really looks like bad damage.....may honestly be easier for him to just pay the deductible.....BUT, if you were to report it, your "friend" would have risk of losing/dropped insurance I suppose, if he's had as many accidents as it sounds....

I would find a place that will use used doors. When my Z-28 got hit I talked the place into gettng a boneyard door. Was cheaper and the skin wasn't replaces and in the long run it was just a better repair.

That little crease by the B-pillar is going to turn a little thing into a big deal.

Down here something like that would probably run about $4K to get it fixed correctly.

I understand he's your friend, but get three estimates from three reputable places and go from there. Going cheap on something like this never works out well. If that's not cool with him, hand it over to insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back