Oil emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a bottle or two of STP oil treatment in the crankcase to thicken it up a bit, "just in case".

Recommended HTHS viscosity for this engine is 5.4 cP (Castrol 10W-60).

Mobil 1 0W-40 HTHS viscosity is 3.8 cP.

So, even the Mobil 1 0W-40 could easily cause bearing failure due to oil-film breakdown in this engine if what BMW is recommending is based on any sound grounds. 5.4 cP vs. 3.8 cP is a huge difference for the HTHS viscosity.

If you believe what BMW is recommending, you should drive very gently with 0W-40 oil in this engine.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
I would say in the US the 0-40 would be the number 1 oil used in this application for DIY OCers

Perhaps given the relatively modest speed limits in US, xW-40 is OK with this engine although xW-60 is being recommended. Chances are that xW-60 recommendation is made in mind with that these cars are typically driven 125 - 140 MPH on German autobahns, with some drivers driving them as fast as they can go.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
I would say in the US the 0-40 would be the number 1 oil used in this application for DIY OCers

Perhaps given the relatively modest speed limits in US, xW-40 is OK with this engine

But in Europe, 5w-30 LL01 oil is also recommended for this engine (starting from 3/2000).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But in Europe, 5w-30 LL01 oil is also recommended for this engine (starting from 3/2000).

According to BMW, the only recommended and approved viscosity for oil changes for this engine is 10W-60. The alternative viscosities for this engine for makeup oil only (if the owner cannot find the preferred viscosity to use for makeup oil) are 10W-40, 5W-50, and 10W-50.

They are also recommending API SK, which has never even existed! LOL
smile.gif

Recommended HTHS viscosity for this engine is 5.4 cP (Castrol 10W-60).

Mobil 1 0W-40 HTHS viscosity is 3.8 cP.

So, even the Mobil 1 0W-40 could easily cause bearing failure due to oil-film breakdown in this engine if what BMW is recommending is based on any sound grounds. 5.4 cP vs. 3.8 cP is a huge difference for the HTHS viscosity.

If you believe what BMW is recommending, you should drive very gently with 0W-40 oil in this engine.

I hear Porsches are supposed to be driven gently with M1 0-40. Very gently.

According to BMW, the only recommended and approved viscosity for oil changes for this engine is 10W-60. The alternative viscosities for this engine for makeup oil only (if the owner cannot find the preferred viscosity to use for makeup oil) are 10W-40, 5W-50, and 10W-50.

smile.gif

Yeah, lots of confusing info out there. Here's a page from a recent BMW TIS. As you can see, they just require any LL01/LL98 oil for S62 engines from 3/2000. 10w-60 is only required up until 2/2000.

BMW_oil_type_by_engine_5_2009.png

smile.gif

I have the oil recommendation sheet FROM BMW in front of me. Chrysler called them when I was freaking out and they faxed it over.

It CLEARLY STATES that engines produced after 03/2000 spec 5w30, NOT the 10w60. But that 10w60 can be run in them with no adverse affects.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
It CLEARLY STATES that engines produced after 03/2000 spec 5w30, NOT the 10w60. But that 10w60 can be run in them with no adverse affects.

Since fresh 0W-20 has a higher HTHS viscosity than used 5W-30, this means that you were never in any danger of experiencing increased engine wear or engine damage as a result of them putting 0W-20 instead of 5W-30.

Since fresh 0W-20 has a higher HTHS viscosity than used 5W-30, this means that you were never in any danger of experiencing increased engine wear or engine damage as a result of them putting 0W-20 instead of 5W-30.

But that didn't stop me from freaking out
grin.gif

I'm fine now however. The S62 is big money engine and I don't know any engine builders competent enough to work on one. Not that I don't know a good engine builder or two; but that any of the ones I do know have zero experience with alumasil blocks and something as exotic as this.

Maybe U.S. based 5w-30, I doubt it's thicker than a Euro spec'ed ACEA A3 5w30 (HT/HS or 3.5cp)

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Maybe U.S. based 5w-30, I doubt it's thicker than a Euro spec'ed ACEA A3 5w30 (HT/HS or 3.5cp)

I see. I didn't realize that it was ACEA A3. In that case, 3.5 cP is the minimum allowed fresh-oil HTHS viscosity. Perhaps it would shear down to near or below 3.0 cP with used oil.

In that case, you can't use most xW-30 oils with this car. You should either find an ACEA A3 xW-30 or use an xW-40 or thicker oil. They all have fresh-oil HTHS viscosity of 3.5 cP or higher.

In US a good substitute for the European ACEA A3 oils would be the API CJ-4/SM 5W-40 oils. While they are intended mainly for heavy-duty diesel engines, they should work very well in these high performance engines as well. Rotella T6 5W-40 CJ-4/SM fully synthetic oil for example would be a great and economical US substitute for ACEA A3 in my opinion. Note that Rotella T5 10W-30 CJ-4/SM semisynthetic oil also has HTHS viscosity >= 3.5 cP.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I see. I didn't realize that it was ACEA A3. In that case, 3.5 cP is the minimum allowed fresh-oil HTHS viscosity. Perhaps it would shear down to near or below 3.0 cP with used oil.

In that case, you can't use most xW-30 oils with this car. You should either find an ACEA A3 xW-30 or use an xW-40 or thicker oil. They all have fresh-oil HTHS viscosity of 3.5 cP or higher.

In US a good substitute for the European ACEA A3 oils would be the API CJ-4/SM 5W-40 oils. While they are intended mainly for heavy-duty diesel engines, they should work very well in these high performance engines as well. Rotella T6 5W-40 CJ-4/SM fully synthetic oil for example would be a great and economical US substitute for ACEA A3 in my opinion. Note that Rotella T5 10W-30 CJ-4/SM semisynthetic oil also has HTHS viscosity >= 3.5 cP.

The oil I will be using is M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: steve20
6 pages later, and I'm still trying to figure out why you bought a BMW from a Chrysler dealer?

I manage their network.

Originally Posted By: steve20
6 pages later, and I'm still trying to figure out why you bought a BMW from a Chrysler dealer?

Canadians like to be different, I bought my Corvette from an Infiniti dealer!
smile.gif

The oil I will be using is M1 0w40.

Mobil 1 0W-40 should be a fine or excellent choice. With a fresh-oil HTHS viscosity of 3.8 cP, it would meet ACEA A3 (3.5 cP minimum). 0W- is also great for the Canadian climate. It's also loaded with ZDDP (1000 ppm P), always a plus for wear protection. It has good starting TBN for extended drains.

The only minor drawback is the high sulphated-ash level (1.3%) (sulphated-ash test = measuring the overall metal-additive content), but it would mainly be a concern for diesel engines with particulate filters.

Yes, it was the oil Doug Hillary suggested I run, and is the oil recommended by Mobil for this application.

I picked up two cases of it today.

I picked up two cases of it today.

Is it SN-rated? I see that Mobil 1 Web page already shows the SN rating for 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back