Suggested diesel additives for Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI and am wondering what fuel additive I should use (if any) to help improve lubricity. I've seen lots of people say the Optilube XPD works wonders and they quote the Spicer fuel study as evidence. I've had good experience with RLI's Bio-Plus in my gas vehicles so I'm wondering if their Bio-Power is worthwhile for diesel.

Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Any two stroke oil is fine. I am running 8oz for every fillup. I have been running Halvoline TCW3 dino and Phillips Injex Pro TC synthetic blend. Got better mileage with the 2T oil mix.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I though that diesel, out of all fuels, would not have any lubricity problems?

From what I understand the ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel here in the US can have problems with lubricity.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
The new TDI is designed for the low sulfur fuels that are now available. It shouldn't need any additives for lubricity.

Technically, you are probably correct. But there have been a number of high pressure fuel pump failures that look like they could be due to low lubricity. There's no specific proof of that but I'd rather err on safe side if I can.

Originally Posted By: ruleof72

From what I understand the ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel here in the US can have problems with lubricity.

From what I've seen, the US diesel still has more sulfur than diesel fuel in Europe, although less than in the past.

The new TDI is designed for the low sulfur fuels that are now available. It shouldn't need any additives for lubricity.

Disagree, US fuels do not have the same lubricity as European diesel, which is what the car was designed for. As the OP noted, there have been a number of high pressure fuel pump failures on the common-rail TDI's in the 2009+ cars.

Me personally I would just use something like PowerService which is available at Walmart.

You are still in warranty. If you want to stay that way do not put anything in it. Or as my friends say: "Be your own warranty station".
The engine is designed to operate on the US ULSD fuel without needing anything.
These new diesel are expensive to repair.
Knowing that, make a decision.
I have couple of friends with TDI Jettas. One has over 300000 on his. The other has almost 100000 on a 09 Jetta, they do not add anything, and have not had issues with the engine, besides maintenance. I want to get one of those 2011 Jetta Wagons.
Ilian
Ilian

Running biodiesel is going to be the best additive as it will offer the highest lubricity of any additive. Running just B2 up to B5 will really help.

Originally Posted By: adamrc
Running biodiesel is going to be the best additive as it will offer the highest lubricity of any additive. Running just B2 up to B5 will really help.

Yes, assuming you can find it or make it yourself. Most BD seller are out of business.

2 cycle oil has been proven to improve ULSD lubricity. For other additive properties, just buy one of the diesel additive not gas additive though.

Last edited:
2 cycle is not ULSD compliant and should not be used in the OP's 2011.

RLI's Bio-Power is an excellent additive and my additive of choice although I'm going to try some FPPlus to see if it makes a difference on soot control.

Originally Posted By: wensteph
2 cycle is not ULSD compliant and should not be used in the OP's 2011.

RLI's Bio-Power is an excellent additive and my additive of choice although I'm going to try some FPPlus to see if it makes a difference on soot control.

What did you notice with RLI biopower?

From what I've seen, the US diesel still has more sulfur than diesel fuel in Europe, although less than in the past.

Is true exactly the contrary. Us diesel is more dry cause the lower sulfur in it.

Though, despite i live in Europe, i ALWAYS use additive in my Honda diesel engine. I tested PowerService DieselKleen with good results, but i obtained best result with Wynn's products (the only products that i use now). But i don't know if Wynn's are available in the US.

I use Wynn's Diesel Sistem Cleaner every 20k km for a deep cleaning.
And use a maintenance product (at every full-up in percentage of 1ml for liter) that provide to increase lubricity, constant and gentle cleaning and increase cetane number, this product is Supremium Diesel, if available in US i advice it.

The new TDI is designed for the low sulfur fuels that are now available.

While I've not seen anything definite on the root cause, it appears the failed HPFPs are due to low lubricity fuel.

US-spec fuel can (and often does) have major lubricity problems. Bosch, Stanadyne, etc... released a joint FIEM statement saying that < 460µm HFRR wear scar was necessary for acceptable component life. US fuel is spec'd at < 520 µm but due to the nature of the test it can test at 560 µm and still pass!

Absolutely correct. B2 gives you the best bang-for-the-buck lubricity and will bring even 560µm fuel well into the 300µm range.

And it's available in Atlanta, last I heard - B20 at the Refuel Biodiesel containerized pump:

250 Arizona Street
Atlanta, GA 30307

Hopefully they'll have the B100 pump running again soon.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
HPFP in your car is most likely Bosch w/TEFLON coated internals.

Very doubtful it's Teflon/PTFE coated - most likely DLC or one of the other newish coatings for wear resistance.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
The new TDI is designed for the low sulfur fuels that are now available.

While I've not seen anything definite on the root cause, it appears the failed HPFPs are due to low lubricity fuel.

US-spec fuel can (and often does) have major lubricity problems. Bosch, Stanadyne, etc... released a joint FIEM statement saying that < 460µm HFRR wear scar was necessary for acceptable component life. US fuel is spec'd at < 520 µm but due to the nature of the test it can test at 560 µm and still pass!

Absolutely correct. B2 gives you the best bang-for-the-buck lubricity and will bring even 560µm fuel well into the 300µm range.

And it's available in Atlanta, last I heard - B20 at the Refuel Biodiesel containerized pump:

250 Arizona Street
Atlanta, GA 30307

Hopefully they'll have the B100 pump running again soon.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
HPFP in your car is most likely Bosch w/TEFLON coated internals.

Very doubtful it's Teflon/PTFE coated - most likely DLC or one of the other newish coatings for wear resistance.
DLC works fine doesn't really matter what it coated with otherthan that it's madefor usfuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back