5w-20 Oil Consumption - Newer Mazdas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Mazda MX5 and it burns no oil. Yearly oil changes with about 7,000 miles a year on whatever synthetic is on sale. 5-30 and wix filters.

My 03' Ford Focus (2.3L Duratec)....has just under 100.000 miles on the clock....does not use a drop of oil.

My current fill is PP 5w20....with an OCI of 8,000 +/-....but I've used M1- 5w20EP and Valvoline Synpower 5w20. Never any problems with oil consumption.

I have done 5K oci since new using Kendall and motorcraft with no issues. A lot of Mazda 3 owners in the mazda forums who drive 10k OCI usually use PP with no issues. Mazda's seems to run good with PP for long OCI.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Try changing brands of oil as already mentioned. A qt of oil every 5K miles isn't terrible. Honestly bringing it back to the dealer is going to get you nowhere, since they are going to tell you it is normal oil consumption.

There is a case to be made for documenting the consumption. What happens if it goes to 2-3 qts/5K by 40 or 50K. You can indicate "I've complained about it since 20K miles"

BTW, my 2006 2.3NS uses no oil in 8K. ASM is the fill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back